Why Wasn't Malta the First Priority for Mussolini?

Drakker

Banned
I just don't get why he didn't try to take the island as soon as he entered the war. From what I've heard it wasn't that heavily fortified at the time---and if he'd launched a amphibious assault it probably would have fallen. Even if he didn't have the capability the Germans did---I would think in the grand scheme of things Malta should have been slightly more important to take than Crete, especially since it's a key British base easily within range of Sicily.

Part of the answer it was not apparent the island would be important. Easily bombed, far from British bases it did not look like anything of strategic or major operational importance. Another part is it was expected the war would soon end & the place become irrelevant.

So, there were no practical plans for capturing it, and of course no preparations. When planning did start it was realized this was not a matter of a few hundred marines landing in whaleboats.

.... Even if he didn't have the capability the Germans did...

Other than gross airborne lift the Italians were more capable than the Germans in amphib ops. They certainly were not at the level of the Japanese, or the US of 1940, but could organize a few battalions for a beach landing with some credibility. Tho not on the spur of the moment that Mussolinis capricious decisions required.

Deleted member 1487

Part of the problem was faulty intelligence that the island was better defended than it was and Mussolini's risk aversion at that point in the war. Later when he as invading everything he did it from the POV that having troops on enemy turf in the sooner to be negotiate peace would guarantee him some sort of compensation; alas there was no peace deal in 1940-41.
Also in terms of Malta as Carl said there was also the feeling the island could be easily blockaded as it was in his backyard and it would fall on the cheap if he waited and the aforementioned peace deal would yield him the island without a shot.

Drakker

Banned
Part of the answer it was not apparent the island would be important. Easily bombed, far from British bases it did not look like anything of strategic or major operational importance. Another part is it was expected the war would soon end & the place become irrelevant.

So, there were no practical plans for capturing it, and of course no preparations. When planning did start it was realized this was not a matter of a few hundred marines landing in whaleboats.

Other than gross airborne lift the Italians were more capable than the Germans in amphib ops. They certainly were not at the level of the Japanese, or the US of 1940, but could organize a few battalions for a beach landing with some credibility. Tho not on the spur of the moment that Mussolinis capricious decisions required.

Isn't Malta basically perfectly positioned to attack the supply lines between Sicily and Libya though? I would have thought just based on geography the island would have been a priority. As for Italian amphibious operations, I know of the San Marco Division, but did they actually conduct any landings? Also, what made Hitler decide to use his paratroopers to attack Crete instead of Malta?

Deleted member 1487

Isn't Malta basically perfectly positioned to attack the supply lines between Sicily and Libya though? I would have thought just based on geography the island would have been a priority. As for Italian amphibious operations, I know of the San Marco Division, but did they actually conduct any landings? Also, what made Hitler decide to use his paratroopers to attack Crete instead of Malta?
It was only a battalion in 1940. They had no paras or specialized landing craft AFAIK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marco_Regiment#History
Apparently they had a special unit in China until 1943 that was interned by the Japanese too. Weird.

Drakker

Banned
It was only a battalion in 1940. They had no paras or specialized landing craft AFAIK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marco_Regiment#History
Apparently they had a special unit in China until 1943 that was interned by the Japanese too. Weird.

Would specialized landing craft have made a big difference? As far as I know the seas around Malta aren't especially difficult, so would it have been possible for them to just use regular landing craft?(if there were any?)

Also, how many men were in a WW2 Italian battalion? If the attack had been coordinated with other Italian operations would it have been possible for them to overwhelm the island?

thaddeus

Donor

the Med was the Italian sphere so taking Malta in 1940(?) when it was considered vulnerable would be an intrusion by Germany. they were however planning for an entry into Axis by Spain, which would have resulted in Gibraltar falling and (my understanding) probable evacuation of Malta (if not surrender.)

Crete was more or equally important than Malta, IMO even with hindsight better to control Crete than Malta if choosing.

Operation Herkules was the Italian- German plan to invade Malta To attack Malta required German support Crete and Herkules weren't contemperanious, so it wasn't either or.
Herkukes was abandoned after air and ground support was drawn off for the attack on Egypt. Besides which, Hitler disliked using paratroops after the invasion of Crete which had a high casualty rate.

hipper

Banned
Part of the problem was faulty intelligence that the island was better defended than it was and Mussolini's risk aversion at that point in the war. Later when he as invading everything he did it from the POV that having troops on enemy turf in the sooner to be negotiate peace would guarantee him some sort of compensation; alas there was no peace deal in 1940-41.
Also in terms of Malta as Carl said there was also the feeling the island could be easily blockaded as it was in his backyard and it would fall on the cheap if he waited and the aforementioned peace deal would yield him the island without a shot.

The Intelegence was not Faulty Malta on the Italian declaration of warhad a brigade of troops with extensive Costal artillery covering the restricted number of possible invasion beaches. The costal artillery included a 15" monitor parked in Valetta harbour.

the Italian navy on the declaration of war had only two rebuilt battleships in service and was heavily outnumbered by the British and French fleets present in the Mediterranean.

Thus any invasion had to be be successful in 24-36 hours. Which was not deemed to be possible.

Thus better to wait for the peace conference and bargain for Malta.

Regards
Hipper

Last edited:
Isn't Malta basically perfectly positioned to attack the supply lines between Sicily and Libya though? I would have thought just based on geography the island would have been a priority….

It was thought it would be swiftly neutralized through air attack, and blockaded. Strictly speaking that thinking was correct, however the Italians found it more difficult in reality than in theory. Even with German assistance it proved difficult.