The Cuban Crisis: Nuclear Bungaloo

So, as you can read here I have decided to restart my WWIII TL for a few reasons. Well here it is just, rebranded.

The Cuban Crisis: Nuclear Bungaloo

asw7.jpg

The Soviet Foxtrot Class B-59 Submarine​

From The Plight of B-59 by Fred G Howetson

Offshore Cuba
October 27
3:45 PM

Second in Command Vasili Alexandrovich Arkhipov almost fell off his chair as the depthcharge exploded near the sub. The Cuban Missile Crisis, where the US tried to convince the USSR to pull nukes out of Cuba, had been going on for all of 13 days. Vasili and his Captain Savitsky had been in the area for almost 2 days or so and already the Americans were attacking. An aircraft carrier (now known to be the USS Randolph) was leading a squadron of what seemed to be 10 or so battleships against his sub (actually 4 destroyers). Another depthcharge rocked the sub and he heard the Captain speak up "Dive deeper, to 971 ft." he yelled. One of the operators looked worried, that was the deepest the Foxtrot could go. If they overdove by even a foot it could have grave consequences. The sub began to lean forward as they filled the ballast and dive deeper into the water.

"Sir, please, we are already too deep, if we go any lower we would be in danger of crushing ourselves." Vasili urged.

Capt. Savitsky gave him a stern look "We cannot let those dirty Americans capture another sub! They already took two!" he said. Suddenly the Political Officer Ivan Maslennikov appeared next to him. He had a stern look on his face which was never good.

"Captain Savitsky, I urge you to retaliate against the bourgeois!" he said.

There was a thud, more distant though as if it was above. The Captain's face grew worried "Comrade Ivan, I cannot do that unfortunately. If I do then I might just end the world as the Americans would surely retaliate. That is not a reputation I want to hold." Savitsky responded. He was thinking forward and that reassured Vasili

Ivan's face hardened "They fired first comrade. If it does end us all, it is not your fault." he said. He had a certain tone in his voice that said "Do it or die." or at least to Arkhipov it did.

One of the operators spoke up "Captain we are at 971 ft! Leveling out now". The sub then began to level itself as the ballast emptied.

The Captain gulped as another dull thud could be heard from above them. Vasili could tell there was battle inside the man between the loyalist side and the reasonable side. Vasili knew the consequences if the reasonable side won out, disloyalty could possibly be deadly. That is why he wasn't surprised when the Captain gave his order "I give my approval to retaliate. Vasili, do you join us?"

Vasili thought to himself for a bit before responding, the fate of the world might just lay in his hand. The answer was not as hard a decision as Vasili wanted it to be though "Launch the torpedo." he said in a firm tone. He regretted that decision as the sub began to rise to the surface. As they broke the surface of the water the sub aimed and fired toward the aircraft carrier, watching its wake slowly approach the behemoth of modern naval engineering. "May god have mercy on my soul." Ivan said moments before it hit. When it did nobody on the sub or the Randolph lived to see the explosion that incinerated both ships. The radiation was carried northeast and dissipated over the open ocean, irradiating nothing more than a few fish. Within hours both leaders would be notified and the Cuban Crisis would suddenly heat up.

Last edited:
Looking great so far!

One minor nitpick: USS Randolph is technically the spelling. Apologies for being anal about that but hey, making a good thing better is never bad!

If you want major nuclear disaster in Cuba let them get the four Chernobylesque reactors intended for their nuclear power facility at Cienfuegos that Reagan had shut down when the first one was 80% complete. For extra S&G have them replaced by the same ones later used at Fukushima.

First update is out! Now with more communication! :D

The Bungaloo Begins

kennedy-phone-oval-office-vocoder_large.jpg

Kennedy speaks with LeMay​

Washington DC
United States of America
Later that Day...​

President John Fitzgerald Kennedy began to doze after almost a week or two of irregular hours. Ever since those Soviet missiles showed up in Cuba it had been almost non-stop meetings and negotiations. Especially since Major Anderson got killed over Cuba. He had been bugged by both General LeMay and General Taylor to attack Cuba within 36 hours. He wasn't going to do that obviously but it still took a toll on Kennedy. He snapped to attention when the phone rang, and Kennedy reluctantly answered it. "Hello General." he said. It didn't matter which one, it was LeMay or Taylor again asking to bomb Cuba.

"Hello Mr President. It's LeMay and I have a very shocking report here for you. It says that today, just hours after Major Anderson's death, a Soviet sub sunk the USS Randolph with a nuclear torpedo. All hands went with both vessels and the radiation petered out over the ocean." LeMay said.

"You're bluffing." Kennedy said in disbelief. There was no way in hell Khrushchev allowed for a Soviet sub to sink an American boat, an aircraft carrier none-the-less. With a nuclear weapon? It just didn't make sense.

