question about China in early 1400s

I`ve been meticulously re-doing my Aztec Empire timeline, and I`ve had a few questions: How much did China know about Europe in the early 1400s? Did they know enough to want to establish a sea route to the continent? One of the ideas I had was that the Chinese create a huge fleet of ships for the purpose of sailing east toward Europe, bypassing Africa and the Indian subcontinent (This is pretty much what Columbus wanted), and eventually hitting the Aztecs in about 1407. Is the idea of Chinese sailing to Europe plausible?

China knew a bit about Europe, though exactly how much seems to be hard to tell. They were certainly aware of Europe's existence in general terms, and had been so for quite some time. If they really needed to know more, I guess they could always have asked Islamic traders. The question is, though - why would they want to go? True, if ever, the early reign of the Yongle emperor would be the right time. Still, I don't think there is anything the Chinese need to get from Europe. Their maritime horizon was dominated by the trade routes to India and Indonesia, Korea, Japan, and the security of the home seas. Without a pressing need to go further, why would they want to?

Of course, you could posit some need emerging suddenly - maybe high-quality glass and optics (a field in which, by the 1400s, Europe was leading)? I have no clue why China suddenly develops a huge need for eyeglasses and does not consider the option of developing a native industry (they could have), but right now it's all I can think of.

GURPS Ming-3 PoDs with Cheng Ho continuing his explorations. That is kinda like this.