Collaborative Timeline: The Sequel!

Yeah, I know, the other one is still running, and I and hopefully others will also work on it, but I have sort of gotten the desire to write other things, and I have some ideas for a new one. The same premise will be featured here: A date is picked, and history takes a left turn.

Date: 476

Arguably the greatest empire ever up to this point has finally succumbed to Germanic, Celtic, Hunnic, and various other tribes. Europe has fallen into chaos, who will fill the massive power vacuum? Will someone reunite the empire? Will a new era of darkness occur, or will a golden era emerge? Will I ever stop asking questions?

Last edited:
A VERY short post to start out, I'm at school ;):

Armorica

Budic II was out training with his infantry. He had recently heard of Rome's collapse to the warlord Odoacer. "His military should be powerful enough," he thought. He had recently claimed the title of "Armorico Regi", or king of Brittanny, here called Armorica. He was planning to attack the disorganized kingdom of Soissons, who quickly fell into internal warfare and fights over food and resources to the east, and expand his kingdom. His more large plans were to unify Gaul. Of course this wouldn't be accomplished within his lifetime, but he meant to tell his child, Budic III(Name is out of loss for an idea :eek:) once he was of ripe age.

The current regiment that he was training was preparing to attack the city of Adecavus, along the Loire river. At home, the capital city of Nantes was beginning to receive major developments on infrastructure and defense. Many soldiers began attack the city, laying siege to the island. The amount of Briton troops were able to overwhelm he defenders, due to the small size of the Soisson garrison. The soldiers continued to conquer much of southern Soissons, along the Loire.

e4b451ce50eae20b844c0dbda5650fa1.jpg

Fights outside Nantes

Sossions response

Sygarius's realm was in chaos, but it wasn't as bad as many thought, he had ruled this realm autonomsly from Rome for over 10 years now and he knew how to handle this situation. Even so, due to the state of his state (lol) he could not gather a large enough response force to face Buric II. Thus he sent a request for help to the Salian Franks, who had no interest in having a strong state neighbouring them rather than the disorganized Sossions. Therefore an army of Salian Franks was sent under the son of Childreric, Clovis, numbering 3000 men. They were joined by Sygarius and a 1000 men from Sossions, and began marching south down to Adecavus to meet the Armorican armies.
They would meet in battle, 20 km north of Adecavus.

Also it would be nice if this timeline didn't leave reality as much as the last one did, because the last one was insanly unlikely tbh

Last edited:
The Ships of The Goguryeo

The far eastern nations, compared to the Europeans, were doing much better in technology already, as the fall of Rome led to massive amounts of disorganization, and actual loss of technology. The Goguryeoans, we'll just call them the Koreans, were developing at an astonishing rate. Their culture and focus of their nation in general was moving towards a maritime society, which was understandable considering being located on a peninsula. Their relations with the Wei Dynasty were improving, and they could be considered allies at this point. Ships from this time period belonging to them have been discovered by modern-day archeologists as far away as India, and trade flourished under their rule.

The Rise of Ghana

Over in Africa, a large civilization(For the region) was developing along the Niger River, and, much like the Koreans, were profiting greatly from trade. However, this was via the rivers near them and trade caravans. Many merchants even told of "A large government falling apart" from traders in Carthago. At this time, the river was supplying much more food, as it was a lot more fertile along the sides. Ghana also was beginning to establish small trade outposts along the rivers in Africa. They also were a powerful military society, with Ghana literally meaning warrior. The military conquered many tribes around them, however the government was not yet ready to handle such a large amount of land.

The Eastern Romans

Finally, the Eastern Roman Empire which is now more well known as Byzantium, is experiencing a golden era of culture and the arts, despite their brother falling. Under Emperor Zeno, many military conquests ensued, including a successful operation against Odoacer, seizing parts of Southern Italy, eventually being the bases for further attacks on Italy, hopefully Rome will be recaptured as well. However, they also had a rival to the east. The Sassanian Empire. They were currently in an ancient form of an arms race, trying to get the best and newest technology to outshine the other.

The capital of Constantinople was also growing. Many churches were being built, and the "patriarch", a title for the head of the current church being used in Byzantium, was located in Constantinople. The title was established shorty after Rome's fall, primarily as a rank granted by the Emperor to have someone to handle religious matters. An attack was also being planned on the Vandals, who invaded North Africa, and were currently right in the way of the Byzantines.

beb76643489a68552cef58294a0c0b40.jpg

A Korean vessel.

