WI:Minoan Civilization Survives into this day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go for the clearest immediate cause of the collapse: the
Mycenaeans. One can leave it vague as to whether one regards them as the
sole cause, or are postulating some sort of resurgence after other
difficulties are overcome, which (on this hypothesis) the Mycenaeans
exploited. It will make no real difference to the overall shape of
events.

So, eliminate the appearance of Mycenaean Greeks in Crete. How?
We know very little here, so a simple POD seems safest. Let's suppose
that the Minoans have a strong enough navy in this TL to keep the
Mycenaeans out. As a result, the age of the great palaces continues,
perhaps after a period of troubles.

In the interests of keeping the AH controllable, I propose that we
allow Mycenaean civilization to take much the same course as in OTL. Note
that this, in the current state of our knowledge of the later 2nd
millenium, needn't be unrealistic. One can postulate vast unspecified
differences from the political events of OTL, without it having to bother
us, since we don't know anything about this anyway. There's no reason to
suppose that any such effects of Minoan survival have to save Mycenaean
civilization from its collapse, an event whose causes are extremely
obscure.

It is at this point that one hits the first significant crux.
Does Minoan civilization share in the Mycenaean collapse? I'd say not,
because if it does the AH fizzles out here: Crete is overrun by Mycenaean
migrants as in OTL and the alternate TL rejoins the real one. How does
Crete avoid this fate? Let's go for the strong navy option again. For
color, one can combine this with the adoption of the Mycenaean-style
fortified palace, ironically at the very point at which it is being
abandoned by the Mycenaean Greeks themselves.

We're now at a stage where possible divergences start to become
obvious. If the Minoans can keep the Greeks out of Crete, then they can
probably also keep them out of the Cyclades. That inhibits the whole
eastward migration of Mycenaeans to Asia Minor in this period. So the
same movements of peoples are directed towards the west in this TL
(following up on established Mycenaean contacts). Instead of Ionia, we
have an earlier Greek Sicily and South Italy at the beginning.
Note that, with no Ionia, Archaic Greek contacts with the Middle
East will be mediated overwhelmingly through the Minoan palace culture.
One would speak of a "Minoanizing" rather than an orientalizing period in
Greek pottery. The Minoans themselves have opportunities for great
commercial wealth as middlemen. I think it was suggested at one point
that the Minoans and Phoenicians might ally. The Minoan economic interest
in keeping the Phoenicians out of their sphere seems to me to be so strong
that a hostile relationship is more probable. Phoenician-Greek contact
will be normal only in the western Med. (As a consolation prize, the
Phoenicians get to dominate Cyprus in this TL).
Minoan cultural continuity presumably includes Linear A.
Therefore, the reintroduction of writing into Greece will be in the form
of a Linear A-derived script we might call Linear C (probably not too
different from Linear B). Other Minoan cultural imports would be
particularly prominent in the areas of religion and mythology. The
Minoans, due to geographical proximity, would also be the quintessential
"foreigners" against whom an emerging sense of "Greekness" would define
itself: palace vs. polis at a minimum, perhaps also matriarchy vs.
patriarchy, and (in contrast with OTL) the Minoan sailor vs. the Greek
landsman. A collective Greek identity would emerge earlier.
The emergence of the Ionian thinkers is striking enough that I
suspect it depended on a particular combination of circumstances, one of
which was almost certainly the variety and depth of contacts with the
Middle East. So IMO it is reasonable to say that Greek philosophy and
rationalism will very likely not develop in this TL.
What happens when the pressures that lead to Greek colonization in
OTL build up? The best sites in the west are taken. The Minoans block
the east. The result is probably a) even more political upheaval among
the Greeks, with earlier tyrannies, some of whom, influenced by the
Minoans, may try to establish palace-based systems and b) conflict with
the Minoans, as the Greeks try to open up routes to Asia Minor and the
Black Sea. In the later stages of this process, accommodating the demands
of hoplite warfare is likely to prove a strain on the Minoan system.
Rather than drastically reorganize their social structure, they are likely
to fall back on the use of Greek hoplite mercenaries. (There are other
options, but Minoan civilization is looking so very static at this point
that I think one has to build in a marked preference for the most
conservative choice). Reliance on mercenaries proves futile when the
Greeks deprive the Minoans of their naval dominance (say, around 600 B.C.)
and thus of the commercial position on which their wealth is based.
Economic collapse provokes social crisis, and the palace civilization
breaks down. By 400 B.C., the palaces have been abandoned, except as
religious sites, and the towns have transformed themselves into
Greek-influenced city-states. Minoan language and culture remain the norm
on Crete and the Aegean islands, however. For color, one can say that an
isolated palace administration survives on Rhodes.

Matriarchy versus patriarchy?

Some material I've read ("The Language of the Goddess," a book expositing the theory of a pre-Indo-European goddess-worshipping society in Europe) said that the Minoans were the last such peoples to be squashed by the Indo-European hordes.

Were they really matriarchial/goddess-worshipping sorts? From what I've read of them, I thought they worshipped bulls.

Matt Quinn said:

Some material I've read ("The Language of the Goddess," a book expositing the theory of a pre-Indo-European goddess-worshipping society in Europe) said that the Minoans were the last such peoples to be squashed by the Indo-European hordes.

