This Is Sparta!!

This Is Sparta!! A Spartan ascendant TL

Prologue

-Sparta, Greece

The Persian ambassador fidgeted nervously as he is about to enter this war-like city of Greece, bearing the message of the God-king Xerxes-an offering of earth and water, for assimilation into the Persian Empire and not getting completely annihilated by hundreds of thousands of Persians. Most of the weaker border states of Greece had accepted this perfectly reasonable offer, but now, Athens, a major city state, had the courage ( or stupidity ) to refuse! Now if Athens will refuse, want will Sparta do? Of they can get Sparta on their side, all will be well.

If not......

King Leonidas of Sparta was watching the Persian ambassador with curiosity and quite an amused face. The messenger was cocky, overconfident, and almost on the verge of insulting someone, somewhere, many times. On the other hand, though he is trying his best nit to show it, he is astoundingly nervous, sometime almost stuttering, and carries just a bit of fear inside him.

Good. Let him be scared.

"An offering of earth, and water", the Persian ambassador began, "is all we ask, and you will be peacefully and rightfully taken by the God-King Xerxes, ruler of the Persian empire."

"There is no need to have blood shed over this, King of Sparta"

Leonidas anger suddenly flared up like a white hot flame-submit to a cowardly enemy without a fight? What madness is this?! Barely controlling his anger, he replied back, " come, let us talk as we walk". The Persian followed.

"Choose wisely, O king, I assure you. you cannot defeat Xerxes' army-so numerous it creates earthquakes wherever it goes, so many, it drinks rivers dry. Are you sure you want to fight against the might of this army?".

"And what if we do?" Leonidas shot back a retort.

"Then when we win, we take what is rightfully ours, and we will not be so lenient then" eyeing Leonidas' wife as he is talking.

No longer able to take this, Leonidas drew his sword in anger, and pointed it towards the Persian. Very, very close to his neck. Coincidentally, their walk had taken them to the city well. Spartan soldiers also disarmed the Persian guards.

"Th..this is madness! None kills a king's messenger, even the barbarian hordes do not do this! It is blasphemy!" The Persian stutters.

"You! You threaten to take our lands! Take our women and children! And take away our freedom! While expecting us to cower in the corner like some rat while we give up without a fight?" Leonidas shouted, spittle flying.

"This is madness, you say?" suddenly calming down. The Persian ambassador looked reliefed.

Leonidas turned around. Behind him were his soldiers, who'd follow him to death. The children, who in the future will become a new generation of Spartans. Families, old ones, all were looking at him as Leonidas made the one biggest disicision in his life, and probably human history as well.

Time seemed to slow down as Leonidas turned back around to face the Persian.

His decision made.

"THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!" Leonidas practically Screamed as he kicked with all his might at the Persian, sending him down the deep, deep, well....

It has begun.

Last edited:
Hi

Hi guys this is going to be my new Spartan timeline, mainly because there seemed to be only 1 half finished Spartan timeline floating around here, and I want to challenge myself as well learn some ancient history! The POD hasn't been revealed yet, just a recap of one of my favorite scene from history.:D

Constructive criticism, words of praise, or any response is wleocmed!!;)

Hi guys this is going to be my new Spartan timeline, mainly because there seemed to be only 1 half finished Spartan timeline floating around here, and I want to challenge myself as well learn some ancient history! The POD hasn't been revealed yet, just a recap of one of my favorite scene from history.:D

"History" being the operative clause here. So long as you don't pay attention to 300 you should be fine.

Tyr Anazasi

Banned
Please remember that Sparta's constitution (more in a sense of unwritten rules than documents, as indeed written laws were forbidden in Sparta) demanded two kings. Both were members of the Gerusia, a group of 28 old men aged 60 or more. The five Ephors were officials, who reduced the power of the kings. The Apella was the popular deliberative assembly and nominally the organ to decide.

Indeed this system of "checks and ballances" was complicated. However, this system managed it to reduce the power of the kings.

In times of Leonidas I., an Agiad, the Eurypontid Leotychidas II. was the other king of Sparta.

Please remember that Sparta's constitution (more in a sense of unwritten rules than documents, as indeed written laws were forbidden in Sparta) demanded two kings. Both were members of the Gerusia, a group of 28 old men aged 60 or more. The five Ephors were officials, who reduced the power of the kings. The Apella was the popular deliberative assembly and nominally the organ to decide.

Indeed this system of "checks and ballances" was complicated. However, this system managed it to reduce the power of the kings.

In times of Leonidas I., an Agiad, the Eurypontid Leotychidas II. was the other king of Sparta.

Leonidas is believed to be about 40 years old though.

This has my attention. Although you should probably avoid using lines from '300', 300 wasn't extact historically accurate and it feels a bit odd to be reading lines from a movie most of us have watched before.

This has my attention. Although you should probably avoid using lines from '300', 300 wasn't extact historically accurate and it feels a bit odd to be reading lines from a movie most of us have watched before.

