The Confederate Crown: A TILIAW (Or a little bit longer)

The Confederate Crown​

A TILIAW By Angry Celt

Gen%20JB%20Hood%20at%20Gaines%20Mill%20by%20Gallon.jpg

"God Save the Southron King and God Save his Confederate States!"

Well this is just silly.

Hey, at least let me start. It's kind of cool really.

This might be the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

:(

And you can't write people, and you never finish projects AND you haven't update your TL yet.

You're mean. Listen, this is going to be a somewhat plausible, somewhat interestingly look at a Confederate monarchy and I think it's a cool idea that no-one else has done before!

Nah, I'm done.

What?

I'm not putting up with this, I'm done.

Fine, go!

I will!

I'm still going to write it!

God, you really are terrible.

You're not even real!

And I'm still wittier than you.

Shut up, me. You're just subconcious thoughts. I'm going to post this whether anyone likes it or not.

Just... get it over with...

Extract from the Autobiography of His Southron Grace King Felix I

My father’s entrance into politics began, as is now common knowledge, in 1847 when he was elected to the State House of Representatives. Though he was born in Kentucky, he was always a firm and loyal servant of Texas. It was there that he first became a soldier and was later commissioned as a Captain. It is, however, a myth that my father had bore a hatred for the United States, he served that country loyally, whilst it was loyal to him. With the Great Betrayals of the 50’s however, it became clearer and clearer that the Yankee and Dixie states could not remain in Union forever, it simply boiled down to who would make the first move. In the end, it was us Southrons. It is commonly believed that his famous “Southron, Not American” speech took place at the Secessionist Convention, but it was in fact at the Montgomery Convention.

During the Monty, many of the propositions that had been put forwards were far more "American" than my father would have liked. My father and I traveled there with an entourage of generals and our Negro Butlers. and he immediately made his displeasure known. We had a President, a Congress, a Senate, we were in every way, as my dear father put it so well, “entrenched in our love of those who wish to see our rights removed,”. The idea of Southern identity had always been a prominent force and yet, in their delusion, many still considered themselves Yankees. My father rallied against this and asked his friends, what kind of self respecting white men were they, if they would lie down and let themselves be cowed by darkies and northerners? The emulation of Northern practices and terminology came to an end there and then. The President became the Chancellor, the Congress became the House of Governors and the Senate the House of Speakers. Even the flag was changed. This marked a huge shift in the very meaning of the Confederate cause, we were no longer continuing the United States, we were rejecting them. It was the beginning of the land we know today. Of course, we were still far from our great Kingdom. It would take much, much more for that to come to pass.

Words in Red were later redated by the publishers.

09qjztx.png

The flag of the Union of Confederate States, Circa 1861​

EDIT:To be clear, this isn't the POD, that takes place a few decades prior...

Deleted member 82792

Looks interesting. Will you go into details on the kingdoms culture?

Hmm, interesting. First we have thekingsguard's Commie South idea he's working on, and now a Dixie monarchy. Based on the quality of your other works, I'll be keeping my eye on this quite closely!

Well what have we here?

I don't know about plausibility, but my curiosity has been obtained most assuredly. Please do carry on.

Its the Plausibility of a confederate Kingdom appearing in the americas that makes me not understand this at all...but i want to see how exactly you are going to pull this off.

This looks interesting. I've always wondered about the South surviving as a monarchy ever since I read that Napoleon III proposed one of his Bonaparte-Patterson relations as king of the confederacy. A monarchic CSA might have interesting effects if Nap decides to push for an Empire in Mexico

Looks interesting. Will you go into details on the kingdoms culture?
Yep, that's going to as much focus as politics or warfare, if not more-so.

Hmm, interesting. First we have thekingsguard's Commie South idea he's working on, and now a Dixie monarchy. Based on the quality of your other works, I'll be keeping my eye on this quite closely!

Cheers FleetMac! I hope you enjoy. :D

Well what have we here?

I don't know about plausibility, but my curiosity has been obtained most assuredly. Please do carry on.

I'll try and keep it as plausible as possible and it should be a bit of fun at the very least.

Dixie as a kingdom? please continue this, don't listen to your inner voice, ill be watching.

Oh I will, I hope you like what I've got.

This looks interesting. I've always wondered about the South surviving as a monarchy ever since I read that Napoleon III proposed one of his Bonaparte-Patterson relations as king of the confederacy. A monarchic CSA might have interesting effects if Nap decides to push for an Empire in Mexico

Ah Bonapartes, so many interesting possibilities. ;)

Its the Plausibility of a confederate Kingdom appearing in the americas that makes me not understand this at all...but i want to see how exactly you are going to pull this off.

I'll do my best!

Extract from The Slaver Kings - Monarchy in North and South America by Arthur Penne

...but not the ludicrous idea that King Jerome created the Southron monarchy around himself, or the idea that it was he who first brought the theme of European Nobility back to the South. In truth it was Roger D. Miller, primarily though his 1842 work; “The Businessman and the Gentleman”. Miller divided the American upper class into two distinct subsets; the Northern Businessman and the Southern Gentleman. The Businessman was greedy, conniving and cruel, a force of destruction and change that would tear traditions apart in an attempt to make a quick buck. The Gentleman on the other hand was a kind watcher, a protector of the South, it’s people and it’s traditions. iller put great emphasis on the history of Southern men, when the English Civil War ended, many noble Cavaliers fled to England's American colonies. Miller pinpointed this as the origins of the gentlemen that even the south was beginning to forget.They were the descendants of the Anglo-Saxons and the Royalist Cavaliers, and so the thought went, if they had noble blood, why were they not treated as nobles? Miller’s work became immensely popular amongst the Southron Gentry, primarily in Virginia, Carolina and Texas. King Jerome learnt of the work in 1844 and became enraptured with the concept. Soon, he and many others were emulating European, particularly British, style and mannerisms.

By ‘50 titles had begun to emerge, meaningless things such as the now famous “Duke of Richmond” and “Earl of Austin”. The titles had no legal meaning and no presumed authority but the formality fit in well with the Southron respect for family and status. This reactionary swing can easily be marked as the first Southron steps towards Monarchy. The WASP concept helped too, the idea of a white mans burden that true Southrons would share with their British brethren and that their Yankee counterparts had let fall by the wayside. Europe was in, America was out. Cross-Atlantic marriages became increasingly common throughout the 50’s, culminating in the marriage of one James “JEB” Stuart (Who would be made Duke of Virginia Beach in 1873) to the Nineteen Year old Victoria Rawdon-Hastings, daughter of the British Earl of Hastings. In 1859. JEB had visited London two years earlier and the young Noblewoman had been enraptured with him, the two began sending letters and, as depicted in many historical romances, fell in love. The pair were married in London and Stuart given the ceremonial title “Earl of Cheltenham”, classifying him as a member of the English gentry and an eligible bachelor.

1-2-7E2-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0h3n6-a_349.jpg

Earl, later Duke, James Stuart. Even his name was one of nobility.

The British would not be the South’s true friends however and whilst those on the Western side of the Atlantic thought them two nations brothers, the sentiment was not quite mutual. In truth, the British were abhorred by slavery and whilst many saw the new southern culture as a point of interest, they were still dealing with Americans, who could never be “true noblemen”. in truth, it was the French Empire that would take the greatest interest in the south, Emperor Napoleon saw a perfect opportunity, his desires on Mexico could be well realised with American help and made several invitations to leading American figures. Over the course of the 1850s, King Jerome, Duke Lee and Earl Stuart would all make trips to Paris (though at the time they held no titles of course) and a genuine sense of fraternity began to form. In France these southerners found a warmth they could never achieve in Britain and a level of Nobility that was long dead in the United States.

In reaction, Northerners became more and more repulsed by both European and Southern nobility, the American dream and ideas of freedom became more and more important. American fashion became purely contradictory to it’s British and Southron counterparts, ironically moving towards more old fashioned style to avoid likeness to developments from London and Paris. In the December of 1859, the Federal government made the claiming of noble titles a punishable offence and ruled that all such titles were both fictional and powerless. Nowadays the move seems rather silly and the reaction to it somewhat overly dramatic but the South was greatly angered by the move. The cracks were beginning to show in the Union and with the increased success of the Republicans across the Free States, war was anticipated.

Last edited:
I see. So a much greater cultural divergence before the war.

I like how despite Anglophilia in the South the British society as a whole thinks little of them. Instead we see a warming relationship with the Second French Empire. Unexpected, look forward to how this might affect France and Europe.

"The influence of Napoleon was ever present with the men in the ranks as well as with the officers in those Civil War conflicts. Most of the soldiers, of course, really knew little or nothing of Napoleon's campaigns, tactics, and strategy other than some cliches or disconnected references which they had picked up they knew not where. It was natural enough as the sun rose big and red through the trees on the morning of April 6 that more than one Confederate thought of Napoleon's most celebrated victory and exclaimed, in hope of triumph, it is the "sun of Austerlitz."

