No Louis Armstrong: Metalheads for Nixon?

Straha

Banned
I just need a break from all the wars.

Suppose we remove Louis Armstrong. Jazz has several contemporary greats--Charlie Parker, Earl Hines, Jack Teasdale--such that the art form will still come to exist on schedule, but Armstrong's contributions were twofold: he pioneered and popularized the "solo", and he was probably popular music's first "Bad Boy", making millions and losing them all in the same year to women, drugs and legal settlements, over and over again.

Without King Louis, Jazz will remain focused on the band performing together, and probably adopt a more civil attitude, which rock'n'roll will inherit 25 years later. If the popular image of the "rock star" as a rebellious hedonist of titanic proportions isn't entrenched, how will this change pop culture (orpolitics, if you can swing that) over the next 50 years? (for one, Sid Vicious won't self-destruct, and punk will have a longer run). James Morrison for Governor (it worked for Reagan)?

Diamond

Banned
Linkwerk said:
I don't think there would even BE punk if popular music had a more civil attitude.

I tend to agree with that. But maybe... Member of Parliament John S. Ritchie? :)