Non Violent slave revolt

Maybe this would need ASB's. However if an underground movement could have arranged a massive- but NOT violent- strike prior to Nat Turner might it have made a difference?

Assume a link with Northern Abolitionism and an attempt to reach out to non slaveholding whites in the South

No MLK in slavery days

Derek, IMHO I think the prospects for a non-violent slave revolt pre-1831 are unlikely, given that this concept was only introduced by MLK and the civil rights movement in the 1960s, influenced by Gandhi's non-violence strategy of the 1920s to support Indian independence. I doubt that such a 20th C concept could've come into play at such an earlier date, although that could have a slight possibility of change if you could plausibly introduce a Northern abolitionist who somehow espouses such radical ideas.

Perhaps the best option for a pre-Nat Turner non-violent slave revolt could occur before the ARW and the solidification of black servitude into SLAVERY per se, at a point when both blacks and lower-class poor whites, as indentured servants, recognise, at a widespread grassroots level, that they're both being oppressed by the rich white landowners, and band together to protest against the status quo in a manner not escalating into direct violence.

On Civil Disobedience

I don't know if Thoreau was an Abolitionist, but he was an early theorist on civil disobedience as a tactic. Say if there had been greater opposition to the Mexican War, the idea could have spread and touched the Abolitionist movement. Of course, the 1840s are a little late, but still the image of Northerners going to jail with their heads held high over charges of abetting escape or hindering slave catchers might help. I doubt it would work for slaves, though.