Go Back   Alternate History Discussion Board > Administration > Post Test Messages Here

Old April 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
note2self, no ranting ninjas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebogipfel View Post
Sure, I enjoyed the series back then too. But is the whole thing really
that good that people still discuss it after 20+ years ?
Matter of taste, I know

Not everyone is Frank Herbert or George Orwell. Both of those are freaking all-caps awesome. When I said what I said about the cereal preferences, I neglected to mention that I like Weetabix and corn flakes with chocolate syrup. (Okay, so it's kind of disgusting on paper, but, before sunrise, it makes sense.) There's Baron Harkonnen chuckling in the background while fondling an overpriced globe, there's "some animals are more equal than others," and then there's a bunch of plantation pimps strutting around with campy accents plotting the destruction of the world. And yes, I smiled when I typed that last part...

Shucks, obviously I find it compelling. (See fan-fic!
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:31 PM

Stone Dogs excerpt one
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Stone Dogs excerpt one, Scanned by Highroller.pdf (727.1 KB, 1023 views)
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM

Stone Dogs excerpt two
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Stone Dogs excerpt two, ABOARD AIRSHIP DOULOS.pdf (715.3 KB, 786 views)
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Stone Dogs excerpt three
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Stone Dogs excerpt three, NOVA VIRCONIUM.pdf (734.4 KB, 942 views)
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM
InnerParty princess of Oceania

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelcitizen View Post
"And then what did that prick say?"

"Shut up. I will tell you. I will tell you. But first you need to listen!"

The rest of the conversation I tuned out.

Being the person responsible for security surveillance at a fallout shelter for over thirty thousand people (thirty thousand capacity, no one talked about actual headcount) was not unimportant. Vicious little disputes could get egged into a beyond-bitchy riot if ignored.

The plus --one of the pluses-- about security surveillance is that a good number of people are needed and even more are used to watch video feeds from around the shelter. Redundancy was a practice strongly encouraged, both for effective thoroughness --more than one monitoring station for one camera and having the monitoring stations in separate locations meant something would more likely be spotted if there was soemthing to be spotted-- and for having something for people to do so that claustrophobia wouldn't take over.

An elaboration I was pretty proud of was having the folks write detailed, form-fitting reports for every fifteen minutes of monitoring, with checklists and questionnaires in addition to open-ended questions for them to address.

Thank heavens we had a lot of paper. Nonetheless, to further engross them in the minutiae of the process, I insisted on small handwriting as if paper was notably limited in terms of space for hand-writing.

I kept it cool by pretending to pretend not to read them. The truth was that I occasionally skimmed a few reports and relied largely on informal reports of particularly intense gossip.

Had a sneak peek. I hope you don't mind.

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigotwilight View Post
Had a sneak peek. I hope you don't mind.

Not at all!

Kewl.

Remember,

Mitt-Kerry 2012

__
Attached Images

Last edited by modelcitizen; April 18th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Mitt-Munster 2012 isn't as funny as Thande's likening of pic to John Kerry, see?
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:27 PM

semi-fantasy shopping, again,

http://www.amazon.com/Baja-Motorspor...ef=pd_sbs_sg_3

encouraging reviews,

Still a good bike after 4+ years!!!, March 22, 2012
By
aneciap - See all my reviews

This review is from: Baja Motorsports MB200 Mini Bike - 196cc, Yellow, Model# MB200-GY (Misc.)
We've had our Baja Warrior for over 4 years and it still runs/looks great!

First off- It is a bit thicker, wider and heavier than some of the other bikes I've seen so be careful if you have a VERY small child. My Son is nine yrs. old, 110lbs. and has been riding it for abt. a year by himself. I actually like the heavier weight and width because it seems safer for him, but a smaller child might have problems holding it up. Its not like the straight, flat seats on other bikes either, it sits just like a big motorcycle does!

This bike has more power than others do, 195cc, so it is a bit faster. Don't worry though, the top speed is easily adjustable. It can also carry a big load, (over 350lbs as far as we know) with no problems, no "lag" or straining of the motor at all! It also has a bigger gas tank than most so you don't have to refill as often. It has a big front headlight which is always on if the bike is running, (you can't turn it off, but we have never needed to.)

A note abt. the gas cap, you will probably want to buy a new one, (ours never fit just right.) I don't particularly like the outside, plastic engine/heat cover either, (ours fell off sometimes.) It was really no big problem though, my Husband rigged a piece of wire to hold it on. Oh, and for some odd reason, we have to turn the choke off to start and ON to operate. IDK why, it just runs smoother that way and always has! Oh, and the model we have has an automatic transmission and it came completely put together from Tractor Supply. We even bought a "Refurb" for about 40% off the sticker price! So you might want to look into that too.

Other than that, it has a great bike, no rust, no parts needing to be fixed or replaced, the brakes and tires are still original on ours. Just take care of it and it will certainly take care of you!!!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Report abuse| Permalink
Comment Comment (1)

7 of 7 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars killer bike, October 19, 2011
By
vago - See all my reviews

This review is from: Baja Motorsports MB200 Mini Bike - 196cc, Yellow, Model# MB200-GY (Misc.)
I own two. I have a 2009 that I have ridden nearly daily for two years around the ranch, still runs great and starts on first pull, I recently added a comet tav2 torque converter to it, killer power!!!
I also just got a new 2011 from Northen Tool it started fresh out of the box on second pull. Nice bikes, I give'm 10 stars. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

Report abuse| Permalink
Comment Comment

9 of 9 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Baja Motorsports MB200 Mini Bike, June 30, 2011
By
John E Wiley - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
The order through Amazon went fine. When my shipment arrived the pallet container was badly damaged. I
contacted the Baja Co. and they agreed to send me all
of the damaged replacement parts. Today, I started my bike for the first time. I am a satified customer.
John E Wiley Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

