Sega makes Sonic female in 1991

It would be extremely dangerous to type 'Mario and Sonic' into Google Images (and if my POV was still in effect, then 'Maria and Sonic' would be even worse).

In all seriousness, I don't see Sega trying it if Nintendo didn't. Sega was always the more masculine 'cool-kid' choice, with Nintendo being the 'kiddies' console with wider appeal. The mascot being a girl might put off some of the existing market.

But, if they pulled it off, and Sonic lifts off the ground, then it may very well be Sega getting more widespread popularity. It probably wouldn't lead to Sega surviving and Nintendo falling off the world (thank the lord), but a larger, more diverse corps of games designers being raised on what I would admit to be a fine series couldn't be a bad thing.

It would be extremely dangerous to type 'Mario and Sonic' into Google Images (and if my POV was still in effect, then 'Maria and Sonic' would be even worse).

In all seriousness, I don't see Sega trying it if Nintendo didn't. Sega was always the more masculine 'cool-kid' choice, with Nintendo being the 'kiddies' console with wider appeal. The mascot being a girl might put off some of the existing market.

But, if they pulled it off, and Sonic lifts off the ground, then it may very well be Sega getting more widespread popularity. It probably wouldn't lead to Sega surviving and Nintendo falling off the world (thank the lord), but a larger, more diverse corps of games designers being raised on what I would admit to be a fine series couldn't be a bad thing.

Are you talking about Rule 34 in your first part, there? :eek:

Also, I agree that a successful female character would encourage more women and minorities (maybe not minorities so much) to join the game industry, which would definitely be a good thing- less sexism, female characters being undressed, etc. for no good plot-related reason, stereotypes, etc.! Also, more women and minorities in the game industry means that some of them would migrate over to Silicon Valley, thus making it more diverse, too!

The target audience of games back then was young boys. Even more so than today. I wouldn't see a girl having the same appeal as a cool dude to your average 7 year old kid.