Gnat effect query

Suppose I send several hypertech satellites back to 1800 to monitor the Earth. They only effect the planet through their gravitational (they weigh one pound) and light (they're about as bright as Pluto's moon Charon on Earth) effects. Does this infinitesimal perturbation change history?

In my opinion, there will be no effect until the 1930's or so, when we would have the technology to be able to see them whipping by. By the time of the manned missions, we might even be able to capture them, and take a look at what makes them tick.

Of course, if their orbits decay and they survive reentry, effects may come even sooner.

tom said:
Suppose I send several hypertech satellites back to 1800 to monitor the Earth. They only effect the planet through their gravitational (they weigh one pound) and light (they're about as bright as Pluto's moon Charon on Earth) effects. Does this infinitesimal perturbation change history?

As bright as Pluto's moon...how bright is that, actually? Could they happen to be spotted with one of those high-quality telescopes they kept building throughout the 1800s? That's the only POD I could think of. There's nothing in contemporary astrophysics that could explain them (especially if they have decaying orbits), which could give rise to wonderful speculation. It might even boost a space program much earlier and with more funding (though with what chances of success? - low ones, I'd guess).

What do you think? A scientist observes the passage of one of the satellites, reports it, is initially pooh-poohed, then others observe the same, the orbit is claculated and the scientific community of the 1880s needs to fit an obviously impermanent, very likely artificial object into their beautifully ordered Newtonian cosmology. It could give screwball theorists a whole new respectability...

Pluto's moon wasn't detected until the 70s so I doubt they will be noticed until maybe a space mission detects one.
I think this is a question about what the butterfly is exactly- these satalites effect nothing noticable though could they still cause changes on Earth.