1968: A Year Of Turmoil

• Thread starter Deleted member 87099
  • Start date

Deleted member 87099

Hello! I'm gonna start writing again. Suggestions are very welcome and constructive criticism is too. Enjoy!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KENNEDY IS DEAD, VICTIM OF ASSASSIN; SUSPECT, ARAB IMMIGRANT, ARRAIGNED; JOHNSON ANNOUNCES ANTI VIOLENCE TOUR
- New York Times 6/4/68

Now you see, when The President meant 'Anti Violence Tour' he didn't mean starting some massive movement. He just meant some small campaign on the domestic front because the recent violence was getting intense, you know with the assassinations of King and Kennedy as well as massive protests all over the country. The only reason why he agreed to do the tour was because George (Christian) said that it would 'help his public image' and I guess he was at least somewhat right because anything could help his public image at that point, I mean his public approval ratings were getting below forty percent.
- I'm Still Here Autobiography of former president Hubert Humphrey

Yes, The President has decided what cities he will visit. They are the following: Richmond, Virginia; Raleigh, North Carolina; Atlanta, Georgia; Montgomery, Alabama; and Dallas; Texas. The President wishes that he could visit more cities but he says that he can't as multiple crises, both foreign and domestic are taking up most of his time.
- Excerpt from White House Press Conference 6/9/68

CONGRESS PASSES NEW GOVERNMENT SPENDING BILL, JOHNSON STARTS TOUR TOMORROW
- Dallas Morning News 6/29/68

That is why, in light of recent events, we the people of the United States of America should embrace peace and harmony and become an example to other countries who wish to embrace said values.
- Excerpt form speech by president Lyndon Baines Johnson, Richmond, Virginia 6/30/68

Now, I am pleased to welcome, the most important man in our country, President Lyndon Baines Johnson.
- The President being welcomed by former Georgia state senator Jimmy Carter. Atlanta, Georgia 7/8/68

Montgomery was a bad idea. First, that place was a breeding ground for violence and race riots. Second, we had to deal with that racist troublemaker Wallace. Even though he wasn't governor anymore he still held influence in that state. Third, most of the people there already hated the living hell out of Johnson anyways. All we needed was for that one god damn stupid, racist, radical to do something.
-I'm Still Here Autobiography of former president Hubert Humphrey

My father took me to see the speech when I was little. I was so young that he had to put me on his shoulders so that I could see him. Even after all these years I still remember what happened that day. The crowd kept getting increasingly rowdy, people were yelling these chants, and fights were breaking out. After a couple minutes of this my father told me that we should go home 'because tomorrow was going to be a big day' I look down to answer him and I hear this sound, it was kind of like a firecracker but louder. That scared me, back then loud noises scared me. I tried to turn around but my father grabbed me and started running from the scene. I would only find out later that The President had been shot.
- Samantha Bowden, quoted in the documentary America In the 1960's

PRESIDENT SHOT, IN CRITICAL CONDITION. KKK MEMBER BELIEVED TO BE RESPONSIBLE
- New York Times 7/14/68

AFTER 19 HOURS ON LIFE SUPPORT JOHNSON DIES. HUMPHREY SWORN IN
- New York Times 7/15/68

I'm still here, friend. We are still here. We will not let your memory fade away in the blink of an eye, you will always be here, friend. We will not let violence and anarchy prevail over peace and justice.
- Excerpt from I'm still here speech by Hubert Humphrey 7/16/68

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 87099

IN OBSERVANCE OF OUR NATIONAL MOURNING DISNEY LAND IS CLOSED TODAY
- Sign outside of Disney Land 7/15/68

GOD SAVE OUR COUNTRY
- Graffiti, New York City

NEW PRESIDENT HUMPHREY PLEADS FOR CALM AS RIOTS ENGULF STATE
- Mobile Register, 7/16/68

I was terrified. Not because of the fact that I was The President, I was already running in the primaries and every man running in the primaries wants to be The President. It was just that the circumstances that lead to me being The President were terrifying. Lyndon was also a personal friend of mine so his death was extremely personal to me, and I guess I may have wrongly taken out some of my anger on George, the man who I felt was responsible, so I fired him on the spot. But then I needed a new Press Secretary which is not an easy thing to find but after a few days I found one, Bill Moyers. Now, Moyers recently served under Johnson even though they drifted apart he still thought highly of him.

RIOTS TAKE OVER CITY, NATIONAL GUARD SENT IN
- Los Angeles Times 7/17

Why is it that every god damn person who wants to do something about our country gets shot!
- Senator George McGovern, to an aide

So I ask you Mr. Moyers will you help your country in its time of need.
- Excerpt from letter to Bill Moyers from Hubert Humphrey

I told him strictly that if I were to become Press Secretary then he had to end involvement in Vietnam, I knew that wouldn't be big problem for him because I remember talking to him about the issue before and he said that we shouldn't have even done the massive bombing campaign.
- My White House Life, Memoir by Bill Moyers

PRESIDENT ENDS BOMBING CAMPAIGN IN VIETNAM
- New York Time 7/20/68

It is time for us to observe ourselves from a different perspective. That perspective is the one of a Vietnamese child, are we really the protectors and liberators that we say we are? Or are we monsters with the blood of the innocent on our hands.
- Excerpt form speech by Hubert Humphrey 7/20/68

Thoughts of the candidates on the recent assassination of President Johnson:
President Hubert Humphrey: Lyndon Johnson was a great man and national hero to our country we were blessed to have him as president of The United States.
Senator Eugene McCarthy: I can't help but think that former president Johnson may have brought this upon himself saying such remarks that strongly supported civil rights in an anti civil rights state.
Former Vice President Richard Nixon: The shooting of The President is a tragedy to our nation, one that I hope that we can eventually overcome.
Governor Ronald Reagan: I feel that what is seen by the public regarding The Johnson Assassination isn't the entire truth and that we should investigate this more thoroughly to see if espionage and subterfuge played a hand in this.
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: I am saddened by the loss of President Johnson, even though we were on other side of the aisle we still got along.
Former Governor Harold Stassen: The Johnson Assassination is one of the greatest tragedies that our nation has ever seen, but we need a real leader to step up to the plate and fix our nation's problems.
Former Governor George Wallace: Instead of Johnson, we need a real leader for our country. A leader that won't shy away when facing challenges.
- Time Magazine 7/68

REPUBLICAN CONVENTION TOMORROW- What To Expect: Expect front runner Richard Nixon to make a strong showing as well Governor Reagan.
- The Miami News 8/4/68

TERRORIST STRIKES CONVENTION- Today four nail bombs detonated at the Republican National Convention today. Among the casualties are: The deaths of Governor Spiro Agnew, Governor George Romney, Mayor John Lindsay, and Governor James Rhodes as well the wounding of Governor Ronald Reagan, and Senator Clifford Case.
- Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News 8/5/68

The thought that Harold Stassen could actually win in this ATL - is both amusing and slightly funny (basically everyone else must die for him to become President!)

Deleted member 87099

The thought that Harold Stassen could actually win in this ATL - is both amusing and slightly funny (basically everyone else must die for him to become President!)

Yeah who would have thought that to give Harold Stassen a chance you just need to kill and maim half of the republican party. LOL:D

Deleted member 87099

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
----------------------------------------

REPUBLICAN PARTY IN TURMOIL- Terrorist strikes convention notable members like Romney killed, Reagan paralyzed
- New York Times 8/6/68

MASSIVE RIOTS ACROSS STATE
- The Miami News 8/7/68

Yes, The President stated that the attack at the Republican Convention is a horrible is a vile travesty and that he will try to look further into it.
- Excerpt from White House press conference 8/8/68

Ronald Reagan felt angry in the hospital room that he lived in while waiting to get his legs amputated below the knee. He was in a lot of pain and began to think that his political career would be over. He would be wheelchair bound for the rest of his life and never have nearly as much strength that he used to have. But this did not break his formidable spirit. He vowed to take a break from his political career, knowing that he will probably have to go through years of rehabilitation. Yet he knew other ways to better the Republican Party, harnessing the power of the media.
- A True American Biography of Ronald Reagan by Bill O'Reilly

REPUBLICAN PARTY ANOUNCES NEW CONVENTION IN SACRAMENTO FROM
AUGUST 26-30
- Los Angeles Times 8/10/68

Harold I think that you are one of the best candidates out there, but sadly you don't have a lot of votes or backing from other Republicans. So I'll make a deal with you. You drop out of the presidential race and I will endorse you for Vice President.
- Excerpt from letter from Richard Nixon to Harold Stassen

In the news today, there has been major youth riots across the city of Chicago the National Guard has been called in to reestablish order.
- Walter Cronkite CBS Evening News 8/12/68

END THE VIOLENCE END THE DEATH
- Graffiti in Chicago

DEMOCRAT CONVENTION MOVED TO DALLAS, GOING TO COINCIDE WITH REPUBLICAN CONVENTION
- Dallas Morning News 8/15/68

This is great - here's hoping that Humphrey selects someone like George Smathers or Ernest Vandiver for VP! Go Nixon/Stassen!

Thank you for the support:D

Actually anti-communist HUAC Chairman Richard H. Ichord, Jr. (D-MO) would be a good choice of HHH's VP (*hint hint*) - it would probably fit in with the macabre settings of this TL as well (not that that's a bad thing necessarily.)

I think the Democrats will win this election. Both parties can pull the death card, but even IOTL, with a huge number of disadvantages they nearly won 1968. They don't have as many, so they will probably win.

Deleted member 87099

Thanks for the feedback and support!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

STASSEN LEAVES PRESIDENTIAL RACE
- Boston Globe 8/17/68

In the news today, Former Vice President Richard Nixon endorses Former Governor Harold Stassen for Vice President. This news comes just after Stassen announced that he will leave the presidential race.
- Walter Cronkite CBS Evening News 8/18/68

I do think that Mr. Nixon and Mr. Stassen had a deal worked out ahead of time. This is why I am pleading for the backing of other Republicans to create an anti Nixon front.
- Excerpt from a speech by Nelson Rockefeller 8/20/68

SECURITY WILL BE HIGH AT CONVENTIONS- At both the Democratic and Republican debates there will be high security. Not many members of the media will be welcome at either. CBS has been able to cover the Democratic Convention while NBC has been able to cover the Republican one.
- Dallas Morning News 8/22/68

NAIL BOMB EXPLODES AT RESIDENCE OF CURTIS LEMAY
- Los Angeles Times 8/23/68

This just in, it is indeed confirmed that Curtis Lemay as well as his wife Hellen have been killed in the nail bomb attack on their home.
- Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News 8/23/68

It is a great tragedy to our nation that my running mate, Curtis Lemay, was killed by 'The Mad bomber'. If you elect me as president of The United States of America then I will end all violent extremism in our country. My new running mate will be Strom Thurmond senator from South Carolina.
- Excerpt from speech by George Wallace 8/24/68

Now, what to expect at tomorrow's conventions:
At the Republican Convention, Richard Nixon will probably win even though Nelson Rockefeller is putting up a formidable Anti-Nixon campaign. As for Vice President it looks like Harold Stassen will get the nomination as his only competition is Edward Brooke from Massachusetts.
As for The Democratic Convention, It is almost certain that President Humphrey will get the nomination, because the McCarthy campaign seems to have lost its strength. As for Vice President that will be the most closely contested contest of either convention, it will include Edmund Muskie from Maine, George McGovern from South Dakota, George Smathers from Florida, as well as the little known black horse candidate Richard Ichord from Missouri.
- Walter Cronkite CBS Evening News 8/25/68

To recap what we've seen today during a relatively uneventful day in the Republican Convention. To start off the convention Richard Nixon and Nelson Rockefeller gave their own opening speeches, both of them congratulated each other for making it this far. Shortly after that Edward Brooke conceded the Vice Presidential nomination to Harold Stassen.
- ABC Primary Night Special 8/26/68

After one last attack against sitting President Hubert Humphrey, Eugene McCarthy concedes the presidential nomination to him. The convention agreed to start the Vice Presidential nomination process tomorrow.
- CBS Primary Night Special 8/26/68

After a very strong attack against Nixon today, Governor Rockefeller is still losing in the convention tally.
- ABC Primary Night Special 8/27/68

Today has been an intense day for the Democratic Primary, George Smathers dropped out and supported dark horse candidate Richard Ichord, he says that he supports him because of his fiery anti communist redirek. He now ties George McGovern in the convention tally, but they are both behind Edmund Muskie.
- CBS Primary Night Special 8/27/68

Today, Governor Rockefeller has conceded the Presidential Nomination to Richard Nixon after beginning to massively fall behind him. This marks the end of the Republican convention making their nomination as Richard Nixon for President and Harold Stassen for Vice President.
- ABC Primary Night Special 8/28/68

Today we were sadly informed that Edmund Muskie from Maine died in a car accident last night. At the beginning of the convention today a moment of silence was held for him as all of his convention tallies fell undecided. A decision for Vice President will probably be held tomorrow in this hard fought match between George McGovern and Richard Ichord.
- CBS Primary Night Special 8/28/68

In a dramatic and surprising turn of events the Vice Presidential Nomination goes to Richard Ichord. The nomination was close and only decided between a few convention tallies. The Democrats have now announced that this ends their convention. Their nomination is Hubert Humphrey for President and Richard Ichord for Vice President.
- CBS Primary Special 8/29/68

I can't believe I was beaten by a radical!
- George McGovern to an aide

I must say this to Mr. Richard Nixon and Mr. Harold Stassen, bring it on and let the best man win.
- Excerpt from speech by Hubert Humphrey 8/30/68

Last edited by a moderator:
:D

Though Wallace couldn't run with Allen as they're both Alabamans - perhaps Strom Thurmond, James Eastland or Lester Maddox?

Deleted member 87099

:D

Though Wallace couldn't run with Allen as they're both Alabamans - perhaps Strom Thurmond, James Eastland or Lester Maddox?

Oh wow i completely overlooked that. i have some editing to do.

Deleted member 87099

I have hopes for America. I want to restore law and order. I want to resume bombing in Vietnam to show the world that America can still defeat the evil forces of communism. I want to appoint judges to the supreme court who won't interfere with social policies. I want to end the draft. But I also want your vote. Vote for Dick to make America's hopes realities.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Nixon 9/1/68

My running mate and I have high hopes for the America that you know. We want to restore peace and justice to our troubled nation. We want to punish The Mad Bomber show him that America will not be trifled with. Lastly, I want to make sure that the forces of communism will be halted worldwide through any means necessary.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord 9/3/68

We open the scene on a little Vietnamese girl picking flowers in a meadow.
She will pick the flowers for a few minutes trying to find a big and pretty one.
She finds one and looks at it for a little bit.
While she does that an airplane flies in the corner of the screen.
The pilot says "Commence bombing"
Bombs explode all around the little girl as she ducks for cover.
Screen fades to black.
Narrator says "This is what will happen when you vote in a man who is careless"'
He then says "Vote Humphrey/Ichord 64'"
This ad was made by the Humphrey '64 campaign and approved by Hubert Humphrey, flashes on the screen.
- First concept idea of the controversial 'commence bombing' campaign ad

I wasn't too keen on having Ichord as my running mate at first. He always contradicted my statements on Vietnam and he was more red paranoid than Nixon, and 'commence bombing' was his idea.

STASSEN CHALLENGES TO DEBATE ICHORD
- New York Times 9/6/68

6 INJURED WHEN POLICE ATTACK DURING WOMEN'S LIBERATION GROUP PROTEST
- New York Times 9/7/68

PRESIDENT HUMPHREY CALLS POLICE ATTACK A GROSS MISUSE OF POWER
- New York Times 9/8/68

FUNERAL FOR MUSKIE HELD IN HOMETOWN OF RUMFORD
- Portland Press Herald 9/9/68

In the news today, Vice Presidential candidate Richard Ichord agrees to debate Harold Stassen, the two agreed for the debate to be on September 25.
- Walter Cronkite CBS Evening News 9/10/68

NAIL BOMB EXPLODES IN FBI HEADQUARTERS- In the FBI headquarters in DC, a nail bomb exploded in the office of Director J. Edgar Hoover. He and 3 other men were killed and 4 more got injured. The President announced that they will investigate to find out who 'The Mad Bomber' really is.
- Daily News 9/12/68