AH Challenge : A More or Less Diverse America in 2000

According to the latest census figures by the year 2050 the US population will increase to 420 million and whites will make up only 50.1 % of the total US population. The other main "minority" groups-African-Americans, Hispanics , Asians and others- will make up the remaining 49.9 % . One would assume that by 2060 the United States will be a minority- majority land. Under what circumstances could the United States have reached the point where minority groups were 50% rather than 25% of the total US population by 2000? What would a highly diverse US have looked like in the late 20th century politically,socially and economically? The converse question of course is what would the US have been like with a smaller minority population - say only 10 -15% of the total by 2000? Would that mean better or worse race relations? Any and all ideas appreciated.

Well, if you want more Hispanics, the US could annex some Mexican population centers in 1848 in addition to the sparsely-populated SW areas. If you want more blacks, the US could accept the President of the Dominican Republic's offer to buy his country in the late 1800s.

To have a greatly reduced black population, just get rid of the trans-Alantic slave trade altogether, or greatly reduce it (perhaps some "great man" arises in West Africa, realizes that the locals' profiting from slavery is incredibly short-sighted, and organizes a pan-African alliance against the Europeans). The only blacks in the US will be those who emigrated from Africa voluntarily (there are a few, incl. my roommate, but not many).

Leo Caesius

Banned
Michael E Johnson said:
According to the latest census figures by the year 2050 the US population will increase to 420 million and whites will make up only 50.1 % of the total US population. The other main "minority" groups-African-Americans, Hispanics , Asians and others- will make up the remaining 49.9 % . One would assume that by 2060 the United States will be a minority- majority land. Under what circumstances could the United States have reached the point where minority groups were 50% rather than 25% of the total US population by 2000? What would a highly diverse US have looked like in the late 20th century politically,socially and economically? The converse question of course is what would the US have been like with a smaller minority population - say only 10 -15% of the total by 2000? Would that mean better or worse race relations? Any and all ideas appreciated.
These figures could very easily be revised - even in OTL - by a slight shift in perception of what constitutes "white" and the groups that you have labeled here "minority."

Where, for example, would people of "mixed" ancestry fall? Arguably, that includes all of us (I for example, decidedly follow my maternal grandmother's family - a lineage replete with names like "George Washington Cook" and his brother "Hartson Pryce Cook" - in physical appearance, but my grandfather was Mediterranean, and my father's mother was Cherokee) - but people like me generally identify as "White - Non-Hispanic". What if our Hispanics (even those with African or Native American ancestry) were considered "White" as they are in the rest of the New World? A friend of mine, Jorge C-, who is descended in part from the crowned heads of Poland, funded his university studies through scholarships that he received partly because he is Hispanic. My Jewish friends thought that was rich. Another friend, A- Ponce de Leon, was considered Hispanic despite coming from a very European Hispanic family (of certain repute). Yet my friend M- Awad, who was born in Egypt, is considered "White - Non-Hispanic" and not African-American, even if he was demonstrably born in Africa and "darker" in complexion than many "African-Americans."

What if a strong "African-American" identity had never arisen, and light-skinned Blacks identified themselves as Caucasian (an extreme example of this is Leo Felton, the White supremacist from Boston, whose father is Black)? One could wreak havoc with these numbers by asking such questions.

Given the fact that large numbers of "Asian-American" women enter into interracial marriages (significantly larger than any other ethnic group in the US), what does this say about the future integrity of the "Asian American" community in the US? My employer is a Singaporean who is married to an American of French descent. Her son resembles his father. She now lives in a neighborhood in San Diego where every couple on her block is interracial, and consequently so are her son's playmates (this, IMHO, is a great thing).

As for Hispanics, they are largely defined by their native language, but what happens in two or three generations? Not all Hispanics will continue to speak Spanish - sure, many may, but only in areas where Hispanics are heavily concentrated. As Hispanics move out of these areas, and become integrated into new societies, the loss of Spanish as their primary language is inevitable. As a parallel example, in 1753 Ben Franklin wrote to a friend that he feared it would be necessary to have German interpreters in the Assembly, and that "unless the stream of importation could be turned from this to other colonies, they will soon outnumber us, that all the advantages we have, will in my opinion, be not able to preserve out language and even our government will become precarious".

To me, all of this handwringing about Hispanics overrunning America, English dying out, and the "white race" becoming marginalized, strikes me as groundless and unfortunate as Franklin's fears about the Germans. As a "White" of dubious racial purity, I suppose it is less disturbing to me than it would be to the White Power set.

For a more diverse America, in addition to the ideas above, WI the US also somehow acquired Cuba and Haiti, and also possibly in a less racist TL encouraged the migration of ppl from Liberia, so that there's a much larger black population ?

Given your Statisics begining this and the fact that if you see someone walking down the street, You think White, Black, Asian, not Hispanic. What % of the hispanics go with the three dividsions, then tell me what the %ages of each really is.

To change the diversity in this country you simply play with the historic immigration laws. Fiddle enuff and you can have any combonation you want.

Given that the Birth rate for 3rd--generation americans is 1.8 and the only thing keeping the US above the negitive rates of the rest of the western world is the Immirgration/1st/2nd generation birthrates, I have no trouble with the Minorities. My beef is with the P*** Poor educational system, and that like the Romans, whe have lost the will to Force socialiazation into the cultural norms.

---well I'm 50% hispanic and I identify more with whites because they're closer in culture----

American blacks and Hispanics have a few things in common. The most obvious being that both groups are descended from a violent encounter between white Europeans and less technologically advanced peoples. Both groups really are the children of America but because of the prevalent skin color racism here Hispanics have been and will be allowed into the American melting pot before African-Americans ie- If you're white you're alright,if you brown stick around but if your black get back.The amount of intermarriage between hispanics and whites vs blacks and whites is a perfect example of this. The question is by 2050 will most Hispanics remain a distinct ethnic group ( even though they can be of any "race") like African-Americans or will they become a honorary white ethnic group?

Race relations in Australia

It'd be interesting to compare the US views on race and identity with that in Australia. IMO, and from personal experience, I believe that Aust is a relatively tolerant country in terms of race, with the vast majority of white Australians prepared to accept nonwhites as equals and mates in all spheres of life, although there is to a certain extent still some institutionalised racism in both prominent ways, such as the debates over 'illegal' asylum seekers from the Middle East, and the validity of native title and Aboriginal self-determination, and more subtly, such as the still common underlying perception among white Australians that ppl from Asian or Mideast backgrounds are foreigners.

Lot's of us are half-hispanic, including me.

More Diverse - 1) no 1900 restriction on asian immigration to the west coast 2) Greater early involvement in the Caribbean, 3) More deaths in the civil war, 4) morepeaceful assimilation of Native groups.

Less Diverse- 1) higher modern birth rate among european americans, 2) no entry into WWII, 3) Increased Immigration from Europe (Germany, England, etc.), 4) No entry in WWI, 5) Forced Emmigration of Blacks after ACW to Africa, 6) Peaceful solution to ACW

Straha said:
well I *CAN* pass for being italian so I think I'm safe from racism...

Living in a society where one could or even would "pass" as a member of the majority racial group is in its own way the ultimate expression of racism.