Challenge: 1900s nanotech

Starting with John Dalton's atomic theory in 1803, have mature nanotechnology (nanomachines, assemblers, etc) before the year 2000.

I suppose...although it is as close to proven as you can get without actually doing it.

Nikola Tesla lived to 1943, was a fierce rival of Edison, but his ideas were too far-out and unsuccessful, and he lived in obscurity for the later part of his life. If he had gotten along better...he almost married into one of the wealthy families, and if he had, his career might have been better.

There were blacks involved in science but were relegated to teaching high school. If they had gone to France or other countries, they might have contributed more to the advancement of science.

WW I breaks out in 1854, 1878, 1898 or 1905, leading to more research and advancement in science.

I didn't see that one, but as soon as I posted I thought about GURPS Who's Who 1 and Who's Who 2, which have lots of biographical information and what-if scenarios, including info on Tesla.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
I don't see why you're involving Tesla in this. He was certainly a genius and his mind was heavily oriented to complexity, so its possible he would have had a large influence on the IC if he had been working in that field around the time of its development. However, his field was largely electrical engineering not microminiaturisation, which he never showed much interest in, to my knowledge. I'm not saying he wouldn't fit right in and probably substantially improve a technology that started to develop but nothing he did was along the lines of an original invention in this field.