"No I'm not Mr. President. I have the documents from the Department of the Navy in front of me. I can have them over to you within the hour." LeMay said. Kennedy could practically hear how smug he was over the phone. Kennedy relented his suspicion though and decided to side with the General on this one.

"So let me guess, you want me to nuke the USSR?" Kennedy joked.

"Not Russia Mr. President. Cuba. I still have that target list from our meeting about Mr Anderson." the General said.

Kennedy sighed as he shook the remaining tenants of sleep from his eyes "Ok fine, let me speak to Khrushchev first, then I will talk about World War Three." Kennedy said again before hanging up. He then immediately picked up the phone and called Dean Rusk, his Secretary of State. After the phone rang a few times Rusk picked it up "Hello, this is Dean Rusk." he said.

"Hey Dean, it's me, Kennedy. I have a message for the Soviets I want delivered ASAP." Kennedy said.

Dean paused for a moment as he grabbed piece of paper and a pencil and prepared to write it down. "What is is Mr President?" he finally asked.

"Mr. Primer. I have just received word that one of your subs have destroyed the USS Randolph with a nuclear torpedo. All hands on both the Randolph and the sub were lost. I would like this not to escalate any further than now and have come with a solution. I would like authorization to destroy one of your ships like you destroyed ours. You get that?" Kennedy asked.

"like...you...destroyed...ours. Yep, I will get it to Kohler within the hour." Dean said.

"Alright. Thanks." Kennedy said before hanging up.

Last edited:

abc123

Banned
IIRC, the Hot Red Line between White House and Kremlin didn't exist before Cuban Missile Crisis...
They had to use normal diplomatic channels to communicate with Soviets/Americans. And THAT could last for up to 24 hours to deliver message on other side and get a reply. ;-)

Also, I don't think that Kennedy ( Ich bin ein Berliner-man, man who became president by promising that he will be tough against Soviets, rectify missile-gap etc. ) would be so familiar with Khruschev to call him just "Nikita"... Mr. Premier or Mr. Khruschev seems more likely to me...

Last edited:
They had to use normal diplomatic channels to communicate with Soviets/Americans. And THAT could last for up to 24 hours to deliver message on other side and get a reply. ;-)

I thought they both had phones in their offices? I knew the Hot Red Line was not there yet, so Kennedy still had to call the Kremlin then get redirected...which could have taken a minute or two. I will change the time stamp thing.

abc123

Banned
I thought they both had phones in their offices? I knew the Hot Red Line was not there yet, so Kennedy still had to call the Kremlin then get redirected...which could have taken a minute or two. I will change the time stamp thing.

I think that things didn't work so easily at the time. International calls ( especially transcontinental ones ) took a lot of time to connect, I would say that at least 30 minutes is necesarry to get a connection. Also, people who work in Kremlin telephone exchange will find it little hard to believe that it's Kennedy calling... Also, would you talk about potential WW3 over a unsecured ( not cryptologically protected ) line? Nope, regular diplomatic channels were the way of doing things at the time.

Last edited:

sorry not telephone line either
the early Red line was Telex not phone they were installed later i think during nixon

during Cuba crisis
communication between USA and USSR went over diplomatic cannel
means the President contacted the US ambassador in Moscow by Telex or wireless
then the US ambassador ask for appointment in Kremlin

during Hot phase the Soviet use TASS radio station to confirm that Khrushchev accept Kennedy demands to end the crisis.
and that went almost wrong, as the guy bring the message, got stuck in broken elevator in TASS building...

A quibble, ThatOneGuy:
I notice you have a tendency to type "to" when you mean "too" (this from a netizen with pathetic typing skills :) ).

abc123

Banned
So, Kennedy wouldn't actually contact Khrushchev but instead use his ambassador?

Yep. State Department would send coded message to US Ambassador in Moscow ( by radio or teleprinter connection ). There, they will translate the note to Russian. Then the Ambassador would ask for urgent appointment with Khruschev at Soviet Ministry of Foreign Affairs, they will ask Khruschev, Khruschev will allow it and only then he will give a note to Khruschev.

Then the Soviets will repeat this to reply. With a Politbureau meeting in between to determin what their reply will be.

Last edited:
Yep. State Department would send coded message to US Ambassador in Moscow ( by radio or teleprinter connection ). There, they will translate the note to Russian. Then the Ambassador would ask for urgent appointment with Khruschev at Soviet Ministry of Foreign Affairs, they will ask Khruschev, Khruschev will allow it and only then he will give a note to Khruschev.

Then the Soviets will repeat this to reply. With a Politbureau meeting in between to determin what their reply will be.
Ok, thank you. I just wanted to be sure.