Were they really matriarchial/goddess-worshipping sorts? From what I've read of them, I thought they worshipped bulls.

Reconstructing any ancient religion is next to impossible without ample written sources. we are only just beginning to understand what made Graeco-Roman paganism tick, and they left us tons of documents. With the Minoans we'll be lucky if we can eventually identify major deities with any certainty. Bulls seem to have played a role, as do snakes.

As to the 'Language of the Goddess' - that's a case of 'believing is seeing', I think. I'm not saying there can't have been matriarchal cultures in Ancient Europe, but the case made by Gimbutas is dubious and the Cretan evidence more than flimsy. Just because we find a statuette of a bare-breasted woman handling a snake doesn't make that a Goddess or high priestess (and more interestingly, modern archeologists now think that many of the 'snake goddesses' once confidently labelled are of indeterminate gender. There may be surprises yet to come

(on a related note, the old tradition of labelling Dark Age graves containing weapons as 'male' hasreceived a few knocks after osteological study confirmed a number of skeletons interred with swords and spears as women. Just when you though you had them barbarians figured out...)

Matt Quinn said:

As to whether the Minoans were actually matriarchal in their societal structure, there is very little evidence of this.

I did a college term paper on the subject of the Minoan religion, which is actually quite interesting. We are, of course, handicapped by the fact that no religious texts have survived to give us actual details of the various Minoan cults or names of the deities. Nevertheless, a good deal of evidence has been gleaned from pictorial representations, objects found at religious sites, and so forth, which allow some basic deductions to be made.

The Bull was an important cult symbol, but does not seem to have been worshipped as a god. Bulls were sacrificed to the gods, and the Bull Beneath the Earth caused earthquakes. And of course there were the famous Bull Leaping games, which may actually have been a form of human sacrifice.

The actual goddesses (and gods) worshipped by the Minoans were as follows...

In the early Minoan period, there seems to have been one goddess. She is represented as a woman with arms upraised, or cradling her breasts in her hands. She may be either clothed or nude, and some representations of her resemble the "Venus" sculptures found at various Paleolithic sites. She is not yet identified with the bull or the "Horns of Consecration" (stylized bull horns which later became a central feature of Minoan religious architecture, but is associated with another symbol which will have a central significance in Minoan religion throughout the duration of the Civilization...the double axe. This "Great Mother Goddess" is generally thought to have been a general fertility goddess, similar to those found in many other Neolithic and early Bronze Age cultures.

In the Middle and Late Minoan Periods, this single goddess seems to become five separate, specialized goddesses. These are possibly all aspects of the same goddess, as many of the representations seem to overlap...but nobody really knows. The specialized goddesses are as follows...

1) The Mother of the Mountains...represented as a goddess standing on a mountain top, flanked by lions, and holding a spear in an outstretched arm. The goddess is associated with the Horns of Consecration, but not the Double Axe, as well as a shrine with pillars. May have been similar to the Great Mother Goddess later worshipped in Asia Minor, who controlled the fertility of the soil, and was worshipped on mountain tops and flanked by lions.

2) The Huntress...Shown as an armed goddess, accompanied by lions, birds, and sometimes other animals as well. May represent an early form of the later Greek goddess Artemis, who gave luck in the chase and fertility to animal populations.

3) The Mistress of the Trees...Shown as a goddess sitting beneath a tree, cradling her breast with her left hand while she grasps a cluster of poppies in her right hand. She is also indicated by the presence of tree branches in various cult scenes, shown either between the Horns of Consecration or floating in the air. In addition to the Horns, she is identified with the Double Axe, the Figure Eight Shield, the sun, the moon, the rainbow, and with detached animal heads. She is probably also to be identified with statues of a goddess wearing a crown of poppies found at various sites. May be a guardian of groves and plant life in general. The significance of the poppies is unknown...perhaps opium was used in the rites of her cult...many of the representations do show slits on the poppies for extraction of the opium.

4) The Snake Goddess...She is represented by many idols, all of which show a goddess holding snakes. She is identified with the Double Axe, Horns of Consecration, doves, and pillars, as well as snakes. This goddess seems to have been a Protectress of the Household; the Lady of the Underworld (who controlled the Bull Beneath the Earth and the fertility of the soil; and the Guardian of the Dead. There are many scholars who believe her to be an early form of the later Greek goddess Athena, who shared her symbols of the snake and the dove.

2) The Goddess of Love...represented as a nude goddess with doves, cradling her breasts in her hands. This is the only goddess portrayed in the nude during the Middle and Late Minoan periods. Generally thought to be an early form of the later Greek goddess, Aphrodite, with whom she shared the symbol of the dove.

In addition, in the Middle and Late Minoan periods there appears a male deity, or possibly a pair of deities, known as the Consort or the Master of Animals. He often appears as the consort of the Huntress or the Snake Goddess, and is represented as an armed god accompanied by lions. His is clearly a subordinate role...he is always depicted as smaller than the goddess with which he is associated, and sometimes is shown descending through the air to meet the goddess. He is thought to represent the seasonal vegetation cycle (the god dies, is mourned by his wife--the goddess of vegetation and fertility--and winter comes. In Spring he rises from the dead, and returns to his wife, who in her joy restores fertility to the earth). Another suggestion identifies him with the later Greek god Apollo, brother of Artemis. Personally, I think it is actually two gods. Apollo and Adonis, perhaps?

Last edited:
As you said, perhaps a strong enough navy to hold off the Mycenaens and then the Minoans colonize Sicily to such an extent that when Crete is wiped out by the eruption, they're able to recolonize Crete from Sicily. Perhaps in the aftermath there would be the rise of a new Minoan cult worshipping the Bull Beneath the Earth that causes earthquakes because it's quite obvious the Bull was displeased with them and caused the disaster to happen.

GBW said:
As you said, perhaps a strong enough navy to hold off the Mycenaens and then the Minoans colonize Sicily to such an extent that when Crete is wiped out by the eruption, they're able to recolonize Crete from Sicily. Perhaps in the aftermath there would be the rise of a new Minoan cult worshipping the Bull Beneath the Earth that causes earthquakes because it's quite obvious the Bull was displeased with them and caused the disaster to happen.

Crete never was "wiped out" by the eruption of Thera. The palaces there survived, and after some disruption, the civilization recovered quite a bit. But the arrival of the Mycenaeans put paid to them, finally. So just the strong navy (plus possibly fortification of the Minoan towns) would be enough.

In OTL, something like your suggested "Bull Beneath the Earth" cult probably was happening when the final coup de grace came, but if so, didn't leave a lot of evidence. I think its a very logical development, given what happened to Crete in the aftermath of Thera.

I think the Minoans will need some strong overseas settlements nonetheless for a strong force of naval vessels to be at when Thera erupts, though. Any vessels at Crete will have been wiped out. After the eruption, they can return to Crete and defend it against the Mycenaens.

GBW said:
I think the Minoans will need some strong overseas settlements nonetheless for a strong force of naval vessels to be at when Thera erupts, though. Any vessels at Crete will have been wiped out. After the eruption, they can return to Crete and defend it against the Mycenaens.

That's probably true. Didn't think of that aspect. :)

robertp6165 said:
Crete never was "wiped out" by the eruption of Thera. The palaces there survived, and after some disruption, the civilization recovered quite a bit. But the arrival of the Mycenaeans put paid to them, finally. So just the strong navy (plus possibly fortification of the Minoan towns) would be enough.

In OTL, something like your suggested "Bull Beneath the Earth" cult probably was happening when the final coup de grace came, but if so, didn't leave a lot of evidence. I think its a very logical development, given what happened to Crete in the aftermath of Thera.

Thera did indeed put an end to Minoan civilization, but not due to the immediate tsunami/ashfall. Rather, it was the change in climate, the volcanic winter, that so weakened the Minoans that they were reduced to cannabalism.

Thera would need to be ASBed out of existence for the Minoans to survive.

chrispi said:
Thera did indeed put an end to Minoan civilization, but not due to the immediate tsunami/ashfall. Rather, it was the change in climate, the volcanic winter, that so weakened the Minoans that they were reduced to cannabalism.

Thera would need to be ASBed out of existence for the Minoans to survive.

The problem with the Thera theory is that the eruption has now been found to date to about 1645 BC...it used to be dated to about 1500 BC. The 1645 BC date is about 200 years before Minoan civilization fell...really too long a time span to have been the actual killer of the Minoan civilization. And as I mentioned before, the Minoan civilization actually recovered to a great extent after the eruption prior to the final fall of the Cretan palaces to Mycenaean invaders about 1450 BC. Thera was, without a doubt, a disaster for the Minoans, but it does seem to be one that they managed to weather, although it did leave them in a weakened state that made it easier for the Mycenaeans to take over. If the Minoans had, as suggested by other posters (GBW for example), had more substantial colonies which could have aided the motherland after the eruption, and if the Minoan towns had been fortified, there is no real reason why the Minoans could not have survived.

Interesting...now how does an Minoan Empire in this ATL, CHANGE turn of events interract with the rise of Persia? How do Darius and Xerxes react to Minoan dominance of the Mediterranean? I'm gonna needs to be developed...depending on the timing, it could end up with the Persian empire expanding its borders even further than in OTL. Also, the Minoans might maintain some kind of presence in the western Mediterranean or in northern Africa, being administrated from the Minoan equivalent of Carthage.

Here is some Info on the Minoan Military.

The Minoan Military System 1600 to 1300BC: Minoan forces were divided into three main groups chariotry, infantry and ships, the first two are detailed below. I will only give a brief outline of the maritime forces as they really require a section to themselves but do not play a central role in the hsitory of the time, as Minoan sea dominance was complete, with no (known) major sea battles at the time

Chariotry: Known as the eqeta or `followers' this arm of the Minoan field force developed along typical Bronze Age lines from around 1600BC. The chariots themselves were usually drawn by teams of two horses (a `span') and crewed by a charioteer and a warrior. The chariots themselves were heavier and stronger in construction than contemporary Egyptian and Syrian examples having more in common with Hittite and Anatolian types. This was probably due to the nature of the terrain they fought over where a much more robust vehicle was necessary.

There is strong evidence that the chariot corps was organised centrally as clay tablet records of the charioteers supplying vehicles have been found alongside lists of chariot parts and their state of repair. This has led to the belief that the owners of chariots could not always provide a complete vehicle so a record of parts available was needed to match up wheels, cabs and horse teams. It is amusing to imagine that the owner's had a rota for crewing this composite vehicle, "Monday, Wednesday and Friday Telemachus, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday Agamemnon while Cleomenes gets Sunday because he only brought the wheels".