The actual line is believed to be "Get your water and earth from down there" before they tossed Persian ambassador in the well.

jahenders

Banned
Exactly, assuming the accuracy of anything in "300" is a POD for trouble. That being said, even a lot of the "historical" sources (Heroditus, etc.) from the era are suspect, though much less so.

"History" being the operative clause here. So long as you don't pay attention to 300 you should be fine.

Thanks for the info:).

Ok do you think I should change it then?:eek:

The actual line is believed to be "Get your water and earth from down there" before they tossed Persian ambassador in the well.

Hm thanks I might use this if people are uncomfortable with what I originally did.

Exactly, assuming the accuracy of anything in "300" is a POD for trouble. That being said, even a lot of the "historical" sources (Heroditus, etc.) from the era are suspect, though much less so.

Yeah I won't be using anything movie-related for my POD. And you're right, a lot of the historical "facts" aren't really proven, so that gives me just a bit of leeway for me situations...:D

Thanks for all the comments folks!

Next update should be later today!;)

Actually the state Sparta never called itself Sparta, neither they were called Spartans by others . They considered themselves as Lacedonians and the "country" had been called Lacedonia.

Chapter 1

Off the Greek coast

Xerxes, God-king of the Persian empire watches majestically as his enormous fleet of triremes sail slowly across the sea, demonstrating their great cohesiveness, discipline, and training. Over 700 ships were on the move, sailing back and forth to cow the Greeks, who had dared to resist his God-given right of conquest. He can't imagine the bickering Greeks united any longer after all this stress of their already strained at best relationship. Indeed, all of their civilians had been evacuated and some of the soldiers had even deserted as well.

All the better. Xerxes had taken Athens and burned it to a cinder, taken the countryside, but what remained of the Greeks had fortified themselves on the Isthmus of Corinth, daring him to launch a frontal assault on entrenched hoplites. Xerxes winces as he remembered what had happened last time his troops had tried to take the hoplites head-on......

Thermopylae.

A couple thousand Greeks managed to hold up his entire army for days on end, causing him no end of casualties until one of their own had betrayed them and told him of a secret pass around the infernal Lacedonians-then the battle was won. No. He will not order such a thing to happen again, the individual hoplite is far superior to his own conscripts, and even his elite Immortals were no match for the phalanx formation. To defeat the Greeks, he must outflank them, as had happened at Thermopylae.

With the Greeks fortified at the only crossable land route into their heartland, said outflanking can only be done with his navy, where his superior seamanship and numbers will prevail. Or so he thought. The damned Greeks had refused to give battle, knowing they will lose, and had stayed in the narrow straits, which takes away all of Xerxes' advantages and gives them to the Greeks. Frustration loomed in the god-king's head as furrowed his brows in deep concentration...

Then-

"My lord." A ghostly voice drifted in.

Fast as lightning, Xerxes opened his eyes, and drew his sword, a large shang sound. Who came inside was one of his best admirals of his fleet. A woman, Queen Artemisia of Caria, the Tigress of Artemisium [1], where when his other admirals had cowered, she alone had charged forward and rammed and sunk three triremes in total. After the battle Xerxes himself had remarked that "my men have become woman, and my woman men", in praise of the female admiral.

"What is it, admiral?" Xerxes sighed, as he reclined himself in his cushions.

Queen Artemisia said, "I offer counsel on the Greek problem, my lord", then continued, "If you do not hurry to fight at sea, but keep your ships here and stay near land, or even advance into the Peloponnese, then, my lord, you will easily accomplish what you had in mind on coming here. The Hellenes are not able to hold out against you for a long time, but you will scatter them, and they will each flee to their own cities". [2]

"We have more than enough ships to blockade the Greek fleet and still have enough to land troops to outflank the dogs on land and panic them into splitting their defensive alliance, with this our conquest will be at hand" the Queen proposed.

Most interesting, Xerxes thought as he beckoned to the Tigress, "come, you have made a radical plan, and I wish to discuss it with you". But, even before she did so, Xerxes already knew that the Queens's plan is solid, her skill and competence more than demonstrated in the battle of Artemisium, and after all that battle, if it had gotten worse for his fleet, showed what can happen if he tried to force the Straits.

This is it, he thought, my conquest will soon be complete, and he will do down in history as the greatest conqueror to ever walk the earth.

[1]POD-better performance of the queens earns her respect and a title, as well as more persuasive power.

[2]OTL quote, for all those who are wondering.

So Marathons wipl never be a thing? But how else will health nuts prove their better than me?

Edit: Never mind I got confused with Marathon.

So Marathons wipl never be a thing? But how else will health nuts prove their better than me?

Edit: Never mind I got confused with Marathon.

Pardon ??:confused: I'm sorry don't know what you're talking about-health nuts? Can you please elaborate?

Edit: Oh never mind you're thinking about battle of marathon and that was in the FIRST Persian invasion of Greece.

But thanks for the reply! And what do you think about the update?