Kaiser Assasinated June 26 1914

WI Wilhelm !! along with Bethmann-Hartwig(?) were murdered before the death of Franz Ferdinand? What would occur. Evidence is found of complicity of Russia and Serib. What occurs after this scenario?

Why would Serbs assasinate Kaiser? AFAIK they didn't have any beef with Germany. A-H was different animal due to slavic popualtion and such but Germany?

War! The assassination of a head of state, particularly that of an autocracy, is an attack upon the State. For the most part I think both Wilhelm II and Bethmann were railroaded by the likes of Moltke and the General Staff who probably would stage a preemptive war to settle scores with France and Russia.

"particularly that of an autocracy"

Wilhelmine Germany wasn't an autocracy. It wasn't a true constitutional monarchy (I think) b/c the Kaiser had WAAY too much power, but the Kaiser wasn't in the same vein as Czar Nicholas was.

Who's Bethmann-Hartwig? That names sounds German, but I've never heard of him before.

Matt. I meant another name for then Chancellor of Germany. the ASBs got to me. I am wondering if the men AROUND the Wilhelm pushed him into action. I'll double check into the name.

Perhaps it would be best for you to move your date back to when the Kaiser goaded Annie Oakley into shooting the cigar from his mouth. She was nursing a hangover then and just a few millimeters over and it would have killed Wilhelm II. Great War avoided (as we know it) right there.

Matt Quinn said:

Wilhelmine Germany wasn't an autocracy. It wasn't a true constitutional monarchy (I think) b/c the Kaiser had WAAY too much power, but the Kaiser wasn't in the same vein as Czar Nicholas was.

Who's Bethmann-Hartwig? That names sounds German, but I've never heard of him before.

Those are my mistakes. 1. I should have remembered that Imperial Germany was not an autocracy, and neither was Austro-Hungary. 2. I should have checked the out about Bethmann-Hollweg, since Ed's post did seem a little off to me at the time.

Matt Quinn said:

I think they are talking about Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg (1856-1921), who served as Chancellor of Germany from 1909-17.

Robert,

That works, I think. If the Kaiser AND his chief minister are offed, things might get VERY interesting. I agree with David S. Poepoe that there will be WAR, even if a more peaceable fellow takes power after the Kaiser.