Last edited:
AmericanAdam there is a small problem with your last update.

Justinian only became Emperor in 527 so it would be a little hard for him to order campaigns against Odoacer, considering that in the 470th's Justinian still hadn't been born.

Also it had only been under Anastasius I Dicorus (R. 11 April 491 – 9 July 518) that the ERE begun to recover and the economy begun to improve, given that the TL begins in 476 the Emperor is Zeno and it took him all of his reign to stabilize the Empire.

Plus a small correction - Pope only became a reserved title in the 11th century and in the 5th it was used to refer to all bishops.

Other than that keep up the good work mates, I would like to participate but I'm short on time at the moment.

The Battle of Adevacus

The battle of Adevacus took place on the 30th of May 477 20 km north of the city Adevacus which had just recently falled into the hands of Budic II. On one side were the Frankish-Roman army of 4000 men, led by Clovis and Sygarius and on the other side 5500 Armorican men led by Budic II.

The battle started in earnest, with almost no skrimishing at all. Both lines clashed vigourosly against eachother. After a while, the numerical supiriority of the Armorican troops began to signal, and Sygarius's left flank began to faulter. Seeing a chance for quick victory, Budic II launched most of his reserves at the left line. Unbeknown to him, Clovis was about to lead a massive assualt on the right flank of his army. Budic's massive assualt on the left line proved its worth, Sygarius left line split up into two, with the far left breaking and the inner left keeping to the army only due to the presence of Sygarius there. But so did Clovis's attack on Budic's left side, but in this instance the entire left line of Budic routed, but sitll his centre held. As time progressed the battle ended in a kind of stalemate, and it began to be clear to most that as the sunset was about to set in that there would either be another day of battle or either side had to retreat.

Hey, anyone wanna pick up this loose end? Its a collabrative timeline after all :)

AmericanAdam there is a small problem with your last update.

Justinian only became Emperor in 527 so it would be a little hard for him to order campaigns against Odoacer, considering that in the 470th's Justinian still hadn't been born.

Also it had only been under Anastasius I Dicorus (R. 11 April 491 – 9 July 518) that the ERE begun to recover and the economy begun to improve, given that the TL begins in 476 the Emperor is Zeno and it took him all of his reign to stabilize the Empire.

Plus a small correction - Pope only became a reserved title in the 11th century and in the 5th it was used to refer to all bishops.

Other than that keep up the good work mates, I would like to participate but I'm short on time at the moment.

I clearly need to study more on medieval history :p

Thank you!

Hey, anyone wanna pick up this loose end? Its a collabrative timeline after all :)

I'll try, I am not very good with battles, though :eek:

The Next Day

Near Adecavus, a battle had just retired for the night. It would ultimately decide the fate of the war, considering most forces of each side were poured into it. On the Frankish-Soisson side, they had a total of 2,353, while the Armoricans had lost more men, but still ahead in manpower, at 2,643 troops. The battle began with a reorganization of both sides, with Clovis being the leader of the Frankish-Soisson army, and Budic II leading the Armoricans again. The battle continued much like it had started, in a full on charge against eachother. The upper hand was gained by Budic, when he strategically was able to gain ground via a hill, and his archers began to fire upon the enemy as they charged forward. The entire left and right flank were taken out by the Armoricans by surrounding the opposing army, and it ended in an Armorican victory. However, this victory was not without it's consequences for Budic II. He had lost massive amounts of men, with only 1,732 men remaining, including archers and cavalry. The Armoricans pressed further into Soisson land, taking quite a bit of land by the end of the day.

Short, as I am at school again. I hope this is realistic!

Updated Map

I added some updates to the map. This includes:

- Changed borders with uncolonized land so that colonization is easier to show

- Added invasion paths in Soissons by Armorica

- Changed borders to more realistic/actual versions

Map for timeline 5.png

The Beginnings of the Great Migrations of The First Millenium

Over in Germania, the power vacuum of Germanic tribes flooding into post-Roman territories in search of land led to openings for new tribes to come in and occupy their former territories. It was also becoming ever more obvious that the newly propped up governments in remote regions for the Germans were going to be overthrown by the natives. On of these examples was the Vandals who were in North Africa. They were having constant uprisings from the current population, and risks of being invaded by the Byzantine Empire. Back in Germania, Slavic Tribes were beginning to pour over the Oder River around 490 AD. The most common of these were the Venetsi peoples, who migrated from regions in OTL Silesia and Western Poland. They moved into the little populated territories along the western side of the Oder and founded Venetika, a new nation similar to the Germanic invasion nations, established in Germania itself. These regions began to experience a Slavic mass-migration, and many Germans were forced to move south and west. These events triggered the beginning of the Great Migration, a movement of peoples from other regions in Europe, Asia, and Africa moving into the now unstable European regions. Similar to the Venetiks, a large group of Huns disgruntled about the state of constant warfare finally decided to move about and find an area to settle. As they explored, they ended up settling down in coastal Baltic regions. This founded the new nation of Ujkfold along the Baltic Coastline. They slowly colonized the coastline, staying far from inland, and quickly became a more maritime people. They eventually centralized much more, with the capital of Üjkh being founded, and much research going into neighboring technologies.

2662091-hunlar_hangi__lkeye_aitler.jpg

Hunnic Settlers

Rise of the Britons and the Creation of the British Republic

Dux [King Author True Name] here was brave Dux that lead Briton people and he create strong senate/council to help guide his nation but one campaign, He was man that respect many puality of faiths that were Britannia during the times, Two Major were Roman&Celtic Pagan and Christian... (OCC : there should lot religious confict I would Imagine)

Because of he fall during he glorious campaign against the Saxon and other tribe that invade Britannia

The Senate/Council Elect a Steward or Protector that rule instead of king, many did wish Dux return and it will seem that shadow of times shall forever bide well

(PS : I always want attempt Romano-British Res Publica, but I'm not sure how realistic the could make out to be)

Last edited:
The invasion of the Vandals

Plans were finalized in the Summer of 501 in Constantinople for an invasion of the Vandalic North African holdings. It was also decided that plans would be made for further conquests, specifically the recapture of Rome itself. The First Aegyptus Regiment, located in Tripoli, was prepared to attack the eastern Vandals. The army quickly moved in, facing little opposition. As land was captured, rebellions in Carthago ignited, preparing to take the capital of their homeland, the Carthaginians revolted, taking Carthago. The Roman army continued westward, and they finally conquered all of their mainland. While this was going on, to the north, a large fleet of 30 galleys was sent to Sicily to capture it, with Corsica, the Balaerics, and Sardinia next on their list. All four islands were also captured with little opposition, and the Vandals soon surrendered. Plans to reunite Rome were coming along steadily, but lots of opposition would be met if they attempted it.

Christianity Spreads

To the south, Africans gaining more knowledge of the Romans were quickly gaining knowledge of Christianity as well. It wasn't long before missionaries began arriving in Koumbi Saleh. The Ghanians, frankly, didn't really care much for their former religion at this point, and many began fearing for the afterlife. They were converted to Christianity, but this type was more mixed in with their original beliefs, and so the church of Koumbi Saleh was founded, and a cathedral was constructed the day that the king converted.

Farther north, missionaries were pushing deep into Germanic territories, however, many of them were quite unsuccessful. The places that were most successful were in Britannia, and the inhabitants willingly converted. The Irish, who were mostly converted by now, were sending even their own missionaries in Britannia.

20120507-Marteldood_van_Bonifatius.jpg

Christian missionary being captured by Germanic barbarians

Rise of the Britons and the Creation of the British Republic pt.2

Also known as

Saxons Strike Back
Under newly Senate of Britannia as well be called somewhere down the line, the Sub-Roman People start unite under the banner of this senate

The Saxon saw weakness as to them, they were leaderless and without hope in mind, but they faithful to Rome, even when Rome abandons them and faithful to the gods or god depend who exactly you are talking to at these times.

Now unto Religion, Christian have been quite powerful make 60% of land elite, but there quite strong religious plurality during these times of Britannia but shall remain this way, well we can only read on.

They Two Major Faction that make known today as Frenhinwr Party and Gweriniaethol Party as they known your languages the Monarchist Party and Republican party while this name are ahistorical, they fit their theme what ultimately trying to achieve

They many Minor Faction most deal with Religion or Petty Noble Claims.

__
But Yes, I went off track

The Frenhinwr want to stabilize the realm under strong steward, but Gweriniaethol said otherwise and that realm protection of the nobility and their rights

But went Saxon attack both Party's vote for a leader that competent and but politically apathetic, this man Caerau Cadwalader, who lead against Saxon under he was quite general and poof himself in field combat show skills as commander in chief.

Because of his skills and he willing to comprise, he calls the man who legitimized the republic but he unable push them back.

During the what was called the Era of [*Good name here please*], He would strength the both senate power and well the power of the steward

Last edited: