On the plausibility of later Byzantine recovery: Warning, Long!

I've been saying I'd post this argument from Professor John Haldon here for a while, so here it is. The argument can be found in the chapter on Byzantium inside Morris and Scheidel's "The Dynamics of Ancient Empires", published 2009. This isn't my own argument, and I could be convinced otherwise, but I think it's a very interesting contribution to the debate on the plausibility of later Byzantine (I'm defining this as post-Manzikert) survival and flourishing.

The Byzantine Empire was in both practical and (perhaps more importantly still) ideological terms the sole direct continuation of the Graeco-Roman civilisation that had dominated the Mediterranean world since at least the time of Alexander the Great. This inheritance gave the Byzantines a sophisticated economy and political society that, even at its nadir in the early eighth century, was highly resistant to collapse due to external shocks. Even as the world around it collapsed, the Eastern Roman Empire retained a basically monetary based economy and a political system focused on the person of the Emperor, all of which required a literary bureaucratic class. This largely prevented the rise, as elsewhere in the former Roman Empire, of independent-minded local leaders who could and did take authority into their own hands in defiance of the central political body. This internal cohesion stood the Byzantines in good stead when Islamic political unity splintered in the ninth century, allowing the Empire to go on a slow and methodical programme of conquest between the 860s and 1060s that more or less restored it to its traditional position of the Mediterranean world's leading power. Were it not for the run of bad luck suffered by the state between 1065 and 1085 there is no real reason to assume that this slow and sustained expansion would have ground to a halt.

The Romano-Byzantine state generally funded its activities by taxing land, and using the money gained to pay the wages of its soldiers and its elite administrators. This system worked very well, and was flexible enough to allow for the temporary substitution of soldiers' cash-based pay for rations-based pay in the later seventh and eighth centuries: the pay of officials always remained in cash, and the pay of the professional army gradually returned to cash between 750 and 950 too. For as long as the Roman Empire was the only game in town, either because of its own dominance in the period up to 600, or because of its relative isolation from the outside world thereafter, funding the state's activities through the land-tax made plenty of sense.

There were other taxes and tariffs used, largely to reinforce the strength of the central political system by focusing internal Byzantine economic activity upon the city of Constantinople. This was a natural continuation of older Roman practises to keep the capital city well supplied and peaceful, and a whole range of restrictions and regulations existed to make sure Constantinople was similarly well provisioned. This was undoubtedly an irritant to the mercantile classes of the Empire, but they were largely without political power due to the hostility of elite Byzantines towards commerce, a by-product of their classical heritage that emphasised the importance of the humble farmer and surviving off one's own resources.

All of this began to change from the eleventh century onwards. Byzantine political resurgence led to the Empire taking a more active role in the politics of Italy, where it of course had substantial territories of its own, bringing the Empire into active contact with the merchant city states that had once been its vassals but now stood as small powers in their own right. Like Byzantium, these city states were dominated by an aristocratic elite, but unlike their Byzantine counterparts, Italian elites did not have the benefit of vast landed estates to derive their wealth from. In Italy, it was important to have other sources of revenue, the most important of which was in commerce. The value of commerce in eleventh century Italy thus became fused in the mind of local elites with the civic benefit of their city state, and the city states as a whole took active steps to maximise revenue from this quarter. Unhappily for the Byzantines, this development coincided with a period of political instability ushered in by increasingly aggressive attacks by the Normans in the West and Turks in the East. Assistance was needed, and it came (from the Byzantine perspective) very cheaply from the Italian city states, who demanded only the lifting of trade tariffs, an easy concession for the Byzantine government to grant, given the relative unimportance of trade to the Imperial economy.

On the surface, this proved a winning formula. The regime of Aleksios Komnenos was able to stabilise the Byzantine Empire by fusing the interests of its landowning and bureaucratic classes and then go on to at least partially deal with its external enemies, defeating the Normans and stemming the flow of Turkish incursion. This was achieved in large part due to the assistance of the Italian city states, and later another force of "barbarian" helpers in the form of the Crusaders. All of this was perfectly consistent with the long established Roman use of foederati: foreign-born soldiers paid to fight the Empire's wars on its behalf.

