Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 500-1000 years

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • >1000 years

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Never

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
If you are not born, how soon will the world diverge to the extent of altering things like presidential elections?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
I would like to think that some of my teaching influenced some of the children to do things and strive for things that they otherweise would not have, so in 20-50 years one or more of them may well achieve something that had I not existed they would not...therefore turning it on its head, if I never existed then one could postulate that they would not achieve what achievements could be directly attribued to me... Lol, its complex because first one has to postulate that you HAVE had an impact even if down the line in the future, then reverse this and postulate what may not happen that may happen..

Grey Wolf

Xen

Banned
Well seeing how I would like to eventually get married, and have had some impact on the lives of friends and family (had I never been born, its likely my brother wouldnt have been born either). The change to the world would be small, but it would effect the world.

To the world you might be one person, to one person you might be the world

Well, I plan to enter politics somehow in about 20-30 years from now. So I'd say that the world would be quite different after about a half century.

I chose 10-20 years because, though every action (or non-action) has an effect of some kind, I don't think that anything I did younger than 10 or so would have effects that would make the ATL of my non-birth different from OTL.

Now, in middle school through college, I imagine I've had many opportunities to affect people (relationships with others, that editorial I wrote for UGA's "Red and Black" newspaper, this board, my other writings, etc). Those slightly bigger things could butterfly down the road (my editorial might have convinced enough people to not support John Kerry to seriously affect his chances of election--in the ATL, some ex-Kerry supporters would stay Kerry supporters, campaign for him, etc).

Of course, I will concede that my having such a great influence by writing an op-ed in a college newspaper is likely a pride fantasy, but one never knows. Unknown people have influenced known people throughout history...abusive boyars affected Ivan the Terrible, someone much like "Max" in the titular film could have turned Hitler from anti-Semitism, etc.

History is a complex system. As long as the system is stabile, a single person deosn´t matter at all, so no changes in history if I am not born. But for how long is this system stable? In every century we see at least 2-3 phase4s of instability. In these times butterfliles are much more likly to happen. Than a 5 year period is not unlikely.

The butterfly effect will come early and the world will never be the same!

That could be read in more than one way... :(
_______
If I WANTED your opinion I would read it in your entrails.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
I was going to answer with the same kind of answer that I gave to a previous thread...then discovered that this IS the previous thread, and so I have already answered

Grey Wolf

If I wasnt born I couldt be elected vice-president and then secretly assasinate the President in 2037 by blaming it on terrorist. Going before Congress, red eyed(from consoling the former first lady) I would then ask for "Emergency powers" to hunt down and destroy terrorist and their sympathizers within the US. After that.....

I am the fourth of 11 children spaced roughly 2 years apart, ? Are whe talking a four year space . Or ?did my parents have a Daughter instead or something?

If i wasn't born I wouldn't be able to pull Europe together against the Chinese Threat, defeat the Chinese, annex liberated Russia and set myself up as Lord of Europe... So I chose 20-50 years.

Leej said:
30 years or so, by the time you've been able to go into the real world.

I am totally going to avoid the real world - so I voted for 50-100 years, as I may have accidentally influenced some real people by then...

NapoleonXIV

Banned
When I wake up in 3125 the $100 I invested at compound interest will mean I own the world MWHAHAHAHAHA koff, koff,...hack...wheeze

For all of us, the answer to this question is the answer to the question, "How old were you in November 2000", because on all other dimensions except this one, Al Gore won the election. :D