The crew had varying degrees of defensive equipment that became lighter as time went on. The most famous and distinctive panoply is the Dendra armour comprising large sheets of bronze skilfully worked to form complete protection from mid-thigh to chin (The other parts of the body being covered by the chariot cab and a helmet respectively). The effect is not unlike a menacing, bronze garbage can! Scale and linen armour was also favoured, with the charioteers having the lighter varieties due to the need for mobility.

It has been possible to reconstruct the size of chariot corps from the tablet records and they could be considerable with cities fielding between 100 and 400 at a time(quite a bit, when you consider that the chariots in question used AT LEAST 2 horses).

Infantry: While the chariotry was the "glamour" component of Minoan armies it was the footmen who made up the majority troop type. The infantry spearmen made up the bulk and while they were simply equipped and dressed they were also very distinctive in appearance.

Two pieces of equipment stand out, the tall shield and long spear, The shield was of two types, the "tower" and "figure-of-eight". These were tough, flexible and yet light covering the entire spearman from chin to toe negating the need for body armour. An impressive shield wall could be formed using these items. From between the shields would poke the 12' plus spears, with a foot-long blade of bronze tipping them they must have been an impressive sight en masse.

A helmet formed from sliced boar-tusks bound to a leather foundation protected the head. Atop this could be fixed a stiff crest of horsehair or tusk, alternatively the lacings holding the helmet together could be plaited decoratively. Most infantry wore only a loincloth or went naked. Richer individuals might wear colourful fringed kilts identical to those common throughout the region at this time. Swords were items of some worth and denoted status so would be confined to chariot crews and spearmen.

Archers: During this early period archers were relatively common and widely employed. They could operate in several different roles with varying levels of specialisation. The classic role was as a skirmisher, skipping around the battlefield pestering the slower or less agile enemy troops or driving off the enemy skirmishers to allow their own side a free hand. Secondly they could group together in an attempt (not always successful it must be said) to concentrate their shooting at vulnerable targets such as horses.

The last role for the archers was to directly support the spearmen, this could be by indirect shooting from the rear ranks of the shield wall in an attempt to disrupt an advancing enemy formation or in a more aggressive way which would see them shooting from between the shields of the front rank spearmen directly at the enemy. It is therefore possible to depict your spearmen with archers mixed into or behind the ranks.

Slingers: While not an important part of the army numerically the slingers would still perform a valuable service holding rough or broken terrain and harassing the enemy flanks.

Javelinmen: Again not numerically outstanding but interesting in that I have heard that a contingent of Libyan javelin have fought with Mycenaean forces, wich perhaps sets presedence for minoan use. The native javelinmen may even be entirely absent if Libyans were present, as the Lybians at this time were considerd master skirmishers(thats just a thought of mine, for the most part)

The Pylians: These inhabitants of Achaea make an interesting alternative to the more usual solid spearmen or skirmishing javelinmen. They appear wearing kilts, linen greaves and boar tusk helmets. They have no shield but are shown carrying swords (rapier-like affairs) and, sometimes, javelins. Although not a common troop-type, they seem to have had their fare share of engagements

Minoan Tactics: The foundation of the battle line was the wall of shields with the spearmen up to 8-deep backed up and interspersed by archers. Other skirmishers would operate on the flanks as described above. The only real decision for the Minoan and early Mycenean chieftains seems to have been the placement of his chariotry.

The chariot combats between the noble champions would most likely decide any battle so it depended upon how confident the chariot corps felt as to the formation it took up. If both sides were eager for battle and both sides were equal in numbers or one side felt more confident than the other did then the chariots formed up in front of the spears. If a side were outnumbered or reluctant to face their adversaries then they would form up on the flanks and between spear blocks. This would enable "downed" charioteers to retreat to the safety their shield walls.

Last edited:
Chariots would not have been used routinely for travel and war on Crete. Most of Crete is mountains and before the motor age most of the roads were goat tracks and flights of stone stairs and impossible for wheeled vehicles. In Ottoman times Turkish cavalry on Crete had an almost impossible job trying to move around, let alone fighting a war.

Anthony Appleyard said:
Chariots would not have been used routinely for travel and war on Crete. Most of Crete is mountains and before the motor age most of the roads were goat tracks and flights of stone stairs and impossible for wheeled vehicles. In Ottoman times Turkish cavalry on Crete had an almost impossible job trying to move around, let alone fighting a war.

Nevertheless, Minoan records indicate that large chariot forces containing hundreds of vehicles were maintained at the various palaces. Indeed, many of the Linear A tablets seem to be nothing more than an inventory of chariot parts stored at the palaces. So they must have been getting some use out of them...chariot forces were very expensive to build and maintain, and no state which did not find them useful would have built such a force.

Here is my new tl, based upon the very well disscussed topics in this thread.

The Minoan Empire: The Prequel

1700-1650 BCE.: Either an Invasion coming from turkey or Earthquake in the Minoan Crete causes an large disturbance in Crete. After that the population rose again, and the palaces were rebuilt, even larger than before. The Minoans begin their age of Naval Dominance, crushing their vals The Myecaneans and keep them out of the Cyclades. The Minoans began heavy colonization, in southern Italy and establish an powerful administration in OTL Sicily.

