The Southern Roman Empire

Prefrence

Banned
The Southern Roman Empire
-------------------------------
Chapter I

The court of 5th Century Rome was a dangerous place. Generals and advisors would gain favor and often lose it promptly. Court executions were commonplace. In 425, when the child Valentinian III ascended the purple, generals Aetius and Bonifacius sought to gain favor with the power behind the throne Galla Placidia, Valentinian's mother. Bonifacius was the commander of soldiers in Africa, whereas Aetuis commanded soldiers in Italy, and thus had Placidia's ear. In 429, Aetius suggested that Bonifacius was planning a rebellion, and told Placidia that he should be recalled to Italy. If Bonifacius wouldn't come to Italy, he would surely be planning a rebellion. Aetius then sent a letter to Bonifacius warning that Placidia wished to assassinate him and he should not come to Italy. Bonifcius took this advice and began planning an actual rebellion, Aetius' plan succeeded.

Aetius had intended on Bonifacius creating a local Rebellion that would be easily crushed, but he never foresaw what would happen. Bonifacius realized his local forces were minimal that he would need more soldiers if his rebellion were to have any sucess. He sent a plea to Geiseric, chief of the Vandals for assistance. Bonifacius promised the Vandals land in return for military service. The Vandals eagerly accepted, believing they had finally found a new homeland. 20,000 Vandal Warriors with their Families [1] soon crossed the Straight of Gibraltar into Africa and began marching towards Carthage where they would meet with Bonifacius to clarify terms. At the same time Bonifacius sent a plea for reconciliation to Placidia, however Aetius' supporters intercepted the Letter, and ensured that it never reached Placidia. [2] A few weeks later when word arrived of the Vandals joining with Bonifacius, all chances for peace were over, war had began.

Bonifacius waited weeks for a reply to his plea for peace, but never received it. When the 20,000 strong Vandal force arrived before him, Bonifacius gave up his notion of peace began deploying them for war. Bonifacius realized such a large Vandal force close together, could easily turn on him if things went bad, or if they were bribed and he would be powerless to stop it. Therefore, Bonifacius split up the Vandal force across the his realm. Around 5,000 Vandals [3] were deployed in Western Mauretania where they prepared to seize Hispanian Africa. About 2,000 Vandals [3] were based from Lepis Magna to halt, or at least slow down an attack from the Eastern Roman Empire. Another 3,000 Vandals [3] were deployed in city garrisons across the lengthy shores of Africa [4]. The remaining 10,000 Vandals [3] were kept near Carthage under Geiseric to provide a central garrison which could be deployed wherever needed. Bonifacius planned to fight a defensive war, and use the Mediterranean Sea, and the Vandalic fleet [5] as a large barrier protecting his lands.

Aetius was given command of crushing the rebellion by Placidia. Hoping to weaken Bonifacius' support, Aetius had Valentinian III declare him an outlaw. This declaration did very little to change Africans support of Bonifacius. Aetius then attempted to bribe the Vandals, but this offer was immediately turned down by Geiseric, who was firmly loyal to Bonifacius for giving his people the land they so desperately wanted. Out of options, Aetius began raising an army. However, Aetius ran into problems from the start. Local Roman forces were minimal and dispersed, meaning the only available soldiers were the Mercenary Visigoths. The King of the Visigoths, Theoderic, was a feoderati of the Romans meaning he had to provide Soldiers on request. However, the ambitious Theoderic saw an opportunity in this crisis, and demanded the Province of Nabronense in Southern Gaul as the price for his support. Aetius not wanting to lose the vital grain supply in Africa without a fight, accepted this demand. 15,000 Visigoths under their King marched to Ravenna to join up with Aetius other forces of locals and mercenaries numbering 10,000. When the Visigoths arrived Winter had set in, and the Western Roman fleet wasn't prepared to sail in the harsh winter weather. As the Western Romans and Visigoths waited for Spring, Bonifacius, who retained his title "Master of Soldiers" prepared his forces for the upcoming invasion.
[4]-Referring to the Diocese of.
[5]-The Vandals had created rather quickly a large fleet and maritime tradition while in Southern Spain, this had allowed them to cross the Straight of Gibraltar with relative ease en mass

Last edited:

Prefrence

Banned
Chapter I Map

1-Hiberian Kingdoms
2-Frisians
3-Burgundy
4-Alemanni
5-Laguantan's
6-Angles

Last edited:
man, i have been harping for ages for someone to make a roman empire that survives in africa after retaking it from the vandals.

keep up the good work, i'll be watching this intently

Prefrence

Banned
man, i have been harping for ages for someone to make a roman empire that survives in africa after retaking it from the vandals.

keep up the good work, i'll be watching this intently

Well in this case the Romans dont turn back the Vandals from Africa after they had arrived, so the Vandals become assimilated and fight for the Romans (In this case the Rebels under Bonifacius) instead of Our Time line where they conquered Africa from the Romans.

Prefrence

Banned
So, towards a Western Med Roman Empire? Carthage will become the "Third Rome"? :cool:

wouldn't be ironic for the city which was Rome's greatest enemy would become the next rome :p

Im not certain on this but I think that the Capital would be moved inland (like it was for the Vandal Kingdom) and that might be third rome

Senatus Populusque Africanus? :p

Well does Carthage or any other city had a Senate? or would one need to be made?

wouldn't be ironic for the city which was Rome's greatest enemy would become the next rome :p

Im not certain on this but I think that the Capital would be moved inland (like it was for the Vandal Kingdom) and that might be third rome

Well does Carthage or any other city had a Senate? or would one need to be made?

tunis, perhaps. maybe hippo. carthage is an excellent port city, which gives it an advantage

Carthage was also the main center fro the African Christian and a good cultural center, so it seemed the logical choice.

A more inland capital i guess could be possible only when the Empire will be consolidated...

The idea of an Roman empire surviving in Africa is quite intriguing. Subscribed. I'm very curious how you want to proceed.

Prefrence

Banned
tunis, perhaps. maybe hippo. carthage is an excellent port city, which gives it an advantage

Carthage was also the main center fro the African Christian and a good cultural center, so it seemed the logical choice.

A more inland capital i guess could be possible only when the Empire will be consolidated...

Intially, and likely for awhile, Carthage would be the premier choice for the Capitol of the Southern Roman Empire.

Also If Carthage became the Capitol of another Roman Empire would it become the Sixth Patriarchy?

However do you think it would be moved once communication becomes an Issue?

Here is a map I found of Roman North Africa, IOTL the Vandals moved thier Capital to Bulla Regia, however Theveste seems interesting to me or maybe a new site Southwest of that on the other side of the Atlas Mountains?, could I have some input on that?

romannorthafrica.png

The idea of an Roman empire surviving in Africa is quite intriguing. Subscribed. I'm very curious how you want to proceed.

Thank you for subscribing :cool:

This sounds really good. A refreshing new POD! Subscribed.

Thank you as well :cool:

Theveste seems a bit too much exposed to raids from Desert tribes and too distant from any major water source, Bulla Regia seems actually better (if you don't want to keep it in Carthage)

If not Bulla Regia or Theveste... maybe Constantine? I know it would've been destroyed fairly recently, and despite being rebuilt wasn't quite the city it was, but it has a history of being a capital and a major city in that general area, and was a solidly Christian city.

And I'd imagine that Carthage very well could become the sixth patriarchy. Gives the south a patriarchy after splitting from Rome (and the eastern ones). But if Carthage becomes a patriarchy, then there's going to be more difficulty in moving the capital south to any of the mentioned places.

Oh, and and interesting timeline. Subscribed. ;)

Prefrence

Banned
If not Bulla Regia or Theveste... maybe Constantine? I know it would've been destroyed fairly recently, and despite being rebuilt wasn't quite the city it was, but it has a history of being a capital and a major city in that general area, and was a solidly Christian city.

And I'd imagine that Carthage very well could become the sixth patriarchy. Gives the south a patriarchy after splitting from Rome (and the eastern ones). But if Carthage becomes a patriarchy, then there's going to be more difficulty in moving the capital south to any of the mentioned places.

Oh, and and interesting timeline. Subscribed. ;)

Good reasoning, If Carthage is the center of North African Christianity, and thus the center of Culture, and has other attractive qualities it would likely be the prefered Capital of Southern Rome for the foorseable future.

I only think that Foriegn invasion could force a capital change, what do you think?

If Rome falls to Arian or Pagan Barbarians, the Center of Western Triniatarian Christianity.

Thanks for subscribing

Good reasoning, If Carthage is the center of North African Christianity, and thus the center of Culture, and has other attractive qualities it would likely be the prefered Capital of Southern Rome for the foorseable future.

I only think that Foriegn invasion could force a capital change, what do you think?

If Rome falls to Arian or Pagan Barbarians, the Center of Western Triniatarian Christianity.

Thanks for subscribing

I doubt any invaders could force a capital change. I mean, South Rome's already a lot smaller than the west or east, and if all of its political power is consolidated in Carthage itself, then if Carthage falls, the whole empire would (especially if the conquerors are Roman) just fall to pieces and would be annexed. Any surviving state wouldn't survive long enough to matter what its' capital is really.

Prefrence

Banned
I doubt any invaders could force a capital change. I mean, South Rome's already a lot smaller than the west or east, and if all of its political power is consolidated in Carthage itself, then if Carthage falls, the whole empire would (especially if the conquerors are Roman) just fall to pieces and would be annexed. Any surviving state wouldn't survive long enough to matter what its' capital is really.

What if Carthage is sacked? sort of like Rome?

This looks incredibly awesome, subscribed.

Thank you for subscribing, a new chapter will be out in a few hours.

Prefrence

Banned
Chapter II

When winter departed, Bonifacius made the first move in the Great Southern Rebellion [1], by ordering 5,000 Vandal warriors to occupy Hispanian Africa. By now, there was little Western Roman presence in the area, aside from a minor military outpost and fleet stationed in Septum. As the Vandal horde descended upon the province, most cities gave themselves up without a fight, with the notable exception of Septum, which required a month long siege to take. However, when the city was taken, the Western Roman fleet fell stationed there fell into Bonifacius' hands. The Vandalic fleet supplemented by these new ships, began a blockade of Hispanian ports and the Straight of Gibraltar. However, the Maurentian Campaign as it would be known, would be a mere side theatre to the African Expedition[2].

The African Expedition was the brain child of Aetius, who believed that by concentrating most of the Roman fleet, he could land his Roman and Visigothic forces in Africa [2], and take Carthage, ending the rebellion. In April of 430, the Western Roman fleet transported Roman and Visigothic Soldiers numbering 25,000 total to Sicily, where they would be ferried to Africa[2] after a naval engagement was won. Aetius' plan didn't get off to a good start, when there wasn't enough food to feed all of his soldiers after they arrived in Sicily. With Africa gone, the island of Sardinia became Rome's granary, but there was little extra to support an army. As a result, much of Sicily was pillaged by the troops of Aetius. A revolt broke out in the interior of Sicily, but Aetius decided to let the Rebellion be for the moment, and wait to crush it once Africa had been returned to the rule of Ravenna. In May, the Western Roman Fleet had finished its concentration, and set sail for Carthage.
However, the Vandalic fleet was ready to stop them at all costs. In the straight of the two major islands of Melita[3] on May 6th, 430, both fleets met.

The Battle of Meltia was the largest naval engagement for the Romans since Actium over 400 years ago, with about 220 ships taking place in the Battle. The 140 Western Roman ships were largely taken from the remnants of the Classis Germania and Classis Brittania, as the Rhine and Brittania frontiers respectively had largely been compromised. These more numerous forces however, had a serious draw back, as most ships were designed for river and ocean travel, and not travel on the Mediterranean. The Vandalic-African Fleet of 80 ships, was significantly smaller, but of better quality. The Vandalic fleet of roughly 50 ships had been based in Carthage, and 30 Roman ships of high quality were taken from Lepics Magna, when the key Roman port fell into Bonifacius' hands. The Vandalic-African fleet's ships were also much more maneuverable, and this would give them the advantage in battle. The Vandalic-African fleet also employed 2 or 3 Fireships, which the Western Roman fleet did not have.

The overconfident Aetius, lined up all his ships in the narrow straight and assumed his near 2 to 1 advantage in numbers would simply steamroll the Vandalic-African fleet[4]. Bonifacius, left the command of the fleet to Geiseric, who arranged his Vandalic ships in a loose formation, and sent 30 African ships to circle Meltia and attack from the rear. Geiseric sent the fireships forward, and the tightly packed Western Roman fleet was devastated in flames, which spread from one ship to another. Aetius ordered the unscathed part of the fleet forward, but it was a disorganized advance and was picked apart by the Vandalic ships. When Aetius spotted the incoming African vessels, he ordered a retreat. In all, around 100 Western Roman ships sunk for little Vandalic-African loss. Aetius returned to a now devastated Sicily. Aetius feared that the Vandalic-African navy would cut him off in Sicily with low supplies and a hostile populace. As a result, the Visigoth and Western Roman Army was ferried to Calibria, where Aetius would plan their next move. Bonifacius was winning, but he wasn't sure his luck would hold.
[4]-Roughly half of the fleet was on either side of the tiny isle in the middle of the straight.

Last edited: