AH Challenge neither President nor Vice President a white male

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got any idea- as early as possible- for a circumstances where neither the President nor the Vice President is a white guy

I am guessing that the best candidates would be Margaret Chase Smith and Senator Brooke of Mass (Republicans)

Well OTL the best time was the only time that 1 hasnt been nominated-1984 with the Democratic VP nominee Geraldine Ferraro.But the great silent (and short-sighted) American majority was fat and happy because of good economic times so it was Reagan-Bush in a landslide.Dukakis-(Jesse)Jackson was a possibility in 1988 but again the chances of a slumbering populace booting Bush that year wasnt likely.You'd need an electorate more engaged and informed and worse economic times-which we thankfully got in 1992.Hey maybe then we could have had Clinton/Schroeder-as in Pat Schroeder the former "fighting liberal" congresswoman from Denver.It would have been fun to see her tear Dan Quayle apart in a VP debate. :D

Straha

Banned
in my magnum opus, the For All Strange Days TL I have President Carter Monoghan(2096-2100) with his VP being Martn Luthor Kin the 4th

was the economy that good in '84? I thought we were going through a mild recession at that time, and through a big part of the 80's in general. I always thought Mondale lost because he was such a dull candidate, rather bland and forgettable; he never made any lasting impression on me anyway...

David Howery said:
was the economy that good in '84? I thought we were going through a mild recession at that time, and through a big part of the 80's in general. I always thought Mondale lost because he was such a dull candidate, rather bland and forgettable; he never made any lasting impression on me anyway...

You're right. The economy was in a recession at the time. Mondale lost because he was a dull, bland candidate going against a charismatic, believeable (why shouldn't he be able to act both parts? he was an actor after all) incumbant President. He did not lose because the economy was good.

I think the economy began to improve in 1983/84, which is what helped Reagan defeat Mondale (in addition to Mondale's general ineptness).

have obama select hillary as his vp.

You know, I was ready for that in 2008. Up to the nomination, I really believed that would be what he'd do.

And of course, there was that infamous offer from Hillary in the primaries, Christmas 2007 it was, I believe. After Obama beat Clinton in the first two primaries, she openly suggested he would become her running mate and bring his followers over to her. Of course, by Christmas 2007, no one - Hillary included - had yet an idea that Obana would be THAT big.

As for the post, In the UK, we already had Margaret Thatcher in the 1980's. Also in the 80's several more Europen countries had female ministers in their cabinet slowly paving the way with several female head-of-states in the 1990's. So from a cultural standpoint, I would say that the world would be ready for a female US president by the mid 1980's and for a female president and either female or minority vice president by the mid 90's. However no particular person for that job from that timeframe comes to mind right now. Just saynig that if there were one, he/she could get elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.