A World Turned Upside Down - A Napoleon TL

A World Turned Upside Down

Lejb_Guard_Litov_attack_at_Borodino.jpg

Russian troops attempt a rearguard action at Borodino

Borodino, Moscow Oblast
September 7th

Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov watched the battle with frustration but also relief. His forces, while exhausted, had done the same to the French. Kutuzov watched his army began to amble away from the battlefield. He looked around to see most of his staff were beginning to pack up the camp in preparation for the retreat. He harrumphed and began to retreat when suddenly he heard someone exclaim from behind him.

"Field Marshal! The Frenchies are not done yet! Something is happening!" he shouted.

Kutuzov returned to his position and looked down on the battlefield and his once, while not happy but slightly disappointed attitude tanked. He saw a horde of magnificent white and black horses coming from the French left flank. On them were riders clothed in exquisite fashion. Their uniforms were unmistakable. They were the feared Imperial Guard. They had not yet seen the horrors of this battle. They were bearing down on his men like the feral demons but with discipline that could only come from such veterancy as theirs. His men could not match them, even if not in such a tired state as they are now. It is only inevitable Kutuzov's army will be destroyed should he hesitate at now, this critical moment.

He pulled a messenger next to him close "I need you to deliver this message to General Tuchkov. Tell him that Napoleon is committing his Guard and the battle is not yet done." he then sent him off. He then watched as the Guard slammed into his fleeing men. The screams were terrifying as the Guard began to make short work of his men. The rest of the men continued to flee however as the rest of the French Army, albeit sluggishly, began a general advance. Suddenly he saw his Army began to turn toward the skirmish on the left flank. Rifles began to crack as Generals on both sides began to rally their forces. The Battle was not over.

Kutuzov rode furiously down toward the skirmish to assume personal control, closely followed by his staff. He needed absolute clarity in his orders. As he rode up to the battle almost immediately a bullet hit his horse in the knee. The horse screamed in pain as it tumbled to the ground and Kutuzov was thrown forward. He slammed into the ground and he heard a distinctive crunch. When he turned over and put his hand to his nose he found that it had been crunched. He still rose to his feet, brushing away his aides as they tried to evacuate him, and tried to lead his men. He shouted orders but quickly realized how pointless the action was. Over the clanking of sabers and bayonets, the cracking rifles, the pounding of artillery and the other sounds of war his voice was tiny. Suddenly however he was met with even more bad news. He watched as his men began to break and stream away, past him.

"Fight! Fight you cowards!" Kutuzov shouted as they ran by.

"Sir! Take my horse and get out of here! You cannot fall into enemy hands!" one of his aides said as he dismounted.

"....As much as I hate it, you are right. I cannot let my army fall, its the only thing saving Russia from French domination." Kutuzov said. He mounted the steed and quickly departed; passing men, cavalry, and riderless horses as he went. He was one of the luck ones. With Napoleon committing the Imperial Guard to the battle, he tore the Russian Army to shreds. The Battle of Borodino was a turning point for the war. While it was not by any means going well before Borodino, it certainly did not do well after. Kutuzov and his army were routed with massive casualties by the French. Behind them they left ~75,000 dead or wounded. However they did not leave without dealing their own fair share of damage. Napoleon was forced to bear a staggering 50,000 casualties on his own. They appeared to not phase him however as a week later, Napoleon occupied Moscow. The City was planned to be burned by Kutuzov, but with his army in shambles and Napoleon advancing, he could not manage it. Instead, Napoleon gained valuable winter quarters from which to operate from.

When Czar Alexander heard of the disaster at Borodino, he flew into a rage. He immediately sacked Kutuzov and demanded Field Marshal de Tolly, as new Field Marshal of the Russian Empire, retake Moscow immediately. However his orders fell on deaf ears as de Tolly was missing, having almost dropped off the map in the confusion at Borodino.* Alexander then reasoned to hold out for the Winter, launch an offensive in the Spring, but his advisors cautioned against it. They asked the Czar to give into Napoleon's demands. A month later, as Napoleon continued to sit comfortably in Moscow and his army froze around it, Alexander capitulated. He met with Napoleon on October 24th in Moscow and accepted his terms on one condition; Russian Poland stay under Russian control. Napoleon accepted and Russia ceased trade with the UK.

*de Tolly had fled northward with the Army's right flank, but was unable to accept his new command as he was cut off from the Czar, who was based in Ryazan.

