What if Napoleon dies at Toulon?

Lets say Napoleon gets hit in the head by some stray projectile at the siege of Toulon and dies. What happens to France and Europe? Peace? War? Does democracy spread quicker or slower? Does France remain a superpower until today?

Redbeard

Banned
Interesting question.

In the first perhaps long time nothing will happen, but the tension between the old ruling classes of noble- and clergymen and the new of moneymaking citizens will grow and grow. The international scene will continue out of the same tracks with UK and France rivaling overseas, and France, HRE, Prussia and Russia rivaling on the European continent. Austria might look for an opportunity to get back what she lost in the Seven Years War. Austria and Russia will both look with greed on the dissolving Ottoman Empire. France will watch any opportunity to extend its influence in Netherlands, Germany, Italy or Spain. The Swedish dynasty will still die out and a new King needed, but Bernadotte is only the unknown son of an obscure provincial lawyer. Could be have the War of Swedish succession? Perhaps the absense of a Napoleonic war will have UK try a reconquest of the North American colonies? If they do, the French will probably again support the Americans, and the expenses connected hereto, or some other conflict, might again start revolution, and this time or the next, it will suceed. Unless of course the absolute monarchies understand to reform in time, and in short those making the money and paying the taxes must also be given a fair share of the power.

France, UK, Germany, Netherlands and N. Italy all have large populations of the new hardworking taxpaying townsmen and any of these places are likely locations of the next revolution, although I believe the British and Dutch systems allowed a fairpart of the power to businessmen already.

On e interesting aspect is that the French and German nationalism are most likely not born, or at least postponed.

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Matt Quinn said:
If Napoleon dies at Toulon, would that necessarily mean that the French Revolution is crushed?

I dunno...that period isn't my best historical period...but as I understand it they would certainly be in trouble.

And didn't Napoleon get a bayonet wound in the leg during the Battle at Toulon, or was that another time?

Faeelin

Banned
Matt Quinn said:
If Napoleon dies at Toulon, would that necessarily mean that the French Revolution is crushed?

I don't think so, actually. Bonaparte was hardly the only general the republic had, after all, and arguably Massena or Hoche were his equals.

Faeelin

Banned
Redbeard said:
On e interesting aspect is that the French and German nationalism are most likely not born, or at least postponed.

Do you mean Italian and German?

Redbeard

Banned
Sorry I put my post in the wrong thread, it should have been some thoughts about what could have happened if Lois XVI had crushed the revolution.

Regards :eek:

Steffen Redbeard