The Kingdom of America or American Empire

What is the most plausible way for getting this:

- avoid the American Revolution by creating an American Parliament

- create the Dominion of America (comprised of the 13 + Canada + Caribbean), existing between sometime in the 18th Century 'til 1815

- have the Dominion of America, incorporating the American Parliament, be (relatively) loyal subjects of the King

- have American forces participate in the Napoleonic Wars (in Europe)

- have the DoA released in 1815 as an independent nation as gratitude for the American actions in the Napoleonic Wars

- have the Kingdom of America or American Empire (either name) created in 1815 or 1816

- have the KoA or AE (whatever you called it) governed by a King

- have that King be of the line of William, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh, and brother of George III

- have that line intermarry with a wealthy American family

- have the KoA or AE government structured in the style of Great Britain

Xen

Banned
I did something like this once.

Benjamin Franklin visits London and sees King George III and gives him a proposition. America will remain loyal to the King but have its own ruling body (the American Congress) in place of the Parliment. It is to be elevated to equal status of England, and Scotland. George agrees, and the US remains loyal to the crown as the Kingdom of America.

During the Napoleanic Wars Americans serve in Louisiana which is conquered rather easily and transfer to Iberia and fight as allies of Britain. Britain is glad to have someone who is more competent than the Portugese at their side.

A clause written by the American Congress and agreed to by King George forbids women to be the Monarch of America. When Victoria becomes Queen of Britain, America is declared independent with a Hanover King coming to the throne.

Slavery ends in America at the same time as the rest of the Empire, and there is still a war with Mexico over Texas and the Southwest in 1848.

Xen said:
A clause written by the American Congress and agreed to by King George forbids women to be the Monarch of America. When Victoria becomes Queen of Britain, America is declared independent with a Hanover King coming to the throne.

Except for this part, that sounds good. Is there any other way America can become independent w/o this clause? I'd like to use William as the "founder" (even though he died in 1805 and, thus, would never be King) of the Royal Line in America, and all his children that lived were daughters.

Wasn't Washington offered the position of King of America? You could have him take it up.

Leej said:
Wasn't Washington offered the position of King of America? You could have him take it up.

That's more of a myth than anything. It was written in a letter by one of Washington's former aides (I believe) and was blown out of porportion. Nobody in OTL's 1783 wanted an American King.

I have a timeline posted in the topic "Empire World" where the United Empire of America is formed after Napoleon falls.

- avoid the American Revolution by creating an American Parliament
Let's say that a version of the Albany PLan is accepted by King George III, creating the Dominion of America (northern states) and the Dominion of Georgia (southern states), and each sends representives to the American and British Parliment.

- create the Dominion of America (comprised of the 13 + Canada + Caribbean), existing between sometime in the 18th Century 'til 1815
Already did that, but alos create the Dominion of Florida (East Flordia), Dominion of Pensacola (West Florida), and the Dominion of the Caribbean.

- have the Dominion of America, incorporating the American Parliament, be (relatively) loyal subjects of the King
With representation in the Parliment and their own Parliment, the Americans will remain fairly loyal to the king/queen.

- have American forces participate in the Napoleonic Wars (in Europe)
4500 American soldiers are sent to Europe under General Andrew Jackson are used at Waterloo and other important battles, and American armies capture most of Louisiana.

- have the DoA released in 1815 as an independent nation as gratitude for the American actions in the Napoleonic Wars
The six Dominions (America, Canada, Georgia, Pensecla, Florida, and Caribbean) are given their independece as the United Kingdom of America.

- have the Kingdom of America or American Empire (either name) created in 1815 or 1816
The United Kingdom of America is formed in 1816.

- have the KoA or AE (whatever you called it) governed by a King
How about an Emperor instead?

- have that King be of the line of William, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh, and brother of George III
King George IV, Regency of Britian at that time, will become the King of America until his father, George III dies. Then, George IV's only daughter, Princess Charlotte (in 1817, she died during childlabur OTL, but let's say that she and her child lived) became Emperess Charolette I of America.

- have that line intermarry with a wealthy American family
Have the Washington Family become rich after George Washington is the Govennor-General of the Dominion of Georgia, and Charolette I marries a TTL child of Washington, Henry Washington.

- have the KoA or AE government structured in the style of Great Britain
Areas will be ruled by earls and such, and certain areas will be ruled by dukes or princes.

Walter_Kaufmann said:
That's more of a myth than anything. It was written in a letter by one of Washington's former aides (I believe) and was blown out of porportion. Nobody in OTL's 1783 wanted an American King.

If one can write an ATL based on the myth of Russian support for the United States during the American Civil War than one can certainly write about Washington being king. Its just as probable that the Founding Fathers would have been happy with the US governed by an elite oligarchy.

Regarding the King vs. Emperor debate, on the whole, I believe that King would be a more likely choice given the time period. If we're certainly considering this to be post-Napoleonic there would probably be a lot of negative connotations connected with with anybody calling themselves Emperor. The concept of Emperor is still rather limited in the post-Renaissance West. At least at first, for probably 50 years or so, the American Crown would probably retain a close similarity to that of England.

The adoption of the Salic Law does seem unreasonable, especially since England never had a history of it. I think it fairly likely that since power would rest really with the American Parliament the sex of the Bearer of the Crown wouldn't really mean a thing.

For possible American dominions I would suggest:

Virginia, Carolina, Georgia, New York, Chesapeake (OTL Pennsylvannia, Maryland, Delaware) New England (OTL Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut), Canada (OTL Ontario), Acadia (OTL Quebec and the Maritimes), Louisiana. Perhaps also a Dominion of Ohio, basically the entire Old Northwest Territory.

Florida would probably be tacked onto Georgia. Not every half and quarter part of a state will be created a Dominion. Theres probably a certain threshold an area must meet before being granted Dominion status.

On the local level, that of Dominion, perhaps there would be a bicameral Legislature, a House of Nobles and House of Commons. It would be fairly close to the current 'republican' version as seen in America, tho the difference would be that the upper house would be from where the Governor-Generals/Prime Ministers are chosen from. In order to be governor of a dominion one necessarily has to be a noble. However, budgetary bills and taxes can only be passed by the House of Commons.

Please don't slander the Napoleonic War Portuguese

Xen, I'd just like to state that the Portuguese during the Peninsular War were very strong and competent allies of the British, especially the CACADORE light inf who became the equal of the British light inf and Riflemen.

Also, I suppose serious discussion of this topic rules out any mention of the 'John Frum' cargo cult of Vanuatu which venerated a black 'King of America' during WWII ?