Challenge: French Louisiana

Have OTL Louisiana Purchase be either a part of France, or an independent nation with a Gallic culture (French at least as dominant as OTL Quebec, for example) in 2004. Start when France gets it from Spain.

Well, for starters, you'd need a larger population, especially of soldiers. I'd say the best way is have the French victorious on Haiti (Louisiana was basically a grainery for Haiti) and then have the French troops who had won on Haiti (I think there were 50,000 of them or so) travel to Louisiana and stay there. Then, when the wars end, the troops will have been living there for 10 - 15 years. They call for their families and what not. Voila, now there's like 300,000 people in Louisiana.

Even at that, the population would be too small to maintain in the northern parts. Either Britain or the US would move across and capture most of it without fighting. So, I see Louisiana having about a 1/3 of a million people in 1825 and owning everything south of the Missouri River. Eventually, when Haiti collapses (it was bound to) you'll have another influx of about 50,000 planters. Immigration will probably be generally slow, maybe with some bursts in 1848 and other revolutions. Say, it would be interesting to see the effects of the king going into exile there...

Xen

Banned
Better yet Walter, Napolean goes there after he loses his campaigns and declares himself the new Emperor of an Independent Louisiana. I can see him selling the northern parts of the territory to the US with his supporters flocking to Louisiana and as you said around the revolutions, France seemed to have enjoyed them in the 1800's.

Due to Louisiana's likely status as an agricultural nation large families are likely especially if Louisiana bans slavery. It will probably start to industrialize a little in the 1850s-1860s and would likely support the South in the Civil War.

What would happen to Texas?

Would we see a Louisiane Texas with Anglo-Americans unable to get there through the Empire of Louisiana?

Would we see a Mexican Texas, with no revolution occuring?

Would we eventually see a British Texas, as a source of cotton in America?

Or, how about a German Texas, bought in the late 1800s (Kaiser Willy II was sniffing around in the Caribbean during this time)?

Faeelin

Banned
Walter_Kaufmann said:
Why? With the influx of French soldiers willing to defend Louisiana, why couldn't it survive?

The British navy? You know, the guys in ships who spent a decade scooping up damn near all colonies?

In fact, most Americans thought that if Haiti looked like it would fall, then the US should grab Louisiana before the 50k men got there. Jefferson wanted to ally with Britain, and he was a francophile.

Faelin:
Could you get a Louisiana that is bilingual and heavily French influenced, but politically part of Canada...kinda like Quebec?

Faeelin

Banned
tom said:
Faelin:
Could you get a Louisiana that is bilingual and heavily French influenced, but politically part of Canada...kinda like Quebec?

Hmm. You could have the British grab it, but that might lead to a war of 1807 in which an economic meltdown leaves Napoleon triumphant.

That's your best bet, I'd think.

If the french got it back in the treaty of paris
we could see the british maby deporting the quebequa.
the sam way they did to creols.