WW3 in Star Trek or killing 2 birds with 1 stone

Below I'm posting a message I found on the Trekbbs.com site that poists both the reason for WW3 and the seeming lack of/negative attitude towards religion by humans in Trekverse. Makes sense, but the war could have been over other issues as well.-MEJ

EarthForceOne
Fleet Captain

Reged: 01/05/15
Loc: Chicago IL Might WWIII have been a religious war?
#2274064 - 04/01/19 09:12 PM Edit Reply Quote

I'm starting to think that one of the reasons that there is no religion on Earth is that WWIII might have been a religious war. Possibly the two factions were the USA/European Hegemony vs the Eastern Coalition. Fundamentalist chrisitians might have finally seized power in the west and nuclear armed Muslim Fundamentalists ban to gether to form the Eastern Coalition.

The horrors of a religiouly based nuclear holocaust might be just what it takes to put an end to religious belief on Earth. It seems like a plausible view of the 24th C attitude toward religion.

--------------------
you know why they hunt us..because we've left the Federation. No one leaves the federation..you're like the Borg only more incidious.
(Lt Cmdr Eddington)

NapoleonXIV

Banned
I'm beginning to wonder. WAS there a WWIII in the Trekverse?

ST Original is obviously in an Alternate time line. I never heard of Khan Ngyuen Singh or the Eugenics wars of the 1990s

The implication is also that the Earth depicted in Q's mock trial of the TNG crew in Farpoint is sometime during Earth's benighted period after a major war. Yet this war and this bizarre recovery all take place before Cochrane's discovery of Warp Drive, which is in 2060.

And not one ST except Enterprise has ever mentioned the Xindi war.

I think it obvious, there wasn't any of these things. All are relics of the Suliban and have since been corrected.

Interesting point. I've always wondered about the Third World War in the ST universe.

As for there being two ST universes: I doubt it, unless the writers are secretly rebooting the ST history, like Crisis on Infinite Earths. Hey Napoelon, have you read the Eugenics Wars books? They are a secret history of what happened on Earth during the 90s in the Trek history. I think at the very least it's safe to say that ST is an AH of our universe; just look at the Voyager episode when they traveled to 1996.

---The implication is also that the Earth depicted in Q's mock trial of the TNG crew in Farpoint is sometime during Earth's benighted period after a major war. Yet this war and this bizarre recovery all take place before Cochrane's discovery of Warp Drive, which is in 2060.---

The year given in that scene in Encounter at Farpoint is 2079. First Contact was in 2063 and it was established that WW3 happened 10 years before -so circa 2053. The real reason for this disparity was that Encounter at Farpoint was written 9 years before FC and Star Trek writers seem to have a habit of causing discrepancies like this that only we fans seem to notice.Realistically the progress that happened on Earth after WW3 didnt happen overnight so presumably there would still be pockets of misery on Earth 20 or more years afterwards-like that 1 depicted in Encounter at Farpoint.

Personally I thought that the novel Federation did alot better with WW3 than First Contact -but alas in Trek novels are always superseded by whats shown on screen. That's is why I'm hoping that Enterprise will touch on the Eugenics Wars after Voyager failed to do so when they actually went back to 1996 :confused:

---have you read the Eugenics Wars books? They are a secret history of what happened on Earth during the 90s in the Trek history. I think at the very least it's safe to say that ST is an AH of our universe---

I love those books but honestly was disappointed by the main plot-essentially X-Files meets Star Trek.The Eugenics Wars are presented in previous Star Trek canon as being a worldwide and public event from 1992-1996.This would likely mean a more technolgically advanced Earth and a pod from OTL at least as far back as WWII.I have another thread on here about this subject asking for TL about the "real" Eugenics Wars -feel free to contribute.

to quibble with your main assumption here... is it stated anywhere that there is no religion at all on earth? To be sure, it's never mentioned, but I never saw it stated flatly anywhere that all of humanity was aetheist....

"To be sure, it's never mentioned, but I never saw it stated flatly anywhere that all of humanity was aetheist"

It's never openly said, but none of the characters are religious and religion, when portrayed, is always portrayed in a bad light, so....