1700-1698 BCE: Lila-Ir-Tash rules the Elamite Empire

1698-1690 BCE: Lila-Ir-Tash dies, he is succeeded by Temti-Agun I

1690-1655 BCE: Temti-Agun I dies, he is succeeded by Tan-Uli.

1650 BCE.: An Eruption at the Volcanic Island of Thera causes an massive Tsunami which destroys most of the Minoan settlements on the coast. While most of The Minoan Aristocracy manages to escape to The city of Enrisoss (Sicily), which served as the temporary capital of the nation, and Strangely the navy’s size double to what it was before the eruption. The event at Thera causes many Minoan lives to be lost and Many survivors loose faith in Minoan priest who supposedly could control the weather. After all of it’s loss The Minoan’s still remain the most dominating force in the Mediterranean seas.

1650-1580 BCE.: The Hyksos, Semitic sea peoples who base themselves at the Nile Delta, rule Lower Egypt directly , and exact tribute from Upper Egypt, treating it as a subject satellite state.
1600 B.C.: The Ruling Amorite Dynasty is overthrown in Aleppo, Syria.

1600 BCE.: .The country Sheba or Saba, whose name means Host of Heaven and peace, was Abyssinia. Located in southwest Arabia on the eastern tip of the Red Sea, Sheba occupied 483,000 square miles of mountains, valley and deserts in the area of present day Yemen. Ethiopia, on the western end of the Red Sea, is also part of Sheba's territory. Sheba was a wealthy country, advanced in irrigation techniques and hydraulic power. Its people, the Sabaeans, built dams as high as 60 feet and large earthen wells which contributed to their thriving agriculture and beautiful gardens. Rich in gold and other precious stones, as well as incense and exotic spices sought by neighboring kingdoms, Sheba engaged in a lucrative caravan trade. By 1000 BCE, camels frequently traveled the 1400 miles up the "Incense Road" and along the Red Sea to Israel. The Sabaeans have been described as a tall and commanding people, both woolly-haired and straight-haired. Semitic in origin, they are believed to have been descendents of the Cush of the Bible. The sacred Ethiopian book which establishes the founder of the Ethiopian dynasty as the son of Solomon and Sheba, suggests that the Sabaeans were black. "Ye are black of face - but if God illumineth your hearts, nothing can injure you," priest Azariah says to the Queen and her people in the Kebra Negast. Because of its isolation, Sheba was secure from military invasion for at least 500 years, and was independent and at peace with its neighbors during the 11th and 10th century BCE. History reveals that at least five kings preceded the Queen of Sheba - among them Iti'amra and Karibi-ilu. Yet Arabian documents portray all of Arabia as matriarchal and ruled by queens for over 1000 years. In Ethiopia, the Kebra Negast refers to a law established in Sheba that only a woman could reign, and that she must be a virgin queen.
Numerous legends refer to the female-centered clans, matriarchal practices, and matrilineal inheritance of ancient Arabia and surrounding countries. In Assyria, the head of a family was called the "shebu," and was originally a female, or matriarch. In other mideastern lands, polyandry was sanctioned - a woman could marry several husbands, who left their own families to live with hers; she could also initiate divorce by turning her tent to face east for three nights in a row. Before the onset of patriarchy, women may have experienced superior - or at least equal - rights with men.

1600-1300 BCE: Here we shall have an slight overview of the Minoan Military: Minoan forces were divided into three main groups chariotry, infantry and ships, the first two are detailed below. I will only give a brief outline of the maritime forces as they really require a section to themselves but do not play a central role in the hsitory of the time, as Minoan sea dominance was complete, with no (known) major sea battles at the time

Chariotry: Known as the eqeta or `followers' this arm of the Minoan field force developed along typical Bronze Age lines from around 1600BC. The chariots themselves were usually drawn by teams of two horses (a `span') and crewed by a charioteer and a warrior. The chariots themselves were heavier and stronger in construction than contemporary Egyptian and Syrian examples having more in common with Hittite and Anatolian types. This was probably due to the nature of the terrain they fought over where a much more robust vehicle was necessary.

There is strong evidence that the chariot corps was organised centrally as clay tablet records of the charioteers supplying vehicles have been found alongside lists of chariot parts and their state of repair. This has led to the belief that the owners of chariots could not always provide a complete vehicle so a record of parts available was needed to match up wheels, cabs and horse teams. It is amusing to imagine that the owner's had a rota for crewing this composite vehicle, "Monday, Wednesday and Friday Telemachus, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday Agamemnon while Cleomenes gets Sunday because he only brought the wheels".

The crew had varying degrees of defensive equipment that became lighter as time went on. The most famous and distinctive panoply is the Dendra armour comprising large sheets of bronze skilfully worked to form complete protection from mid-thigh to chin (The other parts of the body being covered by the chariot cab and a helmet respectively). The effect is not unlike a menacing, bronze garbage can! Scale and linen armour was also favoured, with the charioteers having the lighter varieties due to the need for mobility.

It has been possible to reconstruct the size of chariot corps from the tablet records and they could be considerable with cities fielding between 100 and 400 at a time(quite a bit, when you consider that the chariots in question used AT LEAST 2 horses).

Infantry: While the chariotry was the "glamour" component of Minoan armies it was the footmen who made up the majority troop type. The infantry spearmen made up the bulk and while they were simply equipped and dressed they were also very distinctive in appearance.

Two pieces of equipment stand out, the tall shield and long spear, The shield was of two types, the "tower" and "figure-of-eight". These were tough, flexible and yet light covering the entire spearman from chin to toe negating the need for body armour. An impressive shield wall could be formed using these items. From between the shields would poke the 12' plus spears, with a foot-long blade of bronze tipping them they must have been an impressive sight en masse.

A helmet formed from sliced boar-tusks bound to a leather foundation protected the head. Atop this could be fixed a stiff crest of horsehair or tusk, alternatively the lacings holding the helmet together could be plaited decoratively. Most infantry wore only a loincloth or went naked. Richer individuals might wear colourful fringed kilts identical to those common throughout the region at this time. Swords were items of some worth and denoted status so would be confined to chariot crews and spearmen.

Archers: During this early period archers were relatively common and widely employed. They could operate in several different roles with varying levels of specialisation. The classic role was as a skirmisher, skipping around the battlefield pestering the slower or less agile enemy troops or driving off the enemy skirmishers to allow their own side a free hand. Secondly they could group together in an attempt (not always successful it must be said) to concentrate their shooting at vulnerable targets such as horses.

The last role for the archers was to directly support the spearmen, this could be by indirect shooting from the rear ranks of the shield wall in an attempt to disrupt an advancing enemy formation or in a more aggressive way which would see them shooting from between the shields of the front rank spearmen directly at the enemy. It is therefore possible to depict your spearmen with archers mixed into or behind the ranks.

Slingers: While not an important part of the army numerically the slingers would still perform a valuable service holding rough or broken terrain and harassing the enemy flanks.

Javelinmen: Again not numerically outstanding but interesting in that I have heard that a contingent of Libyan javelin have fought with Mycenaean forces, wich perhaps sets presedence for minoan use. The native javelinmen may even be entirely absent if Libyans were present, as the Lybians at this time were considerd master skirmishers(thats just a thought of mine, for the most part)

The Pylians: These inhabitants of Achaea make an interesting alternative to the more usual solid spearmen or skirmishing javelinmen. They appear wearing kilts, linen greaves and boar tusk helmets. They have no shield but are shown carrying swords (rapier-like affairs) and, sometimes, javelins. Although not a common troop-type, they seem to have had their fare share of engagements

Minoan Tactics: The foundation of the battle line was the wall of shields with the spearmen up to 8-deep backed up and interspersed by archers. Other skirmishers would operate on the flanks as described above. The only real decision for the Minoan and early Mycenean chieftains seems to have been the placement of his chariotry.

The chariot combats between the noble champions would most likely decide any battle so it depended upon how confident the chariot corps felt as to the formation it took up. If both sides were eager for battle and both sides were equal in numbers or one side felt more confident than the other did then the chariots formed up in front of the spears. If a side were outnumbered or reluctant to face their adversaries then they would form up on the flanks and between spear blocks. This would enable "downed" charioteers to retreat to the safety their shield walls.

1597 BCE: Aaron born to Amram and his wife Jochebed

1595 BCE: Mursilis I, king of the Hittites, sacks Babylon. This brings and to the rule of the descendants of Hammurabi in that Kingdom.

1556 BCE: Cecrops begins to either build or Rebuild Athens following the great flood of Deucalion and the end of the Golden Age. He Becomes The First of several Kings of Athens whose life account is considered part of Greek Mythology.

c.a. 1550's BCE: The City of Mycenae, located in the north Peloponnesus, came to dominate Archaea and formed the Mycenaean Civilization.

c.a. 1539 BCE: First use of the Valley of The Kings in Egypt.

1530 BCE: end of the First Dynasty of Babylon and the start of The Kassite dynasty. Also in this year The Mitanni a people of Indic origin who ruled a vast kingdom (with a common Hurrian population) in West Asia in the second millennium BC. Mitanni arose near the sources of the Khabur River in Mesopotamia sometime after 1500 BC. It was a feudal state led by a warrior nobility. The kingdom ruled northern Mesopotamia (including Syria) for out of their capital of Washshukanni, (or Wassukkani, or Vasukhani, meaning "a mine of wealth.") in Sanskrit .

1523 BCE: Start of the Shang Dyansty in China.

1510 BCE: Begging of Mayan Civilization is Belize

c.a. 1509 BCE: Stonehenge is built in OTL, Wiltshire, England. Also in ths year The Phoenicians develop an Alphabet.

1506 BCE: Cecrops, legendary King of Athens dies after an reign of forty years. Having survived his own son is succeded by Cranuas.

1504-1492 BCE: Pharaoh Thutmose III of Egypt conquers Nubia and The Levant.

1500 BCE and onward: King Minos VIII sends out an expedition from Enrioss(Sicily) to the explore suitable eastern colonization. The explores western coastal of Anatolia(now in Turkey). In OTL, It was comprised of a narrow coastal strip from Phocaea in the north near the mouth of the river Hermus (now the Gediz), to Miletus in the south near the mouth of the river Maeander, and included the islands of Chios and Samos. Adjoining the Aegean Sea, it was bounded by Aetolia to the north, Lydia to the east and Caria to the south. King Minos encourages the colonization, and Trading Center’s and military sites begriming springing up in the region. This also gives the Minoans trade opportunities with The Hittite Empire and the Phoenicians who at this time were just beginning their Alphabet.

1501-1479 BCE: Reign of Queen Hastesphuat, she had only one model in mind, Sobeknefru, the last monarch of the Twelfth dynasty, who ruled in her own right. She took one step further than Sobeknefru and had herself crowned Pharaoh in 1473 BC and took the throne name Maatkare. Pharaoh was an exclusively male title, at this point in Egyptian history there was no word for a female ruler (the closest equivalent, the one used by Sobeknefru, was King's Wife), thus Queen Hatshepsut became King Hatshepsut. She assumed all of the regalia and symbols of that office including the false beard. The false beard was a symbol of Pharaonic power and by wearing it Hatshepsut was asserting her right and position as King or Ruler and not King's Wife or ruler's wife of Egypt. Her motivation for wearing men's clothing was political not Sexual.

1496 BCE.: Cranaus, legendary King of Athens is desposed after a short reign of ten years by his son in law Amphicyton of Thessaly , son of Decualion and Pyrrha.

1487 BCE: Amphictyon, son of Deucalion and Pyrrha and legendary King of Athens dies after a reign of 10 years and is succeeded by Erichthonius I of Athens, a grandson of Cranaus.

1469 BCE: The Egyptian Army defeats the Canaanite forces at The Battle of Meggido.

1424 BCE: The Great Bharata war fought tribes in Vedic South East India unlike OTL ,The two sides to the war were the Pandavas and the Kauravas. Earlier during the Mahabharata, the Kauravas cheated the Pandavas at a dice game, forcing their Pandava cousins to go into exile for thirteen years, including twelve years of forest exile, and one year of anonymous exile. If the Pandavas were caught during the year of anonymity, they would have to go to twelve years of exile again. After the exile, the eldest of the Kaurava brothers, Duryodhana, refused to return the kingdom to the Pandavas. In order to regain the kingdom, the Pandavas fought the war.

1420-1405 BC.: The Mycenaean war: Over the past two centuries the Minoan power in the sea has been unparallel to any opposing force. Many Minoan citizens long to return to their homeland Crete. In the year 1420 however, when they do they find their palaces infest with Mycenaeans how have literally overrun the island. The newly appointed King Minos X of Enrisoss sends the powerful army through Crete. By 1415, The cities of Zakro, Gourina, Malia, Khania, Phaistos and Knossosos are liberated. In 1414 BCE, one of his most controversial decisions in his reign, he orders the Massacre of the Mycenaean men, and the Women and Children to be sold into slavery. King Pelopos of Mycenae, in retaliation of the massacre launches a massive campaign against The Minoans in southern Italy and attempt an Invasion of the Asia Minor colonies. Heavy fighting is ensued in Italy, and both armies are bogged down in their till 1410 BCE. King Minos, seeks alliance with King Arnuwanda I of the Hittite Empire. Together they crush the Mycenaean armies in Asia Minor. The Minoan fleet crushes the Mycenaean navy which cuts off availability of Supplies, Equipment and Reinforcements, force The Mycenaean’s out of Southern Italy. Finally, The Two kings set up an Massive invasion of the unto the Myceanean homeland in the Peloponnesus. It only takes two years for the armies to conquer Pythia and other small towns. Athens pledges allegiance to the Minoans and is not sacked, while Argos itself is taken and King Pelepos is executed. The men are killed and Women and Children are sold into slavery. The Peloponnesus is split, with Athens going to the Hittites. Thus ending Myceanen Expansion and Giving birth to the New Minoan Period in Greece.

1400 BCE: Vengeful Mycenaean slaves burn The Palace of Minos to the ground. The Arsonist are captured and executed by King Daros I(King Minos was killed in the fire). Also in this year the Canaanite town of Ugrait is at it Height.

1380 BCE: Pharaoh Amenhotep II connects the Nile and the Red Sea with a canal.

1358-1357 BCE: Reign of Pharaoh Akhenaten/Queen Neffertiti, Born as Amenhotep IV, his name means "the spirit of the Aten". Together with his wife, Nefertiti, Akhenaton introduced a monotheistic cult of one god, the sun god Aton, and abolished the worship of all the other traditional Egyptian gods. He was branded the "Criminal of Amarna" (the city he built to the Aten).

1358 BCE: Death of Erichthonius, mythical King of Dardania.

1358-1357 BCE: Reign of Pharaoh Smenkhare The ‘’Great’‘. After the death of Akhneaton, The Mysterious son-in-law of Akenaton takes to the throne, unlike his father-in-law Smenkhare, is compassionate for the people of Egypt. It was said the he hardly staid at the palace in Armana. He was often found spreading the hymns of Aten to peasants, visiting the gold mines in Nubia and improving trade relations with the many nations of the middle east. He is Assassinated by an unknown assailant. He is known for his valuable riches lft in his tomb in the Valley of The Kings.

1357 BCE: King Daros I of Minoa dies, he is succeeded by his son who takes to the throne as Kroti I.. Also in this year, Pharaoh Smekhare I is succeeded by 12 year-old cousin Tutankhaten,

1354 BCE: Pharoah Tutankhaten of Egypt renames himself to Tutankhamun and abandons Amarna, returning the capital to Thebes.

1351 BCE: Pharaoh Tutankhamun is assassinated, His wife Queen Ankhesenamen , She writes a letter to the Hittite king Suppiluliumas I, who is restoring and vastly expands the decayed Hittite empire, asking him to send one of his sons to become her husband and to become Pharaoh of Egypt. King Suppiluliumas 1, sends his son Zannanza, with an small army to accompany with him. He arrives safetly and the two are quickly married and Zannanza becomes The First Pharaoh of the new Nineteenth Dyansty. Upon his ascension, upon his wife’s request has every possible threat eliminated. He will have a successful reign as Pharaoh, and will continue the polcies of his predecessor Smenkhare, and because of his great ties with Hatti. The kingdom will prosper greatly from his reign.

1347 BCE: Legendary King Erechtheus II is reportedly killed by lightning after a reign of 50 years and is succeeded by his younger brother Cecrops II.

1334 BCE: King Suppiluliuma I of Hatti dies, he is succeeded by his son who takes to the throne as Arnuwanda II

1333 BCE: King Arnuwands II of Hatti dies, he is succeeded by his brother who takes to the throne as Mursili II

1330 BCE: King Kroti of Minoa dies, he is succeeded by his son who takes to the throne as Daros II

1326 BCE: Pharaoh Zannaza dies, he is succeeded by son who takes to the throne as Pharaoh Menes II.

1303 BCE: Cecrops II, legendary King of Athens dies after a reign of 40 years and succeeded by his son Pandion II. His brother Metion leads a successful revolt by Nobles to gain control of Athens and most of Attica, Greece while Cecrops becomes reigns from Megara.

1298 BCE:. King Daros II of Minoa dies, he is succeeded by his son who takes to the throne as Minos IX.

1292 BCE: Pharaoh Menes II dies, he is succeeded by his son who takes to the throne as Smenkhare II.

1285 BCE: Battle of Kadesh: Smenkhare II, Pharaoh of Egypt is almost defeated by Muwatallis of the Hittites.

1282 BCE: Pandion II, legendary King of Athens dies after a nominal reign of 25 years. He reportedly only reigned in Megara while Athens and the rest of Attica were under the control of an alliance of Nobles led by his uncle Metion (son of Erechtheus of Athens) and his sons (including in some accounts Daedalus). His four sons lead a successful military campaign to regain the throne. Aegeus becomes King of Athens, Nisos reigns in Megara, Lykos in Euboea and Pallas in southern Attica.

1269 BCE: Pharaoh Smenkhare II signs the first known peace treaty with Hittite King
Hattusilis III.

C.a. 1260's BCE: Traditional date set for The Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt under The Leadership of Moses

1251 BCE: King Minos IX dies, he is succeeded by his son who takes to the throne as Daros III. Also on September 7th of that year, A solar eclipse at this date might mark the birth of legendary Heracles at Thebes, Greece.

1233 BCE: Aegeus, legendary King of Athens receives a false message that his son by Aethra of Troezena and designated heir Theseus is dead. The later had been sent to his overlord Minos of Crete as an offering to Minotaur. Medus, Aegeus' only other son by Medea of Colchis had been exiled in Asia and would become legendary ancestor to the Medes. Believing himself without heirs the King committed suicide after a reign of 48 years. He is succeeded by the still living Theseus. The Aegean Sea is reportedly named in his honor.

1225 BCE: Pharaoh Smenkhare II dies at the remarkable age of 90, He is succeeded by his son who takes to the throne as Zannaza II. Also in this year, Birth of Helen to King Tyndareus of Sparta and his wife Leda.

1221 BCE : King Daros III of Minos dies, he is succeeded by his son who takes to the throne as Kroti II.

1213 BCE: Thesseus legendary King of Athens is deposed and succeeded by Menestheus, great-grandson of Erechtheus and second cousin of his father Aegeus. Menestheus was reportedly assisted by Castor and Polydeuces of Sparta who wanted to reclaim their sister Helen from her first husband Theseus. The later seeks refuge in Skyros whose King Lycomedes is an old friend and ally of his. However Lycomedes considers his visitor a threat to the throne and proceeds in his assassination. (Other accounts place these events a decade later

1200 BCE: The Cimmerians began settling the steppes of Southern Russia.

Ooh, thread necromancy!

I thought about posting a similar POD, and found this thread when searching.

My thought was that slight differences in earlier tremors at Thera caused deep cracks in the volcano, above the ground. Rather than one huge blast, with water flowing into the magma chamber, the Thera eruption became a long release of pressure with ash flows from the mountain over a period of years.

So no tidal wave estimated a minimu 35 meters, maxium 150 meters tall. (The christmas tsunami of 2004 was 2 meters tall)

No smashing of the Minoan fleet, and no massive ash and pumice fall covering the fields.

And most importantly, no salt water rushing in and soaking the earth of Crete, leaving the minoan civilization dependent on grain imports from then on.

Anyway, I thought the most interesting repercussion of Minoan survival would be social. The Minoans seemed to place very little import on land warfare, and not to engage much in military adventures overseas. The society seem, on the basis of what little we know, to have been matriarchal as well. All of which put it at odds with the rest of the eastern mediterranean cultures.

And for those who would like to see minoan colonies, minoan writing has been found at old silver mines -in Norway.

Status
Not open for further replies.