More minorities in SF/SOF- AH challenge

Many contemporary military writers and observers argue that the US Special Forces and Special Operations Forces community has traditionally been, and is still, overwhelmingly white in composition, with only a token few members of minority groups represented- such as, among others, African-Americans Brig-Gen Remo Butler, SF, formerly commander of SOF in SOUTHCOM, and Maj Antonio Fletcher, co-ordinator of the Green Beret Q-course at Fort Bragg, together with Japanese-American Maj Wade Ishimoto, a founding member of Delta Force and the unit's intel officer during Op EAGLE CLAW. Then again, there have apparently been relatively high nos. of native Americans who've volunteered for Delta, and a large proportion of Hispanics in the combat arms, including the SOF outfits.

What PODs would be required for there to be more minority armed forces members, esp blacks, in the US armed forces' elite SF/SOF outfits such as the Green Berets, Rangers, Delta, Navy SEALs and AFSOC ? I delved into this question when I was a member of the BHD.COM forum. There are some factors such as the lack of large nos. of sufficiently qualified members from minority groups, and that many blacks esp are poor swimmers, thereby reducing their eligibility for successful acceptance into specops. How could such inhibiting factors on minority membership of SF/SOF be remedied in AH terms ?

Melvin Loh said:
What PODs would be required for there to be more minority armed forces members, esp blacks, in the US armed forces' elite SF/SOF outfits such as the Green Berets, Rangers, Delta, Navy SEALs and AFSOC ? I delved into this question when I was a member of the BHD.COM forum. There are some factors such as the lack of large nos. of sufficiently qualified members from minority groups, and that many blacks esp are poor swimmers, thereby reducing their eligibility for successful acceptance into specops. How could such inhibiting factors on minority membership of SF/SOF be remedied in AH terms ?

You'd have to eliminate the segregation of the Armed Forces earlier, probably before the Civil War. However, this isn't going to fly with southerners and we'll either: A) have an earlier Civil War, which the South will win, meaning there will be not many blacks in the north and those that are will be treated worse than dirt, or B) slavery will have to end earlier, perhaps at the end of the Revolution. In any case, there butterflies are so many butterflies from either scenario that there may not even be an SF in 2004.

Raymann

Banned
its just a bad tradition. Look at sports teams, we know its not an issue of ability or else blacks would dominate that. Its not intelligence either because special forces train their people well.