Last edited:
ooooooh yes, this looks good! subscribed!

Poland cannot *stay* under Russian control since it was not fully so at the start of the war. Also I would assume that, (for example given the number of Poles in Napoléon's army), expanding a bit the duchy of Warsaw would be a major war goal of Napoléon, right?

Maybe the tsar could instead negociate for the return of prisoners (there should be quite the number of them, between those taken at Borodino, the city garrisons, and maybe some from Tolly's trapped army?)

Looks pretty good, I don't think I've seen any timelines about Napoleon before which is pretty surprising now that I think of it.

Where do you get this Minnie ball? It wasn't invented yet. Both sides used round bullets with a great deal of wind age in the barrels. Rifles were not that common and where very slow to be reloaded.

... A month later, as Napoleon continued to sit comfortably in Moscow and his army froze around it, Alexander capitulated. He met with Napoleon on October 24th in Moscow and accepted his terms on one condition; Poland stay under Russian control. Napoleon accepted and Russia ceased trade with the UK.

Sorry but this is not credible.

The result of a war, won by Napoleon, that was caused by the failure of the provisions of the treaty of Tilsitt of 1807 can not be ... a return to the provisions of 1807, or even less credible, giving Poland to Russia.

This is just not logical.

Napoleon made himself a fool in 1807 because he had become far too much proud. The war of 1812 was the terrible cost he had to pay for the mistake of 1807.

By october of 1812, the campaign of Russia is already a disaster for the french empire. The casulaties are catastrophic.

ANd you can be sure that Alexander would just wait that the remnants of the Grande Armée have left Russia to cease enforcing the continental blockade again.

Besides, the poles were the most devoted followers of napoleonic France. He would never have handed back the great Duchy of Warsaw to Russia. They would have revolted. And as soon as they would learn that Russia capitulates, the part of Poland (not Lituania) that had remained under russian control in 1807 would have rebelled too.

Sorry but this is not credible.

The result of a war, won by Napoleon, that was caused by the failure of the provisions of the treaty of Tilsitt of 1807 can not be ... a return to the provisions of 1807, or even less credible, giving Poland to Russia.

This is just not logical.

Napoleon made himself a fool in 1807 because he had become far too much proud. The war of 1812 was the terrible cost he had to pay for the mistake of 1807.

By october of 1812, the campaign of Russia is already a disaster for the french empire. The casulaties are catastrophic.

ANd you can be sure that Alexander would just wait that the remnants of the Grande Armée have left Russia to cease enforcing the continental blockade again.

Besides, the poles were the most devoted followers of napoleonic France. He would never have handed back the great Duchy of Warsaw to Russia. They would have revolted. And as soon as they would learn that Russia capitulates, the part of Poland (not Lituania) that had remained under russian control in 1807 would have rebelled too.
I think he's referring to the parts of Poland still under Russian control after 1807.Yes,there's no way Napoleon would handover the Grand Duchy of Warsaw to the Russians.He won the war afterall,he would not be ceding any land.

I think he's referring to the parts of Poland still under Russian control after 1807.Yes,there's no way Napoleon would handover the Grand Duchy of Warsaw to the Russians.He won the war afterall,he would not be ceding any land.
Yes that is what I meant. From what I read (which admitablly was scarce) I assumed that Napoleon mainly added the rest of Poland as a war goal to get the Poles on his side.

Panic in Parliament

Lord_Liverpool.jpg

Lord Liverpool​

London, United Kingdom
November 3rd

Lord Liverpool sat in Parliament and nervously watched the argument unfolding before him. News of Russia's capitulation and cutting off trade had thrown the Parliament into a debate about ending the war. It was not because of the embargo, far from it. It was because Napoleon seemed unstoppable. He had flattened the Prussians, destroyed the Austrians, and smashed the Russians. Now, if word is right, he is moving his Grand Armee back to France to prepare for fresh offensives into Spain, one of the few major nations in Europe that still trades with the UK. Napoleon had almost united Continental Europe, and Britain will be next if he does. Parliament had met in an emergency session to discuss whether or not to agree to terms. The meeting has now taken a turn for the worst, devolving into little more than a shouting match between the pro-peace and pro-war PM's.

Suddenly the Secretary of State for War and the Colonies, who had attended the meeting under request by Lord Liverpool himself, stood "Please! Everybody quiet down!" he shouted.

