The Universal Tank

In an ongoing thread about"British Mobile Forces Better Prepared In 1940?" discussed was the impact of continuing the Experimental Mechanized Force and whatever it evolved into throughout the 30s

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=379048

One of the things I suggested was that such continued development of Combined arms units would very likely have thrown up the need for a universal tank - what we might call today a Main Battle Tank or MBT.

That is not devloping seperate Light, Cruiser and Infantry tanks and instead developing a 'universal tank' design by the late 30s

My suggestion is for the British to be building a 'Universal Tank' based on something like the A10 Cruiser - but with twice the thickness of armour, wider tracks, more powerful engine, 3 man turret arrangement and using a then 'modernised' version of the 20 cwt 3" Anti Aircraft gun using an external cradle as well as identifying the need for larger crew hatches and methods of supporting tanks in the field while on ops.

So with a POD that the evolution of the Experimental Mechanized Force continues as a standard part of the British army from 1930 driving improvements in Combined arms and opportunities for better AFVs, supporting vehicles and their use is it feasable for the British to conclude that a single 'Universal tank' design was the way to go and focus on this rather than the exclectic mix of Light, Medium, Infantry (Heavy - TOG II) and Crusier tanks and actually develop/build such a tank

My suggestion is for the British to be building a 'Universal Tank' based on something like the A10 Cruiser - but with twice the thickness of armour, wider tracks, more powerful engine, 3 man turret arrangement and using a then 'modernised' version of the 20 cwt 3" Anti Aircraft gun using an external cradle as well as identifying the need for larger crew hatches and methods of supporting tanks in the field while on ops.

Due to the utter failure of my experiments in carbomancy (that is divination through the use of coal) I reject this as too perfect. Even using Welsh coal the idea of the British Army allowing its crews decent sized hatches is a bit far fetched, even the ones on the Chieftain are not entirely user friendly.

However I can see a possible way to everything else...following continued albeit low budget efforts by the Experimental Mechanised Force the British Army comes to the conclusion that a common medium for European theatre use by both the Cavalry and the RTC (as was) is cheaper than separate cruiser and infantry tanks.

The Mark III medium is seen as fun but far too expensive so scaled back a bit with some of the weight saved used to scale armour up a bit. You should still expect it to come in two flavours with a main version with some pokey little high velocity gun and a CS version. However manoeuvres reveal that both kinds will run into awkward situation without the other and no set of pairing them up ever seems to work perfectly.

So our pokey gun tank gets a widdle HE shell. Our CS tank gets various efforts at an armour piercing shell for its howitzer none of which work perfectly until some bright spark suggests putting a QF 3" AA gun in the turret with a muzzle break...so after that someone realises anti-armour performance is better than the pokey model but expect the BEF to find itself in France with mostly pokeys plus CS tanks plus some light tank that the Treasury mandated for colonial service because cheaper and maybe a relatively small number of the Universal but with crap hatches because the British are too manly to mess around with that ergonomic rubbish.

Later on things hopefully get a bit better.

Driftless

Donor
Are you leaving the Universal/Bren carrier & the various OTL Armored Cars apart from this consideration?

Artaxerxes

Banned
Due to the utter failure of my experiments in carbomancy (that is divination through the use of coal) I reject this as too perfect. Even using Welsh coal the idea of the British Army allowing its crews decent sized hatches is a bit far fetched, even the ones on the Chieftain are not entirely user friendly.

However I can see a possible way to everything else...following continued albeit low budget efforts by the Experimental Mechanised Force the British Army comes to the conclusion that a common medium for European theatre use by both the Cavalry and the RTC (as was) is cheaper than separate cruiser and infantry tanks.

The Mark III medium is seen as fun but far too expensive so scaled back a bit with some of the weight saved used to scale armour up a bit. You should still expect it to come in two flavours with a main version with some pokey little high velocity gun and a CS version. However manoeuvres reveal that both kinds will run into awkward situation without the other and no set of pairing them up ever seems to work perfectly.

