DBWI: WI Walt Disney never made "The Hobbit"

"The Hobbit" is one of great Disney Classics and some say the best Disney-Film of all times. But as we know Tody the author of Book, J.R.R. Tolkien had serious doubts about giving the rights to Disney and was later very unhappy that Disneys version totally overshadowed his work. So what if he hadn´t allowed Disney to make the movie?

Incognito

Banned
Well, for one thing, that annoying spin-off cartoon series which totally walks over Tolken's canon would never have been made. How I wish to live in such a world, where Disney doesn't get a chance to destroy Tolken's works...

Fucking disney. The Hobbit is not, and never will be, a disco musical.

Really? I thought the retro soundtrack was far and away the best part of the movie. Who would have thought Justin Bieber could so convincingly cover the Bee Gees' "Tragedy"?

Really? I thought the retro soundtrack was far and away the best part of the movie. Who would have thought Justin Bieber could so convincingly cover the Bee Gees' "Tragedy"?

I would prefer we don´t mention the direct-to-DVD-sequels and just talk about the classic film of 1939.

It's all Tolkien's own fault. Walt put in every song from the book. Not just "Song of the Lonely Mountain" and "That's what Bilbo Baggins Hates," but also "Come Back to the Valley," "Lazy Lob and Crazy Cob" and even "Cobwebs Crazy."

Maybe if he had never put them in the novel in the first place, that would have been one thing, but he had so his posterity had to deal with the consequences.

The original was F-ing good, it's one of those classics as the OP said...

that said, the 'Lord of the Rings' series that followed sucked!

to be fair, it was an attempt at a darker tone after a lighter hearted adventure, and I doubt that they could have salvaged such a sudden tonal shift even in the best of conditions...

I think Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien's sequel to Hobbit, would have alot more exposure now-a-days...

It's all Tolkien's own fault. Walt put in every song from the book. Not just "Song of the Lonely Mountain" and "That's what Bilbo Baggins Hates," but also "Come Back to the Valley," "Lazy Lob and Crazy Cob" and even "Cobwebs Crazy."

Maybe if he had never put them in the novel in the first place, that would have been one thing, but he had so his posterity had to deal with the consequences.
personally, my favorite song in The Hobbit was the one that wasn't in the book: the villain song, of course! Down Down to Goblin-town! :D

that said, what little basis the direct-to-video sequels and prequels had in Tolkien's work were terrible. i mean, the rapping balrogs that Silmarillion movie from 2002 almost made me want to kill myself

Imagine if somebody had made this as a live-action film. The Internet would trash it because it was too long or something goofy like that.