The Life of *Adolf Hitler

The Life of *Adolf Hitler

Forward

*Adolf Hitler is remembered to history as most likely the most evil man on earth and responsible for the creation of a state more totalitarian than predicted in Orwell’s greatest work. A man who rose from nothing to nightmare he is a true enigma on the world stage. Born in humble beginnings he rose from a lowly soldier to the dictator of one of the most powerful nations on earth. Cunning, sophisticated, charming and witty he is a man who has earned his title as ‘the Devil’s tongue’.

Despite his vast and immeasurable impact on the 20th century relatively little is known about this morbidly fascinating figure’s early life. While many biographies have emerged from the German Reich about their great leader and he himself wrote many articles after the war he never dictated his life to anyone and in his final years was a withdrawn figure who only appeared in public on a few occasions. Though there has been an almost complete communications blackout on any sort of unbiased knowledge to come from Europe in the last forty years this author his co-conspirators have been able to delve into the recent surge of information from Fascist Europe in considerable detail.

It is fascinating to read the many details of the life and memoirs of the most notorious mass murderer of all time. Contrary to what many would like to believe, *Hitler was no demon, monster, or some kind of ‘mad scientist’ from another dimension. All too sadly he was a man who was like any other. It may speak volumes for the despicable actions that the human race is capable of, but hopefully lessons can be learned from the horrors of Poland or the Ukraine.
The author must be quick to stress that neither he nor his co-conspirators in this project can one hundred percent guarantee the accuracy of many documents and memoirs presented in this auto-biography for obvious reasons. Nazi propaganda and even *Hitler’s own personal statements cannot be verified certainly and indeed any witnesses who can state the truth of the matter are either dead or inaccessible behind the Atlantic Wall.

So on this note the author must soldier on and with years of painstaking research and the help of a team of others the real story of *Adolf Hitler must be put to pen and paper and displayed for all the public to see.
---

Alright this is a little ditty I have been working on and I'm just going to post the thread and forward for now in order to get a feel for people's reactions. This is an audacious timeline and one that has a very touchy subject so I'm hoping I can gauge people's reactions.

The basic premise is changing who *Adolf Hitler is as a person and making him slightly less insane and a tad more cunning and less genocidal. As an author's disclaimer I hate Nazi's with a passion and had family gassed in the death camps. I'm simply exploring an extremely dark alternate history scenario.

So I look for signs wheather anyone would find this interesting or people think it is too extreme to be continued

This satisfies my morbid kind of curiosity.

Go forth, and horrify. I wait with bated breath to see what charnel house has been made of Germany.

Shoudn't this be in the After 1900 Forum?

The PoD is probably before 1900, as that was when Hitler was a child.

I quite like this idea, in a very morbid way. I actually want to know what kind of state Orwell would create in TTL's 1984; maybe some sort of Wild West gangster state crossed with Oceania of OTL? :confused:

Please continue, just don't let it go the way of Adler or cumbria (shudders)

Well I'm glad to see no one has any qualms about this.

And regarding Orwell's 1984, well I was doing some thinking about that and I think it will be much darker than the one he wrote in OTL for very obvious reasons. I've got the drafts for the first two chapters finished so you can expect a post sometime today.

Adler is referring to the ridiculous tl about Valkyrie succeeding and Germany basically winning the war. As to Cumbria, I believe it refers to Hitlers Republic, which was.....well not great.

Well the main purpose here is to examine what a more sane Hitler would be like. IMO he would be far more dangerous than the Hitler of OTL as he isn't so set on genocide (although he still becomes a mass murderer).

Well the main purpose here is to examine what a more sane Hitler would be like. IMO he would be far more dangerous than the Hitler of OTL as he isn't so set on genocide (although he still becomes a mass murderer).
I got that, I was answering someones question. I still think the most dangerous world is the world without Hitler. A world that never learned to despise and hate Fascism in all its forms.

Chapter One:

Without a doubt history has been able to prove the most basic facts of *Hitler’s early life and where he was born. Thanks to documents from the former Austro-Hungarian Empire which have survived any visitor interested in taking the time to search the paper work will quickly be able to delve into the deluge of archives in the Reich can gain some information about his early life.

*Hitler was born in Ranshofen, Austria to Alois Hitler and Maria Hitler (originally Maria Brauer). He was the fifth of six children in his family. He would be born with his mother’s blonde hair and blue eyes (from the records apparently the only child in the family to take his mother’s hair color) but would inherit his height from his grandfather, as he would claim in later years. He would be only one of two children to survive past infancy along with his younger sister after diphtheria struck the household and killed the eldest children. Hitler was apparently quite fond of his mother, who dotted over him because he was the only blonde boy in the family giving him a sense of pride.

The relationship with his father was stormy at best and confrontational at worst. To quote the man himself from Mien Kampf “My father was a man limited in his ambitious and pompous in his nature. He enjoyed his mere civil service uniform while cowering behind a desk every day and thought being a slave to the monarch of the pathetic empire was what made him special. To him the uniform was a mark of manly stature and authority. It is not the uniform however, but the man who makes it. Though he would beat me sorely when I snubbed his pathetic nature I was determined to prove him wrong. Destiny would give me that chance”. It has been recorded that Alois was a rough man with his children. The author was fortunate enough to track down *Hitler’s sister’s son for comment on his grandfather. The son (whom has asked to remain anonymous) related that from his mother’s words his grandfather was a harsh man and would sometimes strike his children when angry or demanding of respect. Indeed *Hitler would make three such scathing passages about his father in his work but did not mention any of his other family, save for his mother, by name.

