Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fatherland: Robert Harris

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • OTHER

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters

Diamond

Banned
OK, this list is by no means all-inclusive; I just tried to give a fairly broad sampling. If your favorite isn't on the poll - what is it?

Theres a book called Cuba by Stephan Coonts, and it is about what happens in modern day Cuba if Fidel dies and the U.S. starts covert striking cuban missile sites?

Proteus, by Hogan

It's a many worlds alternate history. A guy from an ATL winds up on another ATL attempting to investigate a strange facility. The future bad guys are bringing in advanced technology to Hitler and the Germans are winning. He goes back to OTL in the thirties to stop Hitler in OTL.

Has anyone read 1901? The funny thing is I just heard about that book earlier on amazon(it was a recomendation). Is it any good? It sounds like a good book, but the reviews were terrible. Also, when was it published? I'm wondering if I can find a used copy somewhere

Of the listed options, I like Fatherland and Guns of the South the best, although GOTS is really more of a time travel novel. Of those not listed, my favs are Man in the High Castle, How Few Remain, and Proteus Operation (also mainly time travel like GOTS). Peshwars Lancers is also pretty interesting. I'm not considering time/dimension shifting stuff like Islands on the Sea of Time, or stuff like the WorldWar books.

One of my favorites.

"The Probability Broach" by L. Neil Smith. Consists of a North American Conferedacy where the Whiskey Rebellion went the other way and a central federal government never really took off. It has been reprinted recently to go along with "The American Zone" which is another book by the same author. Both can be found on Amazon.com and maybe a few other sites.
:cool:

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Nobody likes Pavane?? Maybe they're just not familiar, its an older title. About a world where the Spanish Armada won, well written and researched.

My own vote for Other:
"A collaborative novel from the premier cyberpunk authors, William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Part detective story, part historical thriller, The Difference Engine takes us not forward but back, to an imagined 1885: the Industrial Revolution is in full and inexorable swing, powered by steam-driven, cybernetic engines. Charles Babbage perfects his Analytical Engine, and the computer age arrives a century ahead of its time."

It not perfect, I would have liked to have seen more of Lord Byron as PM and definitely wanted more of Ada Byron, who was by all accounts probably the first "hottie" as well as the first programmer. Many will say its just their normal plot set in 1800's but I say that makes it interesting of itself.