Why doesn't the Hearts of Iron series cover WWI and most of the early 20. century ?

Since Victoria : An Empire Under the Sun probably ends just before WWI, why do the HoI games pick up only in the mid 1930s ?

And yeah, are there any mods that add the rest of the interwar period and WWI ?

Tellus

Banned
Victoria ends after WW1. I believe there are mods extending it to 1935 - hell, I cant remember, but the expansion might even do it officially? - and there is a tool to convert Victoria savegames to Hearts of Iron, but why anyone would do that is beyond me. Any of these games is long enough to become a dominant power and get bored.

The only conversion I like was CK to EU2. It was kinda nice building a huge empire ruling Christianity in the middle ages and then spending the renaissance playing wack-a-mole with the infidels. But it was of course, insufficiently challenging.

Victoria ends after WW1. I believe there are mods extending it to 1935 - hell, I cant remember, but the expansion might even do it officially? - and there is a tool to convert Victoria savegames to Hearts of Iron, but why anyone would do that is beyond me. Any of these games is long enough to become a dominant power and get bored.

Hehe, thanks for the info. I haven't played Vicky yet. :) I'm trying out the HoI 2 demo right now.

The only conversion I like was CK to EU2. It was kinda nice building a huge empire ruling Christianity in the middle ages and then spending the renaissance playing wack-a-mole with the infidels. But it was of course, insufficiently challenging.

Thanks for the reccomendation. ;) I'm pretty dissapointed that Crusader Kings is far less known than other grand strategies by Paradox. :(

In fact Victoria Revolutions (the last expansion pack) ends in 1936 and includes a Doomsday (HOI2) converter for saved games (a bit buggy).

Yeah, there is a HoI 2 mod for WWI. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it's very good.

As to why HoI 2 doesn't cover the Interwar - it's because it's a war game, not a nation-building game, and the only way the engine could deal with the social, political and economical developments in the Interwar is through loads of events, which is not something most players want out of Paradox games.

There are WW1 mods for HoI1, HoI2 and VickyRev, last I checked. The HoI2 one has seen the most development time, though I disagree with some of the design decisions they've made.

There are WW1 mods for HoI1, HoI2 and VickyRev, last I checked. The HoI2 one has seen the most development time, though I disagree with some of the design decisions they've made.
The Ricky mod have a major advantage in that Vicky already covered the Great War, and had a 1914 scenario, of course, so it is more 'making better what is already there' than 'a brave new world'.

Since Victoria : An Empire Under the Sun probably ends just before WWI, why do the HoI games pick up only in the mid 1930s ?

And yeah, are there any mods that add the rest of the interwar period and WWI ?

1. Victoria with its official expansion Revolutions goes to Jan 1936. Hearts of Iron games start in Jan 1936.

2. Hearts of Iron was designed specifically to model just World War II. Unlike Europa Universalis and Victoria, which were supposed to model all aspects of history in the eras they covered - war, peace, trade, colonialism, commerce, etc. - HOI is supposed to be preparing for and then waging World War II. That's why it starts not long before the outbreak of war, as opposed to far earlier in the decade or century. HOI isn't a 20th century game, it's a Second World War game.

As said HOI is for modelling WW2.
WW1 was a very different war and would need a very different game- Victoria does it badly enough and that is more fitting than HoI.

A WW1 game done right though would be nice but I don't see it working as a pure victoria/hoi/eu type thing. Its just not the way the war worked...
IMO it would have to make the troops and moving them far more abstract to be any fun. And I very much doubt it would amuse traditional RTS fans.