American Siberia

Mikey said:
Is there any cahnce that Russia, in 1868 or at a later time, sell Siberia to the Untied States?
Kind of and not exactly. When Russia offered to sell Alaska, she also offered to sell Kamchatka (tat peninsula that is sticking out on the edge of the maps). Say if US decides to buy that, than they have a much better base of operation against communists during the civil war, and maybe they would be able to prop up some kind of White Russian state in the Far East. What Russians consider Siberia pretty much end at lake Baikal and anything wast of it Russia would fight tooth and nail for it. Also, Russia would NEVER sell that area around Vladivostok simply because it's their only ice-free exit to the Pacific.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Namor said:
Kind of and not exactly. When Russia offered to sell Alaska, she also offered to sell Kamchatka (tat peninsula that is sticking out on the edge of the maps). Say if US decides to buy that, than they have a much better base of operation against communists during the civil war, and maybe they would be able to prop up some kind of White Russian state in the Far East. What Russians consider Siberia pretty much end at lake Baikal and anything wast of it Russia would fight tooth and nail for it. Also, Russia would NEVER sell that area around Vladivostok simply because it's their only ice-free exit to the Pacific.

Really ??? I never knew about Kamchatka. Funny how the FACTS of history have a way of getting in the way of assumptions. Could I be so bold to ask for details of the proposal ?

Grey Wolf

Grey,

I don't know much about the Russians offering to sell Kamchatka, but they did offer to sell it. "Seward's Folly" was controversial enough; buying more icy waste didn't make sense at the time.

During the early Soviet period, an American businessman wanted to buy it and Lenin instead offered a 20-odd year lease, but he changed his mind when he figured out that the American wanted to build a capitalist economy there.

There was an article in "National Geographic" awhile back on the subject of Kamchatka. This is where my info comes from.

Strategos' Risk said:
Does anyone remember a thread created by someone about a super-imperialistic U.S. that buys Siberia?

Nope, but if it's a super-imperialistic US it might force Russia to sell Siberia to it at a discount after winning a war... (Note Sobel's "For want of a Nail", where SuperMexico AKA the "United States" takes Siberia, at least the eastern parts, from Russia).