James L. McDonough, Shiloh - In Hell Before Night, p. 85

Cutting from The Times, January 13th 1861
times-logo.gif

UNITED STATES IN CHAOS; WAR DECLARED IN WASHINGTON

Yesterday, barely a month after the secession of the Union of Confederate States, the United States of America has issued an official declaration of war upon the new nation. The UCS, consisting of the seceding states of South Carolina Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, North Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee, declared its formation on the 19th of November, the individual states having seceded one by one, over the course of the previous month. The Virginians were reported to be heavily divided and had not considered succeeding themselves until the Federal Government attempted to arrest one Robert Montague, a southern secessionist reported to be part of a “conspiracy” involving several other Southern Politicians and Generals. Montague, along with his wife and young daughter, are purported to have been killed when Federal Agents attempted to stop the Montagues’ carriage. Virginia, along with her fellow swing states Missouri and Kentucky are reported to have been enraged by the move and issued a joint declaration of independence on the 15th. This comes not long after the dismissal of seven formerly American Officers, including the now famous, or infamous, Jerome B Robertson, who went on to give a speech at the Montgomery Convention on the 22nd and Robert E Lee, a popular, if aging, Colonel, who was aghast at the move. Mr Lee issued a statement, saying “I am taken aghast by such actions when I had never once faltered in my unending support of these United States.”

210px-Rob_Toombs.jpg

Chancellor Toombs has been a popular leader since he assumed the role and has been noted for both his moderate beliefs and impassioned demeanour.

Fighting began on Tuesday, as soldiers from the Federal Government attacked Fort Chiswell, Virginia, which had been occupied by UCS soldiers and had been flying the Confederate Flag at the time, however the conflict did not become official until the declaration from Washington yesterday. Federal Soldiers were eventually able take the fort, having with them more men and more cannon than their Union counterparts. Chancellor Toombs spoke outside the Capitol Building in Charlotte today, expressing his sadness at the lives lost in the Battle of Fort Chiswell and his dismay that “We North Americans, who could not live as brothers, could neither live as peaceful neighbours.” Rumour states that Emperor Napoleon of France has dispatched officials to Charlotte, though these reports go unconfirmed and the British Government has issued an official declaration of neutrality, as has the Russian Empire. Emperor Napoleon, however, remains silent. Confederate Prime Minister Judah P Benjamin issued a public call for recognition of the budding nation and expressed the Confederate goodwill for their "friends in Europe".

Last edited:
Quick question: you listed the UCS of 19 November in your first paragraph as including Missouri and Kentucky, yet not Virginia. Then you go on to list all three as "swing states" that didn't declare for the cause until 15 November. Sooo...where's Virginia in that list, if it includes MO and KY? :p

Nitpickery aside, very nice work so far. I'm curious to see just what the exact POD is at some point, although I can be patient to see what it is (it's not Miller's "The Businessman and the Gentleman", is it?).

Quick question: you listed the UCS of 19 November in your first paragraph as including Missouri and Kentucky, yet not Virginia. Then you go on to list all three as "swing states" that didn't declare for the cause until 15 November. Sooo...where's Virginia in that list, if it includes MO and KY? :p

Nitpickery aside, very nice work so far. I'm curious to see just what the exact POD is at some point, although I can be patient to see what it is (it's not Miller's "The Businessman and the Gentleman", is it?).

Damn, I just left Virginia off the list, added back in and yeah, I like novel PoDs so we'll be seeing that in a bit, don't expect anything magnificent though.

Anyway, glad you're a fan! :)

A Letter from Emperor Napoleon II to Abraham Lincoln, dated June 4th, 1861

President Lincoln,
I have quite enjoyed our little exchange and I must say, I am very impressed with your French. However I fear, Mr President, that you have misunderstood me. We are not undergoing negotiations of any sort at the minute and for that reason this letter is addressed to you and not to your government I am most distressed, as a friend and equal, by the cruel embargo you have forced upon those you claim to be your own people. If they are Americans, why should you encourage their starvation? And if they are Dixielanders, why do you pursue a War of aggression against them. I must inform you, Mr President, that French interests in Mexico are not like to decrease, in fact I find it likely that the French and Mexican Empires are to grow closer over the course of the next few years. As you know, Emperor Maximilian's coronation is to be held on the 11th of August and I understand that both I and her Majesty, Queen Victoria of Great Britain shall be in attendance. Should our travel be impaired or, god forbid, any ships suffer an unfortunate accident on the Atlantic, I doubt that your blockade would receive the continued tolerance it has been graced with so far. I ask you to think on this Mr President and to tailor your policy accordingly.

