AHC: Make Adrian Carton de Wiart one of Britain's most famous full generals.

7745614_128324270056.jpg

Carton de Wiart is one of those historical figures that you couldn't put into an action movie, because the audience would refuse to believe that they could possibly exist, and would likely overshadow the main hero anyway. Here's his Wikipedia article if you want to see a life story more interesting than Forrest Gump's.

However, the man would never come to command anything above a division, and that was a division that never left the British Isles. Aside from a brief campaign in Norway, he wouldn't really lead frontline units during World War II. In fact, much of the war for him was spent in a Prisoner of War camp (he tried digging a tunnel for 7 months, alongside four other attempts to escape, though he might have gone a little faster if he had two hands). Your challenge is to change that. The goal is to have have him attain the ran of General or above, commanding a Field Army or Army Group. I'm not sure about his actual abilities as a military commander (aside from presumably halting the German Blitzkrieg with his face), but damn if he wasn't determined.

Hmm.

I was going to say have him more decorated in WW1 for more renown, but he got a VC so...

Perhaps you'd need to get rid of other OTL generals.

Maybe have the Allies throw in their lot with the Kuomintang and have him sent there to lead the British efforts in China?

Maybe have the Allies throw in their lot with the Kuomintang and have him sent there to lead the British efforts in China?

Now that sounds like it could work. Maybe have him lead a British version of the Flying Tigers? Or a land equivalent, picked the Tigers not for the air force but because of what they were.

Now that sounds like it could work. Maybe have him lead a British version of the Flying Tigers? Or a land equivalent, picked the Tigers not for the air force but because of what they were.

I was picturing the British stomping the Japanese when they try for Singapore, then go on to clear out Thailand and FIC, like a reverse-Invasion of Burma. That needs a lot more stuff to go right for Britain than OTL. Maybe serving with distinction in Norway, but pissing off somebody important nonetheless (neither of which is very difficult for him) gets him a 'promotion' to the Far East.

TFSmith121

Banned
The problem, however, is that de Wiart was

The problem, however, is that de Wiart was, termpermentally, an excellent WW I battalion commander, and a good brigade commander. He would have been out of his depth at any level above brigade, and even then, he could not have handled a mobile force - plus he was on the retired list from 1924 to 1939, with absolutely no PME (Staff College or anywhere else) or even any experience with motorization or post-WW I communications, etc.

And he was born in 1880, so he's a contemporary of Ironside - his recall in 1939 and subsequent career, which found him assigned to British military missions to Poland, Yugoslavia, and China (where he had never served prior to 1943) is is pretty much indicative of how quixotic many of Churchill's decisions were...

Undoubtedly a brave man, and capable at his level, but to get him to any combat command level over brigadier is borderline ASB.

Best,

Last edited:
From memory he hated the Far East, I am not sure if this was confined to India. It was in one of the articles I was perusing for my TL Angkor Resurgent.

Nevertheless he is an interesting man, but his greatest claim as a general may very well be in a training establishment.

Driftless

Donor
The problem, however, is that de Wiart was, termpermentally, an excellent WW I battalion commander, and a good brigade commander. He would have been out of his depth at any level above brigade, and even then, he could not have handled a mobile force - plus he was on the retired list from 1924 to 1939, with absolutely no PME (Staff College or anywhere else) or even any experience with mortorization or post-WW I communications, etc.

And he was born in 1880, so he's a contemporary of Ironside - his recall in 1939 and subsequent career, which found him assigned to British military missions to Poland, Yugoslavia, and China (where he had never served prior to 1943) is is pretty much indicative of how quixotic many of Churchill's decisions were...

Undoubtedly a brave man, and capable at his level, but to get him to any combat command level over brigadier is borderline ASB.

Best,

Wasn't personal valor a characteristic that counted very heavily with Churchill? Heart over head - to put it simplistically?

TFSmith121

Banned
Yes, but even Churchill recognized command required

Wasn't personal valor a characteristic that counted very heavily with Churchill? Heart over head - to put it simplistically?

Yes, but even Churchill recognized command required more than "spirit" ...

Best,

Put him into North Africa as a supervisor for the various 'special forces' there?
H'mm... 'Dewiartforce' rather than 'Layforce'?

Freyburg is wounded or killed in Greece and Wiart's put in command of Crete, where his crazy aggressive command style will be of some use.

Saphroneth

Banned
High ranking liason officer who stands off a number of (Japanese?) attacks (quite possibly personally) might work.

TFSmith121

Banned
Given his Polish experience, it seems that serving as the

High ranking liason officer who stands off a number of (Japanese?) attacks (quite possibly personally) might work.

Given his Polish experience, it seems that serving as the British civil/military liason to the Anders government/army would seem the most rational assignment, but apparently he had made some enemies in Poland in 1939.

Other than that, maybe British liason to the Belgians, given his ancestry?

Sending him anywhere in Asia seems like one of those inspiredly lunatic leaps by Churchill akin to sending Wingate to Burma...

Surely the British had some young "old China hands"? I mean, obviously they didn't have a Joseph Stilwell (or even a Claire Chennault) but one expects they had "somebody" who a) knew the country; b) knew the language (!); and c) didn't see the Chinese as "whimsical little people"...

Anyone know?

Best,