Nukes used on colonial rebellion

nuclear weapons were used on colonial rebels or rebel held city's .would it stop the rebellion or give it more support.

colonial powers have used chemical weapons on colonial rebels before.

Yuelang

Banned
like US decides to back French and nuke the shit of Vietnam? :eek: Like what the French want?

what an instant recipe to lost all credibilities toward third world ex-colonial nations, who will flock toward the Soviet bosom in exchange of protection...

You gain one battered, demoralized, and utterly broken colony but lost many potential allies.

I reckon that would require no prior use by the Americans in WW2. Otherwise they are seen as far too horrific a weapon, without prior usage you get the situation whereby The US is eager to use it's 'new' toy and the political higher ups who would have to acquiesce to its use are unaware (at least to some extent) of its true scale.

I can understand how the Japanese might have surrendered before the Atomic attacks, due to perhaps an earlier Soviet DoW, but I just don't think a US that didn't nuke Japan could get through Korea without pulling the trigger.

Maybe an earlier Soviet assault butterflies away Korea, due to the whole peninsular being Communist occupied. This increases the fear of communism within the US and hardens resolve to support the French in Indochina perhaps with nuclear arms.

That sounds juuuuuuust about plausible, if love someone with more expertise here to flesh that out a bit.

There not be much idea nuke colonial cities. Colonial powers should then re-build these. And it probably would make independence fighters just more furious and probably even pro-soviets. And these wars were very much guerilla wars without frontiers so it would be pretty useless use nukes.

There not be much idea nuke colonial cities. Colonial powers should then re-build these. And it probably would make independence fighters just more furious and probably even pro-soviets. And these wars were very much guerilla wars without frontiers so it would be pretty useless use nukes.

Ja. In gross generality, the colonial wars didn't have any viable TARGETS for a nuke.

nuclear weapons were used on colonial rebels or rebel held city's .would it stop the rebellion or give it more support.

My opinion is that without the nuking of Japan to end WW2, it is very possible the Nuke gets first used in a smaller war (Korea, or against a colony) and this very horrible can of worms gets opened. It probably stops a great deal of decolonialization, though not all of it as Great Britain already lost a great deal of colonies before they got the bomb.

The Only nation who wandet to use tactical nuclear weapon on there Colony was french four republic !
they wanted to hit Vietnamese forces who siege Dien Bien Phu were a french forces Base was located
Lucky, the french had no nuclear weapons and USA refuse to provide that.
but this and Suez crisis let to French nuclear weapon program

count testing of nuclear weapon in colony also ?
see frist french nuke were tested in colony Algeria during there struggle for independents...

I reckon that would require no prior use by the Americans in WW2. Otherwise they are seen as far too horrific a weapon, without prior usage you get the situation whereby The US is eager to use it's 'new' toy and the political higher ups who would have to acquiesce to its use are unaware (at least to some extent) of its true scale.

They used chemical weapons on rebels in otl so a nuke is not to far off

In a timeline without WW-I and WW-II?
Nothing nuclear weapons,but for sure chemical weapons yes.
Without the world wars horrors (especially nazist),rebels would be massacred.

Another problem with nukes is that the fallout doesn't discriminate and can affect your own troops and colonists; and the goal of a colonial power is generally to keep a colony as profiable as possible - a little hard to do with radioactive terrain.
Of course you need to know such things before actually using a nuke, and if it would be the very first use of a nuke, well...
But I still think that political consequences qould be enormous.

With a post-WW2 POD it's hard because everyone pretty much fell into one camp or the other during the Cold War, plus the aforementioned lack of targets. But not all colonial wars deal solely with guerrillas. The Sino-Japanese War was arguably a colonial war, and both sides employed conventional armies. WW2 never happens, the Sino-Japanese war drags on, and Japan develops a nuke and drops it on a Nationalist army.

I don't think it would be best to use on an active colonial rebellion. Rather it would be best to use them after you've written that colony off and evacuated everything and everyone worth doing so. Then you nuke it to discourage your other colonies from revolting, because the same thing would be in store for them if they won

Of course it would take a lot of butterflies for that kind of evil to show up and get access to nukes and colonies, and not have other factors influencing the decision

I don't think it would be best to use on an active colonial rebellion. Rather it would be best to use them after you've written that colony off and evacuated everything and everyone worth doing so. Then you nuke it to discourage your other colonies from revolting, because the same thing would be in store for them if they won

Of course it would take a lot of butterflies for that kind of evil to show up and get access to nukes and colonies, and not have other factors influencing the decision

What about a Nazi victory TL? I could easily see the Nazis force feeding a rebellious colony a few cans of instant sunshine.

What about a Nazi victory TL? I could easily see the Nazis force feeding a rebellious colony a few cans of instant sunshine.
That requires several extremely implausible things, which is why I did not suggest it

1. The Nazi's actually winning
  2. Them winning in such a manner to have control over overseas colonies
  3. Them surviving long enough after victory to develop nukes
  4. Them holding on to multiple colonies long enough to develop nukes
  5. One of those colonies being able to force them to pull out
  6. Whoever being in charge being willing to accept the international consequences of using nukes

More interestingly, the French Gerboise Verte test was done in haste, in large part because of the Algiers Putsch immediately beforehand. So what happens if the French didn't scuttle the bomb and instead the putschists/OAS get hold of it?

More interestingly, the French Gerboise Verte test was done in haste, in large part because of the Algiers Putsch immediately beforehand. So what happens if the French didn't scuttle the bomb and instead the putschists/OAS get hold of it?

..................................................................................................

Now that would make for an exciting action, adventure film with camel chases across the desert, crashes, explosions, gun fire, Tauregs rising out of the sand to slit throats, etc!!!!!
Not sure if Tauregs lived in Algeria circa 1950???? But you could import a variety of jihadi mercenaries to spice up the plot.
The key point here is desperate "pied moors" retreating towards the Mediteranean.