So our pokey gun tank gets a widdle HE shell. Our CS tank gets various efforts at an armour piercing shell for its howitzer none of which work perfectly until some bright spark suggests putting a QF 3" AA gun in the turret with a muzzle break...so after that someone realises anti-armour performance is better than the pokey model but expect the BEF to find itself in France with mostly pokeys plus CS tanks plus some light tank that the Treasury mandated for colonial service because cheaper and maybe a relatively small number of the Universal but with crap hatches because the British are too manly to mess around with that ergonomic rubbish.

Sounds good so far.

In regards to the original post, British tanks had a lot of issues with doctrine as well as the terrible tanks (they were doing so well as well... sigh)

Massive holdover of Cavalry commanders and expecting tanks to operate the same way, no radios, not listening to feedback from the actual crews, etc, etc.

I think it would be easy with just a bit more cash,

The 3" (or even 75mm) is to much personally a 57mm should do fine for 39/40 (maybe make the design so it can be upgraded later)
Maybe use this ?
http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/alt%20WW2%20tank%20gun.htm

Then a engine what about RR Kestral de rated to army petrol should be better than what was used OTL and should be available now the RAF is moving to bigger engines. (say 400hp ?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Kestrel

I would then build a ALT A10 with Matilda I protection 60-10mm say 25t total.

Driftless

Donor
What's the POD for overcoming the British rail transport width limitations, that kept the turret sizes to small for a larger gun?

Or, if that can't be overcome early on, would a British Stug fit the OP's profile?

Well, first you need to get over a number of institutional hang-ups, the first being the Requirement that Tanks had to be Rail-Transportable.

This meant they had a maximium width, and thus a maximum turret-ring diameter. Which meant they couldn't really do 3-Man Turrets.

Additionally, you can't really do Universal/MBTs without all the Tank Development that you got during WWII. I mean, the first Tank that might be reasonably labelled an MBT would be the T-34, and that only got into production 1940, and the Soviet designers had a lot more reasons (Read: Battles/Wars where their tanks sucked a lot.)

The French did use Sloped Armour to an extent (R35/S35,) so more British/French Collaboration could result in British Tanks getting sloped armour, which basically results in more manoeuvrability for the same amount of armour.

Other issues involve the British industrial base, which loved riveting, which is bad for your crews when they pop off and fly around inside the tank.

You might, might get a 'Universal' Tank for the Brits in 1939.. But oh boy will their be sacred cows slaughtered.

I mean, hell, your main PoD may well be a Carrier Crazy Royal Navy (Aircraft Carriers cheaper than Battleships, more demand for aircraft/more non-naval money -> more interest in combined arms -> more tank funding.)

What's the POD for overcoming the British rail transport width limitations, that kept the turret sizes to small for a larger gun?

I would suggest money. The UT* not to confused the UC and most definitely not to be confused with a UTI is sold as cheaper than separate cruiser and infantry tanks. The logistics and transports wallahs raise hell pointing out the problems inherent but are overruled as the the Treasury goes all glinty eyed.

Later of course it turns that the transport experts actually knew what they were talking about so the Army gets tank transporters most probably at far more cost than the money saved (this is yet another rendition of a fairly typical pattern of Treasury efforts to save money on defence, they don't). Handily the tank transporters are also somewhat useful for long range movements when not in contact with the enemy generally and not just in home area unlike train travel so it works like it was a planned wank all along :D

*Universal Tank, for anyone who is still confused

Driftless

Donor
I would suggest money. The UT* not to confused the UC and most definitely not to be confused with a UTI is sold as cheaper than separate cruiser and infantry tanks. The logistics and transports wallahs raise hell pointing out the problems inherent but are overruled as the the Treasury goes all glinty eyed.

Later of course it turns that the transport experts actually knew what they were talking about so the Army gets tank transporters most probably at far more cost than the money saved (this is yet another rendition of a fairly typical pattern of Treasury efforts to save money on defence, they don't). Handily the tank transporters are also somewhat useful for long range movements when not in contact with the enemy generally and not just in home area unlike train travel so it works like it was a planned wank all along :D

They had the Scammel Pioneer (1927 design) in military use from the early 30's as a good solution for the tractor part of the tank transport.

Part of the OP premise should consider the auxiliary pieces needed to make the UT work and the Pioneer fits that bill nicely.

They had the Scammel Pioneer (1927 design) in military use from the early 30's as a good solution for the tractor part of the tank transport.

Part of the OP premise should consider the auxiliary pieces needed to make the UT work and the Pioneer fits that bill nicely.

Ah I thought they did not come along till later, useful to know about that thanks. So correct my misstatement to being the Army gets more tank transporters. The Pioneer is a perfect fit.

hipper

Banned
Well, first you need to get over a number of institutional hang-ups, the first being the Requirement that Tanks had to be Rail-Transportable.

This meant they had a maximium width, and thus a maximum turret-ring diameter. Which meant they couldn't really do 3-Man Turrets

)

The turret ring size was not the problem it was the mounting, British tank guns were designed so that they pivoted at their centre of Gravity. Thus the gunner could adjust his aim while the tank was moving.

it also meant that the gun projected further back into the turret (to keep things balanced) reducing the space available for everything else.

everyone else put a geared elevation into their tanks so they had to stop and fire thus the Gun could pivot further back, giving more space.

then the Sherman came along and had power stabilised main armament allowing in theory at least firing on the move.

cheers Hipper

Then a engine what about Rolls-Royce Kestrel de-rated to army petrol should be better than what was used OTL and should be available now the RAF is moving to bigger engines. Say 400hp?
More than that, Rolls-Royce tried both the Kestrel and the Merlin when looking at converting an aero-engine to become the new tank engine but went with the Merlin as the Kestrel wasn't quite powerful enough to provide the requested brake horsepower per tonne the army wanted. With the earlier and lighter tanks we're talking about here the 475 bhp on pool petrol that the converted Kestrel produced should be more than sufficient. To give a comparison the Matilda II only generated a total of 195 horsepower from its two linked engines, hell the Panzer IV only produced 296 horsepower whilst with the Panzer III it was 265 horsepower. That gives you a range of options to play with, none of which are likely to be good for the panzers.

Having a tak that features sponsons also enables a wider turret ring, hence a bigger gun. Let's recall that Matilda II was tested with 3-men turret with 6pdr, sponsons overhanging the tracks enabled it.

The body overhanging the track isn't a sponson, a sponson is what the British heavy tanks of WW1 had.

The body overhanging the track isn't a sponson, a sponson is what the British heavy tanks of WW1 had.
Depends, I've seen a number of American writings that refer to the parts of a tank above the tracks as 'sponsons'. It could well be another case of two countries divided by a common language.

Ian_W

Banned
Im still confused why the Birch Gun isnt getting a run in all this.

It seems to me that a troop of 75mm guns firing HE solves many of the problems, and you can easily sell them to Cavalry-minded officers as Horse Artillery.

Add Dragoons in Universal Carriers to the good-enough 2- and 6-pounders, and the only problems left are doctrinal.

Perhaps someone knows how many barrels of/for the 18 pdr the UK have had in posession by, say, 1935?

US authors refer the body overhang as 'sponson' when they talk about Sherman, or their pre-war tanks with machine guns.

Im still confused why the Birch Gun isnt getting a run in all this.

It seems to me that a troop of 75mm guns firing HE solves many of the problems, and you can easily sell them to Cavalry-minded officers as Horse Artillery.

Maybe a Wellington Gun mounting a 25 pounder? You really want a proper piece for indirect fire missions and tanks to have their own capacity to handle fortifications up close and possible. I also think you'd see a separate AA piece due to the need for different fire control for anti-aircraft work.

I think Wellington counts because the naming convention started by the Birch was Master Generals of Ordnance.

Ahhh Welsh coal - I wasn't aware that there was nothing it could not do?

Did you try using sea salt with it?

I agree on the hatches - even the Comet had crap hatches - no f*&%ing excuse!!!

And as for the AT and CS tank roles merging into a single gun again I am pinning development of this on 10+ years of continued evolution where the differing trade unions....I mean combat arms of the British army are forced to work together

Are you leaving the Universal/Bren carrier & the various OTL Armored Cars apart from this consideration?

I thought that I might leave those to separate threads but feel free to talk at them - certainly not forgotten

Sounds good so far.

In regards to the original post, British tanks had a lot of issues with doctrine as well as the terrible tanks (they were doing so well as well... sigh)

Massive holdover of Cavalry commanders and expecting tanks to operate the same way, no radios, not listening to feedback from the actual crews, etc, etc.

Yep a lot of that was to do with the various 'Trade Unions' within the greater British army Tribe doing things their own way.

An additional 10 years of working together in the same Brigade and then Division would I hope 'Maggie Thatcher them' into compliance

I think it would be easy with just a bit more cash,

The 3" (or even 75mm) is to much personally a 57mm should do fine for 39/40 (maybe make the design so it can be upgraded later)
Maybe use this ?
http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/alt%20WW2%20tank%20gun.htm

Then a engine what about RR Kestral de rated to army petrol should be better than what was used OTL and should be available now the RAF is moving to bigger engines. (say 400hp ?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Kestrel

I would then build a ALT A10 with Matilda I protection 60-10mm say 25t total.

I am familiar with Tony's work - its that very document that got me thinking along these lines.

The WW1 20 cwt 3" weighs 1000 kgs - I think that a more modern version built in the mid 30s could be a bit lighter say 800 kgs and possibly lighter still if made as a 40 calibre weapon (the original is 45 cals)

My main reason for using this gun is its ability to fire a 3” HE shell as well as still punch holes in other AFVs

The 2 pounder is listed as being 800 odd kgs but that must include the whole mount etc so I am guessing that its a lot less say 300 kgs? Not been able to find anything

Now the reasons that larger guns had difficulty fitting into certain turrets on British tanks is partially due to the turret design not exceeding the turret width (this due to the constraints of limiting the tanks width for rail travel) but also due to the practice of not using an external gun mantle – ie it was an inni not an outi – this due to the method in which the guns elevation was controlled by the gunners shoulders.

Both of these limiting factor could be and eventually were ignored.

As for engines a de-rated RR Kestrel for tank use would serve very well

Or, if that can't be overcome early on, would a British Stug fit the OP's profile?

As discussed above this would need to be overcome – options include tank transporters and simply building bigger turrets ie overhanging the Turret ring.

This meant they had a maximium width, and thus a maximum turret-ring diameter. Which meant they couldn't really do 3-Man Turrets.

Additionally, you can't really do Universal/MBTs without all the Tank Development that you got during WWII. I mean, the first Tank that might be reasonably labelled an MBT would be the T-34, and that only got into production 1940, and the Soviet designers had a lot more reasons (Read: Battles/Wars where their tanks sucked a lot.)

The French did use Sloped Armour to an extent (R35/S35,) so more British/French Collaboration could result in British Tanks getting sloped armour, which basically results in more manoeuvrability for the same amount of armour.

Other issues involve the British industrial base, which loved riveting, which is bad for your crews when they pop off and fly around inside the tank.

You might, might get a 'Universal' Tank for the Brits in 1939.. But oh boy will their be sacred cows slaughtered.

I mean, hell, your main PoD may well be a Carrier Crazy Royal Navy (Aircraft Carriers cheaper than Battleships, more demand for aircraft/more non-naval money -> more interest in combined arms -> more tank funding.)

I'm with you the institutional stuff but I would hope that 10+ years of operational development a lot of the less sensible ideas would have been found out and the better ideas adopted.

Working more with the French or the French taking notice of the continued developments and doing more of the same could result in cross fertilisation of the best practices and ideas.