Parliament quieted as Minister began to speak "Now I get both of your arguments but I feel I must intercede. There must not be peace, not while Napoleon continues to ravage the Continent. If we hold our own we can have Wellington strike through Spain and into France. Most of you are not military men, so I do not expect you to understand how much this matters. This war with Napoleon will decide the fate of Europe. We must not fail." he declared.

The room was dead silent for three seconds and then the shouting restarted. Liverpool could not take it anymore. He stood and Parliament once again quieted, albeit more reluctantly this time. "I know times are tough now but we must pull through! We made a commitment to the Continent when we went to war in 1803. We committed to seeing the Emperor and his Grand Army beaten to dust. If I have anything to say about it, The United Kingdom will honor that promise. I only ask that you allow it to." he began

"What about the Public? They demand your resignation! This war is over!" a man from the crowd shouted.

"The public are ill informed and cannot see the larger picture. If what the Secretary's reports are true, Duke Wellington is pushing through Spain. If we allow him to do his job we could bring the fight to France itself." Lord Liverpool responded.

"You can assure us victory if we allow Wellington to push into Spain?" the same man asked.

"N-no. I cannot assure anything. However I do feel strongly that Wellington is a capable man. If anybody can bring us to victory, he can. This war still can be won!" he said.

"Tell that to the Russians." the unknown man said.

"Please, Members of Parliament. I ask of you to please allow the War in Spain to take its course. After that, then make any decisions." Liverpool said. He was confident in Wellington. He had performed almost to well so far and his victory was assured. If he could beat Napoleon, he would win the war.

After more grumbling the men took a vote on whether to seek peace. By a margin of 26 votes Parliament agreed to continue the war. Britain had become more firm in her resolve. However all was not well. When news of Parliament's vote spread protests erupted across Britain. The War had been going on for nine years and only brought defeat. Only since Wellington intervening in Portugal has the British tasted victory for all their troubles. However, with the Grand Armee on their way the Spanish front seemed to be in danger. The Public was tired of war and demanded the man they deemed responsible for keeping it going, Lord Liverpool, to resign. Liverpool, with a reluctant Parliament at his back, did their best to ignore them for the most part and instead focused on the War. It was not yet over.

Yes, but there is still no way Napoleon and Alexander would resume the 1907 situation because same causes produce same results. Alexander will cesse enforcing the continental blockade as soon as the Grand Army has left and he has rebuilt his forces.

Alexander OTL just needed winter1812/1813 to rebuild his army.

Yes, but there is still no way Napoleon and Alexander would resume the 1907 situation because same causes produce same results. Alexander will cesse enforcing the continental blockade as soon as the Grand Army has left and he has rebuilt his forces.

It'd be pretty damn hard for Napoleon and Alexander to return to the 1907 situation.:D

Yes,that is the most likely outcome,but I would imagine Napoleon would find someway to enforce the new treaty considering he would know well from past Russian 'treachery'.

Britain is in deep shit - because it's also involved against the Americans at the same time. A defeat in Spain, especially if Napoleon will invade Portugal as well, would have deep consequences in North America...

Now, if word is right, he is moving his Grand Armee back to France to prepare for fresh offensives into Spain, one of the few major nations in Europe that still trades with the UK.

In 1812, Spain is ruled by Napoleon's brother, King Joseph, and is fully compliant with the Continental System. British forces are in Spain, contesting French control, so it's a target for Napoleo, but not to enforce teh embargo of Britain.

Yes,that is the most likely outcome,but I would imagine Napoleon would find someway to enforce the new treaty considering he would know well from past Russian 'treachery'.

Well, that's what I meant. But there probably no other means for this than depriving Russia of a part of its territories : Poland. This was the original french plan of the russian campaign of 1812.

But what can he do about it?

He can't rule his empire indefinitely from somewhere in the middle of Russia, and as soon as he goes away Alexander will start preparing for the next round.

But what can he do about it?

He can't rule his empire indefinitely from somewhere in the middle of Russia, and as soon as he goes away Alexander will start preparing for the next round.

Perhaps but the Tzar would need a long time even before to try something. And if in the meanwhile Britain accepted to come to terms over Napoleon, who would dare to help the Russians? The Austrians? The Prussians?

If Napoleon will get a definitive treaty with London, it would be only a thing: victory of the Revolution. And consequently, the Napoleonic power will become a fixture once its last enemy would recognize it.

I am working on a massive update that will cover the entire Peninsular War so it might be done within the next few days.