Dark Pop Culture Timelines

I have noticed that with pop culture timelines- there is a trend towards the positive. And this is understandable, t is more fun to speculate on a longer running Star trek or on Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon. However, what are the possibilities for a negative Alternative history Pop culture timeline, approaching the level of bleakness seen in Rumsfeldia or Icarus Falls?

Here are my initial suggestions
- Star Wars fails at the Box office in 1977, sinking 20th Century Fox

- Star Trek Is never picked up

- The New Hollywood era ends earlier or s butterflied away?

Any thoughts?

Woodstock never happens.

The owner of original proposed site in Woodstock, New York, backed out on the festival. The organizers then found an alternate site in Walkill. However, just four weeks before the scheduled opening, local residents persuaded Walkill's government to prohibit the festival. Had the promoters given up at that point, or if they hadn't bumped into Max Yasgur while they were in White Lake looking at a different site, Woodstock would have been known only to bankruptcy lawyers.

Saturday Night Fever

Saturday Night Fever never gets made, or bombs (that would be good or bad depending on your viewpoint).

Both Friends and Seinfeld never get picked or get canned.

Heil, Honey I'm Home lasts for 10 years and is one of the UK's main cultural exports.

I have noticed that with pop culture timelines- there is a trend towards the positive. And this is understandable, t is more fun to speculate on a longer running Star trek or on Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon. However, what are the possibilities for a negative Alternative history Pop culture timeline, approaching the level of bleakness seen in Rumsfeldia or Icarus Falls?

Any thoughts?

How about Heaven's Gate is a success and the New Hollywood era doesn't end in 1980?

Musical:

Green Day's original gig becomes their only outing.

Britpop, rather than the Second Wave of Blue-Eyed Soul (Adelle et al), becomes the Third British Invasion.

Instrumentless Boy Bands (Like New Kids on the Block and Boys 2 Men) rather than Grunge, replace Hair Metal.

90s Style Young Country had broken out ten years earlier, and had been the country music sound to eclipse Outlaw Country rather than Neo-Countrypolitan. Garth Brooks was okay, but he spawned a bunch of terrible imitators.

The Who concert crush in Cincinnati destroys their career.

The Who breaks up after the explosion on The Ed Sullivan Show causes one or more major casualties among the band.

Michael Jackson's hair accident kills him.

Computer and Video-Game:

Hewlett-Packard buys what would one day be the Apple I from Steve Wozniak, then sits on it.

IBM forcibly buys out Microsoft, then goes on a production ramp-up, while the Reagan Administration fires all the Anti-Trust prosecutors and drops all charges.

Apple goes for Project Star Trek- in 1987.

The Stanford, Berkley, IBM, and/or ARM RISC projects never happen.

No one bails out Hi-Toro Labs.

Atari takes the Nintendo deal, then sits on it, in a way enforceable by any court outside of Japan.

NEC never buys the design of the PC Engine off of Hudson, and Hudson goes bankrupt from Nintendo reneging on the original deal.

Coleco doesn't have Cabbage Patch Kids to bail them out.

Microsoft files a lawsuit against Fujitsu over the F.M. Towns, and wins, alienating game publishers, but without a viable alternative because Apple is overpriced and all business (Except for Bungie), the Amiga and Atari still go down the tubes, and Acorn still never gets its $#!+ together with the Archimedes/RISC PC.

The Simpson's Christmas Special comes back as poorly animated as the initial version of Some Enchanted Evening, and the show is killed in its cradle.

Britpop, rather than the Second Wave of Blue-Eyed Soul (Adelle et al), becomes the Third British Invasion.

And that would be a bad thing... why exactly?

A few possibilities...

- Nintendo doesn't get into Arcade, and later Console, Gaming in the mid-70s, instead sticking to toys, playing cards or one of their many 60s ventures (Food, Taxis, etc)
- The Nintendo Famicom's initial hardware faults poison the product's reputation in Japan, even after the recall and tech modifications.
- Sega decides not to remain in the Console market after the SG-1000's lack of success.
- The original 'Superman' film is not directed by Richard Donner and uses the original, more campy, script.
- The planned sequel to ET ('Nocturnal Fears') is made (as shown in AndrewT's 'Dirty Laundry' timeline, I believe).
- The planned 1996 Americanised Doctor Who semi-reboot series is made.

And that would be a bad thing... why exactly?

Because the Loudness Wars would be that much worse for starters. What's the Story (Morning Glory) was an even bigger reason for the destruction of Music Radio in the U.S. than Clear Channel.

The planned 1996 Americanised Doctor Who semi-reboot series is made.
I saw the pilot for it. It got all the continuity right as far as I could tell, the precedent of an American Companion had already happened with the Seventh Doctor, and Fox's contract with the BBC demanded that at least ten episodes per year (they wouldn't have dared interpret the word "series" to mean the entire run of the show when too much of the market involves the British Commonwealth and Rupert Murdoch was starting to come under scrutiny by Parliament) set in, or at least shot in the UK. It would be like me grousing over the fact that the Stargate television series were all shot in Canada, or Game of Thrones being shot in Ulster.

Frankly, a worse fate would have been that timeline with John Denver as the Fifth Doctor. If they absolutely had to have an American Doctor, maybe use Bob Denver, but John Denver isn't even a real actor!

Because the Loudness Wars would be that much worse for starters. What's the Story (Morning Glory) was an even bigger reason for the destruction of Music Radio in the U.S. than Clear Channel.

While all that may be true, I'm not sure what these 'Loudness Wars' have to do with Britpop as a whole - Oasis, sure, but the likes of Suede, The Bluetones, Ocean Colour Scene, The Verve, etc? Even bands like Cast or Shed Seven weren't that loud.

As for Doctor Who, I was thinking more about the proposed series rather than the one-off TV Film we ended up with (which I agree, isn't really THAT bad).

I realize I'm necromancing here, but I couldn't help but offer thoughts:

One of my TL ideas, where Hinckley kills Reagan, has taken on a few dystopian pop culture elements -- the Religious Right freaks out on Hollywood, the backlash against "black" music lasts longer, Disney gets screwed hard with the Steinberg acquisition, and even things that seem like improvements (John Belushi surviving, a less destructive Lucas divorce, etc) have plenty of downsides. (Also, the Muppet Show Muppets go on a hiatus for most of the decade.)

Any thoughts?

we kind of are a living in a Dark pop Culture TL with the remakes and sequels.

A bit of a spoiler for my TL, but I had the idea of a "Dark Age of Comics" starting in 1976, and ending in 1990. I suppose that could be a good starting point for an original TL, extending the Dark Age of Comics. Perhaps prolong the factors that went into it, including delaying Marvel's Bankruptcy and the speculator burst.

I got one. The Beatles are not successful in the US and all the many ripples they caused like The British Invasion, The Fall of Surf Rock and various other things never happen. American music is a cesspool of pure fluff for who knows how long and foreign songs hitting the charts is just as rare as it was in the early 60s. I predict boy bands happening a lot earlier and never going away... ever. No not even to go hump a groupie.

An interesting alternate possible outcome to this POD just crossed my mind though. Soul/Funk as the dominant musical genre.

Another possibility is Easy Listening taking over forever... I don't even want to think about that.

Ian Fleming never reads Birds of the West Indies and the subsequently uninspiringly-named secret agent never catches on with the public.

NEC never buys the design of the PC Engine off of Hudson, and Hudson goes bankrupt from Nintendo reneging on the original deal.

Did Hudson was so bad financially? they were in a boom thanks to bomberman, Space Soldier and Adventure Island so they pushed that the idea of PC Engine(the chips who were a prototype of SNES PPU and the Hucards). First time hear about, can tell me more about it.