Greatest AlternateHistory Country

Greatest Alternate History Country

• Total voters
Do you define greatest as those doscussed most often, those that are most interesting, or or those that are most reasonable?

Hehe, needless to say I voted for my beloved United Kingdoms of Denmark(-Norway). :)

And why? Hmm, because I'm a dane?! :)

Best regards and all!

- Bluenote.

Honeste vivere, alterum non ladere, suum cuique tribuere!

Other

I voted 'other'- my personal favourite is the Commonwealth of the British Empire, on wich the sun never sets. It is made up of the dominions of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, East Africa, Malaya along with the UK with many other territories. The Commonwealth Capital (where the Commonwealth Parliament meets) is in Delhi although the Sovereign still redides mainly in London.

I like the Holy Republic of Tunis, a mildly-theocratic Christian state compromising North Africa west of Egypt and with political links to most other states in Africa (oh, I'm sorry--Aethiopia).

Not least b/c I'm the President in the TL (a Fujimori-like immigrant from Greater Brittany in the NW).

Duncan Head and I did a small TL on this subject in the "Tunisian Superpower" thread on the old board.

Imperial Germany

I voted "Other" as Imperial Germany after the Great War is my favorite. (I'm sure that people who have seen my posts have already figured that out.) It is, IMHO, entirely plausible for the Central Powers to win or draw, in many possible ways. Depending on the outcome, it can lead in so many directions, some better than OTL, some worse--there's almost infinite variety.
It has the advantage of being close enough to OTL that many things will be similar--no need to invent--and then explain to the reader--whole new cities, cultures, etc., but being far enough downtime to allow that massive variety.
(I also like the High Seas Fleet--too bad the L20 alpha's and the Ersatz Yorks never entered service)
There is also less of a clear cut black and white here than in WWII, so changing the outcome doesn't seem like evil winning out.
Germany can go in any direction from gradual reform to very autocratic, and could be allied or opposed to the USA. I know it's biased some, but I always want to know what the US is up to in any ATL. Imperial German timelines happen at the same time the USA is growing into its full strength--a great complication for any timeline from 1880 on.

I'm not surprised

DuQuense, I'm not at all surprised at the requirement that you vote a certain way. After all, with you rebels continually oppressing a large portion of your population, economic troubles, and the most powerful nation in the world on your Northern border, you've got into the habit of requireing everyone to vote in lockstep, much like our Imperial German allies were a century ago. Thankfully, they are now reasonably democratic. When will you dare to let all of your population vote?

The Oecumene (World Empire) under Alexander III, of course, with its capital in Byzantium (Cosmopolis.) I would wager that a stable Hellenistic world would have taken humanity to the stars by now! :cool:

Last edited:
(bump bump)

Other for me - it is a widely known fact that I like surviving Byzantium scenarios, and I think Byzantine Empire would fit the criteria. Why? A better question would be, why not?! :rolleyes: :D

Always like the idea of a Republic of Texas, though as midgard said surviving Byzantium scenarios are always good

Keenir

Banned
Which country is the Greatest alternate history country and why?

Muslim Byzantium (any divergence)

why: because it has not been ground into the earth by overuse or abuse, because it has so much unused potential, because its the most likely to rule the world (okay, maybe), because...

want more reasons?
:D

Austria-Hungary, or whatever name it ends up with after adopting the federal structure it would need to survive in the age of nationalism, always makes for interesting scenarios.