Pro-German South Africa WWI

Is there any likelihood that pro-German Boer nationalists in South Africa at the start of WWI could've initiated a takeover of political power against the British, and secured enough of the country to give the Brits major headaches in their war effort both in Africa and in wider terms ? How much more difficult would the Allies have had it with Boer commandos again running around South Africa causing havoc in the same manner as during the Boer War ?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Melvin Loh said:
Is there any likelihood that pro-German Boer nationalists in South Africa at the start of WWI could've initiated a takeover of political power against the British, and secured enough of the country to give the Brits major headaches in their war effort both in Africa and in wider terms ? How much more difficult would the Allies have had it with Boer commandos again running around South Africa causing havoc in the same manner as during the Boer War ?

I certainly think that its possible to have happened. There were Boer rebellions in both the Transvaal and Orange River Colony, and the Boer commander on the SW Afrika border was also in contact with the Germans

OTL however Botha played a cool game, refused British aid which would have polarised South Africa even more. He led the forces against the rebels, and he continued to extend the deadline for amnesty until tension died down

You could perhaps have Botha not on the scene and someone less able in charge, or you could have the situation with the rebels worse than OTL - Jacobus de la Rey was killed in Sep 1914 running through a road block intended to catch thieves not rebels. If he had lived and joined the rebels, the butterflies could mean that Botha has it worse

If Botha has it worse, then maybe he has to call in British troops and if he does this paradoxically the rebellion could spread in resentment...

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Funny, I thought I had provided enough basis to advance this one rather than to kill it dead !

Grey Wolf

Sounds fun

Grey Wolf said:
Funny, I thought I had provided enough basis to advance this one rather than to kill it dead !

Grey Wolf

Impressive, you guys should do a multi-part, this could become a big-ass diversion for Britain