Hitler’s relationship with his mother is the only one which in his memoirs of Mein Kampf he remembers fondly. As previously noted Hitler was the only member of the family to inherit his mother’s blonde hair which made him something of her favorite according to Hitler at least. He often writes about her in a fond manner and says that she was the greatest influence on his life. His flowery praise written for her can be seen in Mein Kampf and his only other written memoir Auf Ehre. “She was the song of my life in all ways and I could see that she loved me more than the other children. I was told I was special, unique, and destined for some greater purpose. And so would time prove her right and show that my determination and defiance of the will of others would eventually propel me to glory!” (an author’s note Hitler uses the phrase glory no less than five hundred and seventy four times in Auf Ehere which he must ask readers unfamiliar with the work to be patient as the majority of passages quoted from there will be in relation to *Hitler’s strange view on the subject). His praise towards his mother and what seems like her obvious favoritism towards the child seems to have been a driving factor towards his sense of destiny.

*Hitler began schooling in Fishlhalm once his father moved to Leonding where his father took up beekeeping and hobby farming. It was here that he began to be schooled in a formal education and his father began to cast a greater influence over his life as he aged. Records indicate that *Hitler was an above average student who excelled in creative thinking and sports. He did poorly in the arts and sciences but excellent in writing and history. His teachers marked him as a boy with natural talent and one who could potentially go far in an administrative position. This news pleased his father who sought to put his son into his own career and have him follow in the family business. This of course was not *Hitler’s intention.

He became enamoured with the military after he discovered a picture book relating to the Franco-Prussian war in his father’s attic. He says that in seeing the pictures of professional and victorious German soldiers crushing the French at Sedan he began to have even more disdain for his father. His father indeed insisted on wearing his public service uniform and having himself called Herr Hitler. Apparently the young *Adolf saw this as a slight on military tradition and a grim parody of what a real man was supposed to be like.

When *Hitler was eight his father brought him to a customs office to show him the place where he envisioned his son to be working in the future as a ‘proper man’ and a good Austrian, his son however, did not like the idea. It was after this visit when *Hitler became more belligerent and argumentative with his father. He once burned his father’s bee hives sending Aloise into an enraged fit where he beat Hitler quite badly. It was only after he drank himself into a stupor that his mother was able to fetch a doctor for her son.

After this event *Hitler’s marks in school began to suffer and his teachers commented he was sullen, withdrawn, and seldom spoke to others. This gradual decline in Hitler’s schooling would further irritate his father who soon began treating his son as someone not worth caring for. *Hitler has never written about this time in his life so what he may have been thinking is a mystery to all. He only makes what may be a brief mention to this period in Mein Kampf saying “The time before my father’s death was the darkest a man could endure…” this cryptic statement may indicate a ‘start of darkness’ as it were where the young Hitler’s mind was warped into a cynical and hateful force. Though that may be reading too much into the passage this author believes that with the abusive attitude of his father *Hitler became someone who would fit perfectly into the mould of a man bent on world domination.

As a way of rebelling against his father’s desires *Adolf began to indulge in German nationalism. He and his friends would greet each other with the German ‘Heil’ and he would insist on singing the German anthem over the Austrian anthem at school leading to some minor disciplinary issues. Though this was not uncommon in many Austrian German youth Hitler seems to have taken it to a new level. This authors anonymous source maintains that his mother told him a story where Hitler confided in his sister that he wished to run away and live in Germany. He told her to promise not to tell Aloise as he feared his father would kill him for such a statement.

What his father thought of his young sons fascination with German nationalism is unknown, but by all accounts it is doubtful he would have been pleased. Regardless Aloise died on January 3rd 1903 of unknown causes, collapsing in an inn. There remain rumours that *Hitler poisoned his father to this day but the author is skeptical of such claims as Hitler was barely thirteen at the time. Indeed Hitler mentions in Mein Kampf that his father died of a stroke of apoplexy. Whatever the cause this seems to have somewhat lifted the shadow that hung over Hitler as his grades improved and he became an outgoing child once again.

*Hitler continued his schooling until 1905 when he graduated and financial woes began to beset his family. For reasons known only to him, he quit his school work and spent a year working as a laborer around the town of his birth. When he found no more work to be forthcoming he left and set his sights on hopefully finding employment in Vienna.

Last edited:
So Hitler inherits his mum's blonde hair. Very nice. Among the other stuff.

Is that the PoD? Or is it just indicative of the changes that have occurred to Hitler. I also note that H is actually doing well at school now. That can't end well.

Is that the PoD? Or is it just indicative of the changes that have occurred to Hitler. I also note that H is actually doing well at school now. That can't end well.

I don't know. He sure didn't have blond hair in OTL. I suppose it's multiple PODs working together in a chain.