Challenge: Founding Mother

The Challenge: Put at least one woman in the United States Constitutional Convention on an equal basis with the men. POD can be any time.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
RMG said:
The Challenge: Put at least one woman in the United States Constitutional Convention on an equal basis with the men. POD can be any time.

A real person, I'm assuming. Or can we make one up?

Xen

Banned
Yeah making one up is easy

Maybe Martha Washington can have something to do with it.

Or more challenging yet a black woman is a founding mother

Xen

Banned
OK a lesbian black woman slave having a part of this is ASB I think. Lets not push it.

Heres my go at the black woman Founding mother.

Elizabeth Darling was born in South Carolina in 1750, her family had been in slavery for many generations, thats all they knew. She grew up on a plantation just outside of Charleston, as a young girl she played with her masters kids but especially the oldest son Robert Darling. 5 years his junior, Elizabeth had a secret crush on him but knew better than it ever developing into anything. What she didn't know is Robert had developed feelings for her too, he taught her to read and write and to speak proper English. When she turned 16 her beauty was undeniable even the most soured heart couldn't help but to admire her beauty. It was shortly after her birthday that Robert and Elizabeth began their love affair. When Roberts father John found out, the old man flew into a rage, he felt his son had disgraced him for sleeping with a slave. John had arranged to sell Elizabeth to a James Wilkerson, a mean spirited Virginian, but before the deal could come through John died in his sleep and his estate went to Robert. Elizabeth though still a slave was placed at the head of the house just underneath Robert. The plantation became the wealthiest in South Carolina as she showed her talent for managing the estate.

Rumors continued to spread about the nature of her relationship with Robert, their love affair though spoke of in disgrace, was the envy of many in South Carolina. On Elizabeth's 21 birthday Robert gave her the gift of her freedom and asked for her hand in marriage. Though it shook the local community to its foundation, the plantation continued to prosper. In 1774, Elizabeth gave birth to her first child a daughter named Caroline.

In 1776 Elizabeth, and Caroline accompanied Robert to Philadelphia in support of the war of Independence. Shortly after arriving Robert died of pnemonia, Elizabeth spoke in his place. Her passion and intelligence moved the hearts of many, her beauty captivated those present. Benjamin Franklin was quoted "I have never met such a magnificent woman, if there is at least another like her, then I have to say women are indeed superior to men."

Elizabeth Darling is remembered as moving the hearts of the neutral to the Revolutionary cause. She played a cruxical role in the acceptance of the Constitution, and argued strongly against slavery and for womens rights. She was always victorious in her arguments. She went on to play a leading roll in the Fedralist Party, she died in Charleston SC in 1834.

Seriously I think the most likely chance would be a widow. Some widows were able to carry on their late husband's businesses. I guess you slightly increase widow's statust and have John Adams murdered by a Brit.

Abigail at the Convention would be interesting