Nonlinear effects on Alternate History

Chaos theory is well-known to most writers of alternate history (allohistorians,) the phrase "sensitivity to initial conditions" is well known, especially for us "for want of a nail" types.

But another effect of chaos is non-linearity. Take this example: one would expect that, if the American Revolution was lost, that the ATL Americans would use standard British spelling: colour, flavour, honour etc. What if this is not the case? That ATL American spelling is even more radical and phonetic than our Noah Webster dreamed, that we'd spell flavour as flevor? That we'd use the old Gothic letters: edh, thorn, ash, yogh etc?

actually i just finished my diploma and the work dealt with non-linear phenomenons in social systems. These systems happen to be self-organizing and are thus able to react to changes. this way they can go on existing without changes in a larger scale.
But I dont see the non-linear effects in your idea anyway?

Alayta said:
But I dont see the non-linear effects in your idea anyway?

I don't know quite what you mean about this. Usually when one thinks of linear phenonema that a cause promotes a proportional effect, like Newton's Second Law, F = ma, that greater acceleration equals greater force. In non-linear systems sometimes a greater force creates turbulence that leads to deceleration (that's why the winds on Jupiter are slower than on Neptune.)

Anyway, back to my example. One would expect that a British victory in the ARW would make American culture more British (proportional response.) If social organization is largely non-linear, would one expect a similarly non-linear effect, a suprise, an eddy in the mainstream that goes in the other direction, that even though North America looks British in the aggregate, that there are significant differences up close, like spelling, or the electoral system.

What do you think?

o.k. I made up my mind about it. lets put the non-linear thing away.

If the war is lost for america, that doesn´t mean england will keep it for ever. In fact, it is impossible in my opinion. England will leave america as late as 1848 or what would be the year with the revolutions in europe in this tl.
Than 2 alternatives are existing. America will be nearly like nowadays USA. Or on this territory will be 3 Nations, one on the atlantic mostly english and german. one on the pacific, independent aswell, mostly spain and mixed (frontier will be there anyway) and one nation on the caribbean, mostly french. (a little war about florida will bring it either to the atlantic or the caribbean nation)
What is with the differences in the language you are mentioning?
They will not very much affect this scenario so far. But at the moment, when the europeans are about to loose their colonies, it will be more difficult for the english-american nation to step in the british footprints (have i reveald my nationality with this idiomatic expression?) for their language is different. So america will be a less powerful global player, economically and espacially culturally.

Alayta said:
If the war is lost for america, that doesn´t mean england will keep it for ever. In fact, it is impossible in my opinion. England will leave america as late as 1848 or what would be the year with the revolutions in europe in this tl.
Than 2 alternatives are existing. America will be nearly like nowadays USA. Or on this territory will be 3 Nations, one on the atlantic mostly english and german. one on the pacific, independent aswell, mostly spain and mixed (frontier will be there anyway) and one nation on the caribbean, mostly french. (a little war about florida will bring it either to the atlantic or the caribbean nation).

Absolutely correct that Britain leaves America completely in 1848; see my British North America TL for details. There are *eight* Anglophone countries, a Republic of Louisiana and the Empire of Mexico owns the Southwest.

Alayta said:
What is with the differences in the language you are mentioning?
They will not very much affect this scenario so far. But at the moment, when the europeans are about to loose their colonies, it will be more difficult for the english-american nation to step in the british footprints (have i reveald my nationality with this idiomatic expression?) for their language is different. So america will be a less powerful global player, economically and espacially culturally.

Basically what I end up with is a sort of monarchical US (yes, the Americans got their own Emperor) that is every bit the global player that we are. I like talking about the little quirks in Alternate History; to me they're a refreshing change from the usual tiresome grand sweep of armies on the march...

Me too. But often small changes are overestimated. A butterfly can not start an Hurrican. It can, if anything, give his direction a change.
I believe in relativly stable systems. The social system of the western world in the last 400 years went in direction liberalisation and individalisation. I cant imagine how a emperor in america would fit into that development? Where can I find this TL?

When it comes to AH, I subscribe to the motto "the play goes on, only with new players."

The Emperor of North America (and King of its several Realms) is, of course, largely a figurehead. (I say largely because, among other things, his support of proportional representation for the Houses of Commons meddled in the constitution, a thing quite unusual for a mere figurehead to do.)

Last edited: