AH names

This is pretty good for coming up with interesting names for various characters in your timelines.
http://www.kabalarians.com/html/surf-by.htm
It's got names from almost every imaginable society. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but its a good guideline.

Oh, and its a kooky philosophy site (at least, thats what it seems to be at first glance), just so you know.

DominusNovus said:
This is pretty good for coming up with interesting names for various characters in your timelines.
http://www.kabalarians.com/html/surf-by.htm
It's got names from almost every imaginable society. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but its a good guideline.

Oh, and its a kooky philosophy site (at least, thats what it seems to be at first glance), just so you know.

I scanned the Turkish names, and it's so-so, but I wouldn't expect the names there to be as accurate as more well-known cultures. There are some surnames and serious mispellings, as well as what I suspect are weird transliterations in very old Western sources.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
They are people who believe that names have power in themselves. I am not sure that it is philosophy, but they are quite widespread and well-known. If interested you can search Google Answers for some posts on them, which might explain more (there have been several questions there, answered on this subject)

http://answers.google.com/answers/

Grey Wolf

Some "Polish" names are...well... strange. Aaron, Abel and Abraham haven't been widely used since 1945, "Casimir", "Matthias" and "Matt" have their translations (Kazimierz and Mateusz), some names seems to be misspellt (Grzegoiz) and some I've never heard of (Smil, Wiecelaw and Prokhor for example).
So, if you fall in love to any Polish girl with consequences, rather don't try to choose baby's name from this list :))

Just as some others already said, the names of various smaller cultures are only half-accurate. Same with Lithuanian names. There is even such a serious error that there is no 'W' in our alphabeth, but there are many (mostly Polish) names with 'w's listed. Same with diphtongs 'ph', 'sz', 'cz', and some others.
I could say more about the errors, but the above is enough to give a general feeling. Why yes, there are many correct names, but seeing the whole list, I would better try to find a Zulu person myself and ask him about names of his culture than use that list. Well, maybe not Zulu, but with many other cultures, this would be the case :)

No, I've never heard of it. Possibly it could be given (people are strange sometimes), but certainly it's not Polish name.

Otis Tarda said:
Some "Polish" names are...well... strange. Aaron, Abel and Abraham haven't been widely used since 1945, "Casimir", "Matthias" and "Matt" have their translations (Kazimierz and Mateusz), some names seems to be misspellt (Grzegoiz) and some I've never heard of (Smil, Wiecelaw and Prokhor for example).
So, if you fall in love to any Polish girl with consequences, rather don't try to choose baby's name from this list :))

Hey! Thanks for the advice! My girlfriend's Polish!

(Indeed, I've just spent 5 years living in your wonderful land! I'm now living in Spain!)