Report abuse| Permalink
Comment Comment

11 of 11 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Baja Bike is the Boss!, June 9, 2011
By
C WILLIAM, CPA "CWS, CPA" (Mercer Island, WA, US) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
The Baja Motorsports MB200 Mini Bike is an outstanding bike for family use. It is capped out at 25 mph, but it does go a bit faster. It works for all family members, large or small. It's a beautiful bike for families. It's colorful and looks very nice, which is a bonus for a mini bike. Many mini bikes look like scrap metal welded together. This looks like a nice motorcycle. It's fun to ride and works great! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to have fun! Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

Report abuse| Permalink
Comment Comment

27 of 29 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars best bike, March 17, 2011
By
pool - See all my reviews

the bike doesnt go 25 mph it goes 40-47 mph i recomend this to age 13+. I got a lot of gas powered bikes but this is the best one i hope this helps you. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

Report abuse| Permalink
Comment Comments (2)
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:28 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Razor-MX650-Ro...e_sg_ai_ps_t_6

what if two procured and kind of combined into one
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM

charming, could use 35-50hp,

http://www.esportsonline.com/?sitemi...src=AZ_1302578
Attached Images

Old April 18th, 2012, 05:52 PM

I am happy that the Baja bike product reviewers don't seem to be fabricated by the company executives.

For example, http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview does give low ratings to a couple products, which is reassuring.

Quote:
I fired up my Keurig and while awaiting the brewer to say "Ready to Brew" I let my mind wander, imagining during this brief period the wonderful aroma that would fill the room likely reminding me of my grandmother's gingerbread cookies. I started the brewing process and was quickly swept from my dream of gingerbread cookies and thrust into a nightmare with the air so filled with a horrific smell (similar to muddy dirt) that all of my other senses shut down and I had to fumble around in the darkness to dump out this awful swill. Now, for those not familiar with the term, "muddy dirt" refers to the terrible odor that eminates from a football field and its players after a bout in the rainy Northwest. For those whose senory buds are untainted by this smell, consider yourselves blessed and also consider never brewing a cup of Gingerbread Coffee by Green Mountain. But, let me get back to the taste portion of this review. "Well," I thought, "perhaps the smell is misleading and I've just discovered a unique beverage with a most awful smell but a most delightful taste." When I took my first sip, I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that the coffee tasted worse than its smell and tasted more like what I would expect the water dripping off of the filter at a sewage treatement plant to taste like. I've never tasted said water, nor do I ever expect to; I did taste the gingerbread coffee and, likewise, I do not expect to taste it ever again.

dude owns two of them, http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

Provider of noted bike (which looks cute and is apparently more than just a cheap thing, a lot of product for $650) "Northern" Tool Something Or Other, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie...=AF8EGQ3KRZQB6

Northern Tool and Equipment, lot of good reviews, no I don't work for them, I'm just curious... do they have any other sub-$1k vehicles...?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html...=AF8EGQ3KRZQB6

Get yer "Husqvarna 531309567 Pro Forest Chain Saw Wrap Chaps" why not.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:08 PM

itty bitty lectric scooters, oddly compelling in a low-key way,

http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technol...771187&sr=1-25

beefy version?
http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technol...m_cr_pr_sims_t

la mega scooter, 1000 edition,
http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technol...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

battery, battery, battery,
http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technol...#R9D484TULRUM2
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:26 PM

http://my.shop.ssgecom.com/site/esports/category/100841
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:51 PM

attach pix
Attached Files
File Type: zip texts-from-hillary.zip (384.3 KB, 975 views)
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Busy day. Barry destroyed Death Star, again.

Miss you, doll-face

LOL

blank

An old friend is coming over. Wanna guess who?
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:43 PM

What do you mean, a "ghola?"

Read your Frank Herbert. They revived a clone's "original" memories.

Luke Freaking Skywalker.

One of the Gorillas did it. Almost got killed. Don't Ask.
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Like "Drakka Noir," the cologne?

No, dumass, "Drake-Ah," after the British pirate-admiral.

What are you talking about?

Sending you an attachment.
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariosto View Post

For one, Jay Garner would I believe have remained the head of the Coalition Authority, rather than have been replaced by the Rumsfeld/Cheney-Favored Paul Bremer; just that one change sends butterflies flying.

I presume this means that instead of telling Iraqi security professionals to go home and think about what to do with their free time, the Americans would instead retain at least a degree of internal and border security, allowing for a much better chance of keeping Al Qaeda out and catching Al Qaeda out-of-towners that make it in. Zarqawi gets tortured to death by zealous "New Iraqi Defense Force" operatives, and, we pretend to be shocked, shocked, shocked. Overall, many thousands of lives are saved.

With a turn-key Iraqi security force --bolstered no doubt by extra salary and equipment and lots and lots of training that might even help as much as annoy the intended pupils-- American soldiers do less occupation-related duty.

Maybe McCain's admistration doesn't rely so much on subcontracting stuff out to corporate security firms, keeping out the additional element of mayhem and general feel of ick that I think came with that. (Mercenaries? American-hired? Damn.)

Without al-qaeda to fan some kind of internal mess, more troops can come out of Iraq sooner, and probably end up in Afghanistan to kind of help us declare some kind of victory there, maybe. Maybe butterflies keep Abdul Haq from getting killed in November 2001
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:18 PM

They can have my two-year-old Bit Torrent 7.1 when they pry it from my cold, dead something or others.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bittorrent.zip (404.8 KB, 781 views)
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM

attaching

item

Attached Files
File Type: zip susanbanthony.zip (398.9 KB, 832 views)
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:29 PM

again again again
Attached Files
File Type: zip susanbanthony.zip (398.9 KB, 836 views)