As for Riveting I know that was true for the Valentine but the Valentine served well and was cheaper and quicker to build than the Matilda II (the whole point of the design) – and because of its simplified design the most part of it could be built in a train or carriage or boiler makers rather than the rarer skills of forging complete pieces and wielding etc

I'm also not convinced that an Aircraft carrier with 40 odd plus aircraft is cheaper than a battleship?

The Navy benefited from more long term budgeting and did not really start to ramp up its expenditure until after Munich.

But as you say the army got bugger all during this time.

Maybe better use of the resources they had – Lets see what Rodent has to say......ah follow the money.....

Yep telling the treasury that 1 Universal tank can do the same job as a Cruiser and an Infantry tank while also doing most of the jobs of a Light tank – means that you might not need so many of them over all and therefore less men as well.

Hopefully by Munich or the equivalent wake up point they would have become wedded to the idea of a universal tank.

Sold! So due to the continued evolution of the Mobile forces – this design gets picked up in 1932-3 and stays.

Ah I thought they did not come along till later, useful to know about that thanks. So correct my misstatement to being the Army gets more tank transporters. The Pioneer is a perfect fit.

Yeah kind of sells itself! I think we are back to the Treasury Wallahs being convinced that by saving wear and tear on the tanks the Tank Transporters actually save money over the long run.

In fact a lot of it comes down to money!

Thanks for the ideas chaps

Another idea I have been reading up on explores the idea of JFC Fuller taking up the original offer of commanding the Experimental Mechanized Force in 1927 and he throws himself into the role

My take on things...

The design for a universal tank if it were to occur in the late 30's would probably be designed instead of the A13/Matilda II. How the Brits come to this decision is beyond me. The gun would have to be something readily available so the gun mention is a possibility. Its probably too large and heavy to be stabalised by the gunner so the fine balance of the weapon is not important any more, this also plays into the hands of a mainly conscript army (whether the need for a conscript army is recognised in 37/38 is not really clear).

So you want a tank that is faster than an infantry tank, has better armour than a cruiser and has a gun that can fire both an effective AP and HE shell. The A13 was designed with Christie type suspension giving a better ride quality at faster speeds... keep that from the A13 design... the Matilda II had the armour you need... the weapon I suggest would need to be able to penetrate the armour of the tank you're producing.

The dimensions are restricted by the requirement to transport the Tank by rail. It may be that people are looking at this in the wrong way. Lets assume the new vehicle is produced in the NE of England by Vickers meaning that the majority of travel would be via the East Coast Mainline which has damn good clearances. Maybe it's more a question of adapting the rail infrastructure where needed to fit the new vehicle or design specific rolling stock to carry it rather than thinking of transport by road.

At one time I worked for the worlds leading experts on railway gauging, for a short while I was gauging engineer for a large stretch of the West Coast Mainline. In its simplest form gauging is easy, gauging for freight traffic is the easiest. In modern times you have a series of freight gauges that define how large your freight wagon can be, whether that is a flatbed wagon plus load or specific wagon type. The W6a gauge is the "go anywhere" gauge, the next is the W7, then W8 etc. As long as the dimensions of your load sit within the designated gauge for the route all is good. Strangely enough even up until 2009 (when I left the industry) Network Rail was still using a paper based system to clear freight traffic along its routes, and even this was only on a regional basis. So, someone comes along and says I want to move this load from A to B, the regional freight managers look at historic movements and say whether or not something as large as the load has passed through before and if so give the green light. If the load does not fit then occasionally a special study will be done... in one instance we had to clear a train load of Warriors for a particular route because it was slightly outside the normal traffic envelope.

So what I'm trying to say is what ever wagon/load combination you produce needs to fit within the W6a theoretically although I know from experience that the East Coast Mainline is clear for at least the W9 gauge. As long as you keep the width and height of the tank to approximately 2.7m wide and tall you shouldn't have any problems, anything bigger and you need to look at targeted rail routes or alterations to the infrastructure.

Vehicle dimension therefore need to be 6.5m in length, 2.7m wide and 2.7m tall at a maximum.