Despite, however, the undoubted successes of the Komnenid Emperors, the Empire proved unable to fully regain the dominance it had enjoyed prior to the 1070s. Its traditional Cappadocian heartlands never again returned to its control despite energetic Byzantine campaigning, and the system of land taxes was therefore somewhat undermined, with even the wealthy territories in Cilicia and northern Syria that were recovered by John II and Manuel I never really being securely integrated into the tax-paying system of the Empire. In an attempt to make good this loss, the Komnenid Emperors tried to play the Italian states off against one another to claw back some of the revenues that had been lost in granting trade concessions, but these attempts were generally counterproductive and saw Italian influence continuing to grow, beginning to hollow out the Empire's internal markets. Byzantium's Aegean heart prospered over the twelfth century as trade boomed and Mediterranean economies became increasingly linked, but the Byzantine state saw comparatively little direct benefit from this.

Nonetheless, trade continued to remain marginal at best to the Byzantine worldview, and despite occasional flareups of anti-Western violence in the later twelfth century Emperors continued to grant more and more concessions to the Italian states, whose own preoccupations dealing with one another and the Holy Roman Emperors meant that keeping these concessions was vital to their national security. It was this situation that led to the disaster of the Fourth Crusade, when a combination of Byzantine bad luck, Italian practicality and Crusader intervention spelt the end of the Byzantine state as a serious force in Mediterranean politics.

The Greek successor states that emerged after 1204 kept all of Byzantium's rich cultural inheritance, but had very little of its size and strength: in many ways, they were now competing with the Italian states as equals, not from a position of very slowly eroding but still formidable strength as the Byzantine Empire of the twelfth century had been. In the circumstances, it is hardly surprising that the Greek successor states should have been bested again and again by the Italians, whose success they rarely fully comprehended due to their own ideological worldview. The hollowing out of internal trade within the Greek world left the successor states entirely dependent upon their land taxes for resources, which in the face of Turkish and Serbian attack became ever more difficult to gather. Attempts to deal with the Turks meant even more dependence upon the Italians, to whom the Greek states of the thirteenth and fourteenth century found themselves essentially mortgaged to. Any attempt to throw off the Italian yolk met with violent reprisal which the Greeks were no longer able to seriously resist, and which contributed still further to the ongoing weakness of their states in the face of Turkish expansion. The Greek states were essentially bankrupt debtors, only able to avoid their enemies by calling in yet more support from their thuggish creditors. It was a trap that would have required a huge amount of luck after 1204 to escape from, and even before that things were difficult.

TL: DR. The Byzantine Empire funded itself largely due to taxes on land: transactional/commercial taxes were unimportant due to ideological beliefs inherited from classical antiquity. After 1070, with Byzantine lands coming under serious threat at the same time as the Italian states were leading the way in the marketisation of the Mediterranean economy, this system was challenged and eventually overturned, with the Byzantines unable to properly come to terms with it. After 1204, with the Empire's strength torn apart, escape from economic reality became almost impossible without a complete ideological revolution which never came.

Deleted member 67076

Fascinating article.

Hmmm... now how plausible would you say is it for the later empire to shift into a more commerce oriented mindset?

I recall Alexios Apokaukos wanted to turn the country into an eastern version of the Italian merchant states for one, paying out of pocket for the re-establishment of the navy and funding commercial ventures for example.

That's not so long and very informative ;) I think it should be stickied somewhere, as it's most vital thing about (late) ERE I've read.

Glad you guys enjoyed!

Hmmm... now how plausible would you say is it for the later empire to shift into a more commerce oriented mindset?

Not ASB, but pretty difficult to do nonetheless. You need to break the power of both the landowning and bureaucratic classes and have them both thoroughly subordinated to the Mesoi, the "middle class" internal Byzantine merchants. You also need to seriously damage the reverence for which the Byzantines held their classical heritage, which was a major driving factor in their relative disinterest in, and distaste for, "capitalist" ideas.

Deleted member 67076

Glad you guys enjoyed!

Not ASB, but pretty difficult to do nonetheless. You need to break the power of both the landowning and bureaucratic classes and have them both thoroughly subordinated to the Mesoi, the "middle class" internal Byzantine merchants. You also need to seriously damage the reverence for which the Byzantines held their classical heritage, which was a major driving factor in their relative disinterest in, and distaste for, "capitalist" ideas.

So, Regency victory in the Second Palaiologoi civil war?

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Thank you for the highly informative post. Something all writers dealing with the East Roman state should read.

Yes that article is pretty accurate. It is certainly in line with what I learned. A couple of things. In theory these things can change fast. Japan is a good example where men of commerce went from being despised to powerful in under two generations.