Back to the main topic...

I think Star Trek's "World War III" was Colonel Green's War. Colonel Green was the military leader of a fascist-type movement called "Optimum" or something that made a bid for global takeover and what became the Federation was basically the anti-Optimum opposition.

I'd always thought Colonel Green was some kind of anti-Federation dissident (perhaps a John Birch type fearful of one-world tyranny), but according to some background, he was NOT a very nice guy

Sorry to bring this back, but are there any specific details about the war? Any new info about the Third World War? I'm a trekkie, but I can't stand the Star TRek books.

David Howery said:
to quibble with your main assumption here... is it stated anywhere that there is no religion at all on earth? To be sure, it's never mentioned, but I never saw it stated flatly anywhere that all of humanity was aetheist....

Very true. And in TOS at least, it is pretty clear that religion does exist. We have the scene in "Who Mourns for Adonais" where Captain Kirk says "We find the one [God] quite sufficient," for example.

Raymann

Banned
Well the last two Enterprise episodes deals with the frozen embryos left over from the Eugenics wars which corresponds with the two "Eugenics Wars" episodes published a few years ago. Although its not cannon, the books described the wars as open and deadly, Archer mentioned that 30 million people died during the wars in which Khan and his followers each took over a few countries (Khan had India) and invaded others.

As for WWIII, Federation is the most complete novel detailing the subject and when it was written, it deal suffice cannon. It also explained how Cochrene got his youth back with the help of his 'Companion'. Until TNG, Federation and the Trek series had explicitly said he was an Alpha Centaurian, a different species from humans differeniated by an extra knuckle somewhere on the hand. Some say that since Cocherne moved to Alpha Centauri later in life, thats why they call him that. TNG and DS9 made it clear though that Alpha Centauri was humanities oldest colony and they were not a differnt species.

Official canon has it that WWIII took place in 2053 for unclear reasons although a modified "Federation" plot would fit. Picard visited Earth in 2063, ten years later in "First Contact" and said that in 50 years (2013), Earth would be a paradise without poverty or war. So the court could have happened like Q protrayed it but Earth would have been on its way to recovery. It was said Alustralia was the last government to join the Earth Government in the warly 22nd century so again, there is enough time for it to happen.

Finally the official novelization of First Contact said that Indonesia was the strongest power left after the war but alluded to the US government still in operation although it was mostly powerless. The US was stable, just very poor from the damage and power was more on a state level then federal.

Raymann said:
Well the last two Enterprise episodes deals with the frozen embryos left over from the Eugenics wars which corresponds with the two "Eugenics Wars" episodes published a few years ago. Although its not cannon, the books described the wars as open and deadly, Archer mentioned that 30 million people died during the wars in which Khan and his followers each took over a few countries (Khan had India) and invaded others.

As for WWIII, Federation is the most complete novel detailing the subject and when it was written, it deal suffice cannon. It also explained how Cochrene got his youth back with the help of his 'Companion'. Until TNG, Federation and the Trek series had explicitly said he was an Alpha Centaurian, a different species from humans differeniated by an extra knuckle somewhere on the hand. Some say that since Cocherne moved to Alpha Centauri later in life, thats why they call him that. TNG and DS9 made it clear though that Alpha Centauri was humanities oldest colony and they were not a differnt species.

Official canon has it that WWIII took place in 2053 for unclear reasons although a modified "Federation" plot would fit. Picard visited Earth in 2063, ten years later in "First Contact" and said that in 50 years (2013), Earth would be a paradise without poverty or war. So the court could have happened like Q protrayed it but Earth would have been on its way to recovery. It was said Alustralia was the last government to join the Earth Government in the warly 22nd century so again, there is enough time for it to happen.

Finally the official novelization of First Contact said that Indonesia was the strongest power left after the war but alluded to the US government still in operation although it was mostly powerless. The US was stable, just very poor from the damage and power was more on a state level then federal.

Saw the episodes and loved them-only disappointment is that they didnt give more details about the events of the wars.As for WW3(loved Federation) its suppose to be touched on this season as well :)