Restored Byzantium 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOC: So this is a reboot of one of my previous TLs, which was written rather sub par. Here is the start of the reboot

Chapter I: The Fourth Greco Turkish War
Section I:The beginning of Turkish Defeat

The war between Greece and Turkey had been raging for two years when the Battle of Dorylaion [OTL Battle of Kütahya–Eskişehir] started. After bitter fighting, the Turkish towns of Kara Hissar, Kütahya, and Eski Şehir were occupied by Greeks (who called the towns Nikopolis, Kotyaion, and Dorylaion, respectively) [OTL names are Afyonkarahisar, Kütahya, and Eskişehir]. While the Chief of the General Staff of Turkey, Mustafa İsmet [İsmet İnönü], was defeated in these battles, much of his army had survived, and İsmet planned a retreat to the Sakarya river. Simultaneously, Greek Commander in Chief Anastasios Papoulas planned to move his army south from Dorylaion to Nikopolis in order to amass troops and start building defences, for Papoulas realised that the recently conquered territory was excellent for defensive warfare [1]. These two armies met outside ʿAzīziyye [OTL Emirdağ], and engaged in the Battle of Amorion (Amorion is the Greek name for Emirdağ). The Battle lasted from August 7 to 13, and was a smashing victory for Greece. The Turkish troops were weary of fighting, and once surrounded morale collapsed and İsmet himself was captured.
Mustafa Kemal, President of the Turkish Republic, after hearing of the loss at ʿAzīziyye and capture of İsmet, realized that the Greek threat to Turkey had grown considerably. Commander Mustafa Fevzi had taken charge of the remaining Turkish troops from the Battle of ʿAzīziyye and continued the army on a retreat across the Sakarya River. Kemal met with Fevzi, and it was agreed that it would be needed for the Greeks to be expelled back across the Maeander River if Turkey wanted to survive.
While Kemal was worried about Greece, other groups were also moving their forces. France, which had evacuated the resource rich Western Black Sea coast just a month earlier in June 1921, re-occupied the town of Zonguldak. Zonguldak and the surrounding area were rich in coal, and by re-occupying the area France prevented the fledgling Turkish Republic from gaining access to these valuable resources.
[1] This is the pod. In OTL Greece decided to stop and think, letting İsmet’s troops got away.

I've followed your previous TL and it was good (except your vision of USRR after Stalin deposit). So i expect great things this time too ;)

Great start to thread 2.0, you have clearly improved as a writer and I look forward to future updates. However, I would like to see longer updates, even if they come farther apart.

I've followed your previous TL and it was good (except your vision of USRR after Stalin deposit). So i expect great things this time too ;)

Yeah, I wasn't satisfied with my portrayal of Russia in the last one

Great start to thread 2.0, you have clearly improved as a writer and I look forward to future updates. However, I would like to see longer updates, even if they come farther apart.

Updates will definitely be longer apart, even if it's just because I have a lot more school work this year.

Additionally, if anyone has any ideas they wanted to see in the last one that wound up not happening, let me know and I'll see if they will fit this time around.

1. Subbed, again.
2. Happy to see this back.
3. Only thing I really have to say is the only thing I was disappointed about was that Pontus remained Turkish. Can't have a Greco-wank without Greece regaining Pontus, or at least the area that was once the 'Empire' of Trebizond.:p I know that this probably isn't possible in this without massive amounts of handwavium and wanking, but I just always wanted to see it.:)

Additionally, if anyone has any ideas they wanted to see in the last one that wound up not happening, let me know and I'll see if they will fit this time around.

the Rhoman reconquest of Italy, Anatholia, the Levant and egypt.

anyway good to see this again, subbed.

I hope that you will cover the separate development of film and broadcasting industries in ATL Greece in your rebooted scenario.

1. Subbed, again.
2. Happy to see this back.
3. Only thing I really have to say is the only thing I was disappointed about was that Pontus remained Turkish. Can't have a Greco-wank without Greece regaining Pontus, or at least the area that was once the 'Empire' of Trebizond.:p I know that this probably isn't possible in this without massive amounts of handwavium and wanking, but I just always wanted to see it.:)

I don't think I'll be able to get Pontus to Greece, but part of it could go to an independent, not communist Armenia.

the Rhoman reconquest of Italy, Anatholia, the Levant and egypt.

anyway good to see this again, subbed.

Anatolia is the only part I can promise, but Greece will probably have good relations with all of those.

I hope that you will cover the separate development of film and broadcasting industries in ATL Greece in your rebooted scenario.

I'll try to do that, but I don't know too much about it, to be honest.

Arab nationalism being successful? A united European nation? Non-communist rich China?

I'll see about those, I haven't thought about post WWII yet.

Not convinced about the fall of Crete in the original timeline TBH.

This time around WWII will be different.

Byzantine Empire or Repbuilc

That is Most Impotant to me.

I hope If it a Repbuilc that that call ýpatos (Consul)

Ypatos Athanasios Nicoli of Gerousia.

I never saw Tl of Byzatine repbuilc

abc123

Banned
What's the official name of Greek State? Byzantine Empire? Roman Empire? Eastern Roman Empire?

I would propose Greek Empire.;)

What's the official name of Greek State? Byzantine Empire? Roman Empire? Eastern Roman Empire?

Wouldn'tthat be a flat out insult to the Rhomans trough?

Byzantium is a ahistorical term, it would be like calling France Gaul.
The Empire of the Rhomans or the Rhoman empire would make more sense.
Eastern Roman empire also wouldn't work since there is no western empire.

abc123

Banned
Wouldn'tthat be a flat out insult to the Rhomans trough?

Byzantium is a ahistorical term, it would be like calling France Gaul.
The Empire of the Rhomans or the Rhoman empire would make more sense.
Eastern Roman empire also wouldn't work since there is no western empire.

Byzantium is historian's name. The real name of that state was Roman Empire/Empire of the Rhomans.;) Basileia Rhōmaiōn

I would say that the English name would be the Roman Empire in the East, with Byzantium being a popular nickname for it, sort of like how we call the UK Britain.

That is Most Impotant to me.

I hope If it a Repbuilc that that call ýpatos (Consul)

Ypatos Athanasios Nicoli of Gerousia.

I never saw Tl of Byzatine repbuilc

So I'm in the process of working out interwar politics, but republicanism isn't out of the question.

The Official Name will be The Empire of Greece (Αυτοκρατορία τῆς Ἑλλάδος) because they'll essentially be taking the former name (The Kingdom of Greece) and changing it to empire, as by this point Greeks no longer considered themselves Roman. In other languages they'll either call them Byzantium or the Empire of Greece/Greek Empire

Also I really want to see this TL put more focus on Latin America and Africa.

I will definitely work on being less Greek centric in all my updates

Status
Not open for further replies.