Modern Byzantium - the Flags

The alternate US threads have caused me to dredge up the flags I was planning to use for an AH I was working on with a surviving Roman Empire, POD Manzikert. Here is the flag:

Attachments

• Byz Flag.bmp
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,555

Xen

Banned
Cool flags, but they seemed to have changed from what they were in OTL. Of course flags have a tendency to do this, perhaps the Byzantine Empire becomes a Republic and changes its flag as a result?

gr_byz14.gif

Xen said:
Cool flags, but they seemed to have changed from what they were in OTL. Of course flags have a tendency to do this, perhaps the Byzantine Empire becomes a Republic and changes its flag as a result?

There's only one source for that flag, "El Libro del conoscimiento de todos los Reynos" an apocryphal anonymous travel book. Apparently, the flag usually looked like this:

Attachments

• Old.bmp
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,392
Very much liking the Paleologos arms and banners, I have Theodora the Great marrying Michael Paleologos, so his arms are adopted just as flags are starting to come into use. In any case, the double-headed eagle is a poweful symbol for an empire centered at Constantinople, better than a boring ole' crouped cross.

Xen

Banned
Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
Very much liking the Paleologos arms and banners, I have Theodora the Great marrying Michael Paleologos, so his arms are adopted just as flags are starting to come into use. In any case, the double-headed eagle is a poweful symbol for an empire centered at Constantinople, better than a boring ole' crouped cross.

Theodora the Great, I thought she died about 20 years before her husband did, its believed she had breast cancer. Maybe if he is killed in battle, Theodora rules as the Empress and the marries Michael. Or am I thinking of the wrong Theodora

Xen said:
Theodora the Great, I thought she died about 20 years before her husband did, its believed she had breast cancer. Maybe if he is killed in battle, Theodora rules as the Empress and the marries Michael. Or am I thinking of the wrong Theodora

Oh, sorry, I should have spelled out that I meant a fictional, non-historical Theodora from the 13th c.

With regard to the flag thing, the site you referenced got their flag from the source I referenced.