Diocletian Bureaucratic Reforms During the Principate

• Thread starter Deleted member 67076
  • Start date

Deleted member 67076

The Emperor Diocletian is noted for his massive bureaucratic overhaul, from everything from tax reform to separation of civil and military offices, increasing the number of provinces, standardizing the tax forms and of course, an absolutely massive increase in the number of civil servants (and their pay).

Im wondering, could such a set of reforms happen during the Principate Era, and what effects would they have on Principate Rome's economy, efficiency, military and so forth? Would the average person benefit from this?

Augustus, I think, made enough administrative reforms. After all, the Principate as it was during the first two centuries were the work of Augustus. From the division of Senatorial and Imperial provinces, the permanent posting of legions on the frontiers, the creation of equestrian provinces (like Egypt), the freedmen administrators in the Imperial household, the reemphasis of the Senate from the governing body of Rome to a body of administrators where all higher officials were drawn from, the Imperial Cult, the creation of the position of Princeps...

All of which lasted more or less to the Crisis of the Third Century, or more than 250 years.

The reforms of Diocletion would be impossible without the Augustan reforms. And the reforms of Diocletian were in response to the Crisis of the Third Century. The Augustan reforms were in response to the late Republican Civil wars.

Without the experience of two centuries of rule by the emperors, and 50 years of chaos, I don't think the Roman mindset can conceive the reforms of Diocletian.

Last edited:

GdwnsnHo

Banned
In one case it would depend on how the bureaucracy is organised. If entirely centralised, then a huge amount of wealth will be spent there, but if it is distributed, then highly paid, widespread bureaucrats will improve the local economies - if we assume they increase the total income of the area.

Efficiency - entirely depends on the style of bureaucracy. It would be cool if the system included a Roman "Caravanserai" that was combination resting place, bureaucratic office, and centre of governance, then it could have interesting impacts - especially because messages could move quickly from messenger to messenger.

Seperating Administrative and Military offices could do wonders for reducing the number of Generals who could usurp the throne in the future - as they wouldn't have the money to do so without the Administrators co-operation. If they don't match up perfectly, then even better - harder to gather support that way.

Simplicity in the system would certainly help as well.

Hey Soverihn, I've been enjoying your Renovation Timeline, just finished your latest installment this morning.

I think for an earlier bureaucratic reform you should look to a Flavian, a sane successor to Marcus Aurelius, Severus Alexander, or a Gordian.

Another option would be to have an earlier change in emperors. Say Drusus succeeds Octavius, and uses his loyal brother Tiberius to help administer the republic. Drusus is succeeded by his son Germanicus, who uses his brother Claudius' talents in administration. By the time Germanicus' heir comes into power the administration has been built up over two generations.

Deleted member 67076

Hey Soverihn, I've been enjoying your Renovation Timeline, just finished your latest installment this morning.
Thank you!:)

I think for an earlier bureaucratic reform you should look to a Flavian, a sane successor to Marcus Aurelius, Severus Alexander, or a Gordian.

Another option would be to have an earlier change in emperors. Say Drusus succeeds Octavius, and uses his loyal brother Tiberius to help administer the republic. Drusus is succeeded by his son Germanicus, who uses his brother Claudius' talents in administration. By the time Germanicus' heir comes into power the administration has been built up over two generations.

These are good ideas.