Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Nazi Germany

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Draka Empire

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters
What ships would the Confederate Navy consist of from 1862(the end of the ACW)-1893(Confederate-Nicragugian War where the pro-confederate goverment is attacked by Nicragugian rebels, Costa Rica, and Guatemala)? Describe the ship types and what they look like? Also there leaders?

Straha

Banned
1 don't know enoguh to speculate.

2 with the way 19th century immigration patters might have been in the draka ATL I'm pretty likely to be born in the draka ATL as a drakan. Instead of beign mexican, the other side of my family besdiesd the german-canadian side would probably be one of the scandanacian blonde drakans. Imagine a taller blonde verion of me witout the glasses.

Straha

Banned
nope sorry my specialty in ACW WI's is for the ibternal politics of both countries after they go apart and diplomacy.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
I have a huge book on this...but havent read it

But I do remember the Confederate cruisers and reckon these would be the initial backbone of the navy

If the CSA avoids war with any major nation then it may well not have anyting more, just more modern cruisers

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
ConfederateFly said:
I was thinking of it having a motley collection of ships with sails and and iron hulled steam ships and some ironclads.

Well, given the blurred boundaries of ship types in this era thats what you'd probably get with 20 years of cruisers (lighter frigates, corvettes etc)

You know much naval history ?

Grey Wolf

I know some, but I mostly study the Confederacy and I;m most interested in the Confederate Navy because they could have been great but the army and supply problem held them back. Why do u ask?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
ConfederateFly said:
I know some, but I mostly study the Confederacy and I;m most interested in the Confederate Navy because they could have been great but the army and supply problem held them back. Why do u ask?

oh well, the obvious reason - if you already know stuff I didn't want to sound patronising it in describing it :)

Grey Wolf

The Confederate Navy would be mostly motly, if one has a book on potential Confederate warships then they would most likely have those that they ordered abroad. With the exception of those that were taken over by the various governments - what the Confederates end up is entirely based on when they achieve their independence.

For the most part, given the economics of the Confederacy, I wouldn't think you would see any particularly modern warships until near the turn of the century. Take the US Navy of OTL and just slow it down some more. You shouldn't except the CS Navy to be anything more than a brown water defense fleet. These guys aren't going to be taking on the Spanish in the 1870s yet, let alone the 1880s.

Also one should think about the possibility that just as Britain had a naval arms race with Germany, the same is likely between the Confederacy and the United States, depending on how relations go.

Could there be a naval treaty between the U.S. and the Confederacy where the United States makes some naval ships for the Confederacy in return for something.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
The cruisers ordered would be delivered - other nations only seized the ones they seized OTL because the CSA was no longer either willing to pay or a good gamble. These cruisers ARE modern but they are designed with a purpose and I THINK that purpose would become the CSA's maxim - trade warfare... Thus they would be renewed and replaced, but though they may be useful for defence if necessary their main purpose would be for cruiser warfare against an enemy's trade. Now that CAN hurt where conventional battlefleets do not

Grey Wolf

David S Poepoe said:
The Confederate Navy would be mostly motly, if one has a book on potential Confederate warships then they would most likely have those that they ordered abroad. With the exception of those that were taken over by the various governments - what the Confederates end up is entirely based on when they achieve their independence.

For the most part, given the economics of the Confederacy, I wouldn't think you would see any particularly modern warships until near the turn of the century. Take the US Navy of OTL and just slow it down some more. You shouldn't except the CS Navy to be anything more than a brown water defense fleet. These guys aren't going to be taking on the Spanish in the 1870s yet, let alone the 1880s.

Also one should think about the possibility that just as Britain had a naval arms race with Germany, the same is likely between the Confederacy and the United States, depending on how relations go.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
ConfederateFly said:
Could there be a naval treaty between the U.S. and the Confederacy where the United States makes some naval ships for the Confederacy in return for something.

There doesnt need to be a treaty in so far as the Union yards which are private owned willl build anything any one can pay for, more or less

But it is far more likely that BRITAIN and FRANCE, and later perhaps GERMANY will be the main sources, if only to ensure that the USA doesnt have exact plans of the warships in the event of war

Grey Wolf

When it gets later in the century would the Confederacy use the ironclads ordered in Europe as commerce raiders and would they by more iron hulled steamer like the CSS Georgia (or when it was bought it was the SS Japan ) also they would have them 4 corvettes ordered in France.

Could there be a Confederate/German alliance by WW 1? If so how would the Confederacy contribute to Germany in WW 1 such as troops or weapons or thier navy? If WW 1 went the same way what limatations would be put on Germany and the Confederacy as of a treaty?

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Considering the CSA's maxim as a commerce raiding navy, their lack of money which would incline them to new and innovative ideas, and finally their own history; I'd be very surprised if at least some submarines weren't a part of the fleet by 1893.

Could there be a Confederate/German alliance by WW 1? If so how would the Confederacy contribute to Germany in WW 1 such as troops or weapons or thier navy? If WW 1 went the same way what limatations would be put on Germany and the Confederacy as of a treaty?

What kind of ships would they have? Iron Hulled Cruisers, Seagoing and Coastal ironclads, Wooden Cruisers, and Auxillary Gunboats?