Finally, the unpleasantness in Mexico is highly distressing to myself and my government, that lawless rebels such as these “liberals” should be found with American weaponry is such as tragic coincidence, I feel your government may be in some way implicated. Falsely, of course, I suspect that all weapons that could be found would do so merely because of unfortunate spillover from the tragic fighting going on in the New Mexico Territory, I hear General Robertson has started an effective assault on your positions in the region. I do hope that the conflict ends rapidly. You will note that I and my friends in Great Britain, Russia and Austria have recognised the Mexican Empire as the legitimate Mexican government and whilst it’s formation was somewhat more rapid than anticipated, the Empire is still a friend of Europe. I do hope that the insurgency plaguing your Southern neighbour comes to a quick, non-violent end and that no further actions need to be taken, by any party.

220px-Grandes_Armes_Imp%C3%A9riales_%281804-1815%292.svg.png

And so, Mr President, I ask that you think on these things and follow caution.
Your Friend,
His Imperial Majesty, Emperor of France
Louis-Napoleon

So the 2nd mexican Empire is getting more support. I am skeptical how much direct aid the French can give the Confederates. Wouldn't french blood spilled for Slavers irk the French masses? Also, the French have heir hands full in Mexico.

From I Rode with Royalty, the autobiography of Major Sean O'Farrel

No one really gave a damn about Fort Churchill, why would they? Churchill was a transit station more than anything else, out in the ass end of nowhere, West Nevada. Any professional soldiers were shipped out when Johnny Reb started getting uppity. By the July of 1861, there were forty of us in the garrison. Half were over the age of fifty, ten were barely old enough to have hair on their chins and the rest were disgraced, disable or in some other way unfit for Normal service. I was out there because I lost the lower half of my leg to a Navajo a year or two before, but it didn’t mean I couldn’t run a tight ship. Lieutenant O’Farrell was never a man known for his lax rules, and I kept up that reputation throughout the whole damn war. In truth though, Churchill was only half completed, construction started in 1860 and when engineers were more needed elsewhere, we were left with an unfinished fort. I had the boys make it workable though.

I digress, in truth we lost most contact with the outside world in March, after the War really kicked off in Virginia and Missouri, our telegraph lines went down and no one really cared enough to fix them, after all why waste resources on an outpost that would most like never see the fighting? Supplies stopped coming in mid way through June and we knew something was up. Not much we could do though so I just halves rations and hoped for the best. We doubled training too, my lads may have been old, green and broken but I made a hell of a disciplined force out of them. A few gave me grief for being an Irishman but a smack around the ear tended to shut them up. nothing I could do however could have prepared them for what came. I’d say there was a thousand of ‘em, Rebs and Reds, as them came to be known. All cavalry, even the few cannon they’d brought with them were small enough to be pulled at speed. It was General Robertson, some Texan that most of the south were swooning over, leading the force but beside him rode Manuelito, another bloody Navajo, from the same group that took my leg, if you’ll believe it. By the time they got just outside of range they stopped and I could see just how many there were. Two thousand Dixielanders and almost double that many redmen. We were ludicrously outnumbered and they could have wipe us of the face of God’s earth. They didn’t though, under s white flag General Robertson rode forwards with two Navajo behind him. He asked to see the commander of the fort and when I came out to meet him he did the darndest thing. The Texan wished me a good day and asked if I was well, when I affirmed he asked if I thought it was worth fighting. I shook my head maybe a little too fast and he smiled and said; “Well my Irish friend, looks like Mr Lincoln’s left you to the wolves. We’ve been on the war path for weeks now, you think he’d of warned you. Listen up, the fort belongs to the UCS now but I don’t want to spill any blood. Your men and serve on if they like, so long as they pledge allegiance to the South and if they don’t want to they can go home, we’ll give ‘em a horse and some chow. The younger ones can ride with us and the older folks can stay here with a few of my boys.” The offer was a damned good one but for a moment I did think about good old Uncle Sam, nevertheless, a second later I was shaking his hand. When we rode out three days later, Robertson left 50 of his men to guard the fort. Most of the old men agreed to stay and pledged allegiance to the new commander whilst the youngsters took up ranks with Robertson’s army. I was going to stay myself until I got an interesting offer. A new horse, double pay and a promotion to Captain if I’d ride at his side. It was too good an offer to refuse but I still had no clue just why the Confederates even wanted a fort so in the middle of no where...

confederate-cavalry-1-72-scale-929-p.jpg

Robertson's Army was just a smaller detachment from Earl Stuart's but nevertheless was a huge threat.

So the 2nd mexican Empire is getting more support. I am skeptical how much direct aid the French can give the Confederates. Wouldn't french blood spilled for Slavers irk the French masses? Also, the French have heir hands full in Mexico.

Oh the French are unlikely to have any large involvement just yet, for now thought the pressure of overt foreign support for the UCS will not make for happy days in Washington.

Mexico will be a mess but actually not as much as OTL, you'll see why! :)