How I see the most likely path is the following:
Assume a No 1204 POD and the Byzantine state survives intact. The Decline of the Byzantine State compared to rising Italy continues but at a very slow pace. For instance without Crete etc. which Venice gets from destruction of Byzantine power, Venice never becomes a great power it becomes in OTL. Fortunately none of Byzantines opponents besides the Italians have well developed commerce.

What I see changing the worldview of the Byzantines is not Italian Commercial Success, but the Italian Renaissance. I can see this artistic and philosposhical movement having its own Byzantine echo. I can even imagine Italian artists and engineers beig commissioned by the Greek State. I think the Renaissance's non-hostility to commerce would have finally penatrated Byzantium (assuming that the state was still a viable power in line with pre-1204.)

The ultimate fate of Byzantium is not as a commercial power (although if it could make that transformation it would bring benefits). Instead I see Byzantium like an OTL 'Gunpowder Empire' expanding against a 'Crumbling Frontier' of less advanced Balkan and Muslim States. Russia and the Ottomons are considered the classic 'Gunpowder Empires'.

In other words I see a surviving Byzantium post-Renaissance as a very Religious Greek/Neopolitian Flavored Russia. Not an Orthodox Italy.

An interesting read, thanks.
You need to break the power of both the landowning and bureaucratic classes and have them both thoroughly subordinated to the Mesoi, the "middle class" internal Byzantine merchants.

Could one of the late Emperors be motivated to broadly centralize the Byzantine state and defang the land-owning nobility, while having to rely on the support of the merchant class, and how?

An interesting read, thanks.

Could one of the late Emperors be motivated to broadly centralize the Byzantine state and defang the land-owning nobility, while having to rely on the support of the merchant class, and how?

I cannot see this happening in the mideval period. Although I guess you can have a WI the Hippodrome Factions Revived and had political power? TTL. I believe either the Blues or Greens had signifigant middle class support.

The most likely example is if Byzantium survived the Middle Ages and the Renaissance as a power. I can then see a Byzantine Sun King or other enlightened despot playing the role of centralizer and defender of the middle classes.

For their to be a strong middle class there needs to be (baring the silk and dye industry taking off) a strong Byzantine Navy (which creates a lot of skilled jobs) or gunpowder and cannon replaces cavarly and fortresses as the measure of military might.

Dirk

Banned
The Byzantine Empire was in both practical and (perhaps more importantly still) ideological terms the sole direct continuation of the Graeco-Roman civilisation that had dominated the Mediterranean world since at least the time of Alexander the Great.

The Catholic Church wants a word. Otherwise, great article and fascinating read.

Very enlightening post. Thanks for that.
I appreciate historians who look at things in a synergistic way. Perhaps influenced by the French Annales school.

Blue Ocean it: have a canny emperor fund some maverick navigator to seek a trade route with the Orient by going westwards...

Or more realistically, have them do something in Egypt and the Levant to support trade routes that way.

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
How about if the crusades accomplished their original purpose and the land they conquered goes back to the empire. If the empire can get the Levant down to Sinai then it will have a reason to support a stronger navy and merchant class, having a straight shot to India and Africa through the Red Sea.

How about if the crusades accomplished their original purpose and the land they conquered goes back to the empire

That's not going to happen, safe a major OOCitose for all people involved. Critically once imperial support disappeared (Alexios wasn't too interested on letting Crusader warring their way towards Jerusalem and attacking Fatimids, its allies), they wanted to keep the land for themselves. Even the most "byzantophile" leaders, as Raimond of Saint-Gilles (interestingly, the only one that refused to make oath to Alexios, out of respect to not lie to him and break previous engagements), that stand in Palestine after the Crusades did such for forging new demesnes.

I'd point out it was their main goal all along, without any "original purpose".

Great article about a favorite period of history. I'm not an expert, so I will just say this:

I took the Byzantines to conquer the Ottomans in EUIII, so why not in an ATL? :p

Redhand

Banned
Great article about a favorite period of history. I'm not an expert, so I will just say this:

I took the Byzantines to conquer the Ottomans in EUIII, so why not in an ATL? :p

Seeing a I was able to get world domination with England by 1785, EU3 may not be able to adequately represent history.

I think the Byzantines can be a lasting Meiterranean power until 1204 and may even be able to regain Egypt and the Levant albeit tenuously until Manzikert. It would be interesting to see if an emperor with an eye towards history tries to reestablish heavy infantry legions made up of ethnically loyal citizens to provide a military base to work around. If you use this augmented with the impressive Varangian and Cuman mercenaries, I can see the Byzantine military being able to wage wars of expansion against their politically fractured Arab enemies with more consistent success.