British America and the Napoleonic Wars

Faeelin

Banned
assume, thanks to my magic handwave generator, that the American revolution is aborted, and Britain doesn't oppress the colonies. Rather than rising in flames, the colonies stretch to the mississippi by 1795.

Assume that some one (Murat, Hoche, Bonaparte, whomever) takes control of france.

With American support, how much of new spain could plausibly be taken?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Hmmm, your two assumptions are IMHO contradictory as I don't personally believe that without both the financial strain of the ACW and its affect on political philosophy any potential French revolution would have been anything similar to OTL...And any revolution that leaves Louis XVI in charge even if as a constitutional monarch is not going to lead to another, military, leader being dictator of France

Though the above seems nit-picking it would help if an ATL could be constructed to explain the 30 years in between, then an ATL could be constructed which covers FROM there

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Faeelin said:
assume, thanks to my magic handwave generator, that the American revolution is aborted, and Britain doesn't oppress the colonies. Rather than rising in flames, the colonies stretch to the mississippi by 1795.

Assume that some one (Murat, Hoche, Bonaparte, whomever) takes control of france.

With American support, how much of new spain could plausibly be taken?

1750- Prince Fredrick is hit by a Cricket Ball, Thru some ribs are broke, He survives, with bed rest. [IOTL he was hit in the Head and dies from the Misdianosed concussion]
1762- George II Dies Fredrick becomes King
1763- No proclanation of 1763,
1768- Franklin proposes new revised Albany Plan
1770- King Fredrick expresses intrest in the Plan
1771- continital conference comes up with a Plan that all 15 colonies propose
1772- King Fredrick submits plan to Parliment as the North American Act.
1775- First meeting of American Union
1789- King Louis dissolves the Estates General, Rising unrest thruout France
1790- in order to distract the population Louis invades Italy
1791- The Great European War 1790-1815 begins.l :eek:

Faeelin

Banned
Grey Wolf said:
Hmmm, your two assumptions are IMHO contradictory as I don't personally believe that without both the financial strain of the ACW and its affect on political philosophy any potential French revolution would have been anything similar to OTL...And any revolution that leaves Louis XVI in charge even if as a constitutional monarch is not going to lead to another, military, leader being dictator of France

Disagree. There were plenty of other crises that could've bankrupted France, such as the polish partitions, the bavarian succession.

Similarly, very few soldiers who fought in Amreica led the french revolution.

Not to say that it's not possible that there's no reign of terror, etc. But the demands will get more moderate as time goes by.

Of course, if you don't wish to discuss the effects of a strong american set of colonies on a Britain with delusions of picking up latin america (and egypt, and the phillipines, and the indies....), that's fine too.

I tried to investigate that bavarian succession when I was doing a no AR timeline though I found nothing.

>assume, thanks to my magic handwave generator, that the American revolution is aborted, and Britain doesn't oppress the colonies. Rather than rising in flames, the colonies stretch to the mississippi by 1795.

With American support, how much of new spain could plausibly be taken?<
we opressed the colonies?

Faeelin

Banned
Leej said:
I tried to investigate that bavarian succession when I was doing a no AR timeline though I found nothing.

>assume, thanks to my magic handwave generator, that the American revolution is aborted, and Britain doesn't oppress the colonies. Rather than rising in flames, the colonies stretch to the mississippi by 1795.

With American support, how much of new spain could plausibly be taken?<
we opressed the colonies?

Well, I'd say so. Others are sure to disagree, but I feel that the colonies were cheated as subservient parts of the empire, rather than vitally important parts after the seven years war.

1790- Great European war starts -GB, Prussia, Russia, north German States, vs France, Spain, Austria, south German States.
france invades italy, spain invades portugal, Britain enters war
1791- American union begin raiseing troops.
1792- American union troops along with british navy invade Cuba
1793- capture of Cuba, invadsion of Hispanola, Porto Rico.
1794- invasion, Capture of New Orleans, St Louis.
1795- Several regiments of American troops are fighting in Portugal.
1796- France attacks Kingdom of Naples- Americans invade French Guinia
1797- Americans attack Pamama [ OTL central America]
1797- War Dept to union Gov't about overextenting military
1798- :confused:

The only problem I have with your TL is that, without the ARW, France wouldn't be bankrupted by 1789. Delay the general estates convocation and everything after by hal-f a dozen years and the TL will be much more plausible, IMO.

However, IIRC, it was the conjonction of bad harvest with the financial crisis which made the situation that explosive in OTL. A few years in between may, indeed, lead to a constitutionnal monarchy ( and incidently, give Bonapartes the time to act on his idea to take turkish colors - Napoleon Bey, maybe? )