President Clarence Darrow

Many Presidents have been lawyers, among them: John Adams, Abraham Lincoln, and Woodrow Wilson.

How could Clarence Seward Darrow, arguably one of the most prominent lawyers in American history, have become President of the United States?

Short (OTL) Biography:

Darrow, Clarence Seward (1857-1938), American lawyer, best known for his defense (1925) of John Scopes, a Tennessee high school teacher charged with teaching the theory of evolution. The play and movie Inherit the Wind were based on this famous trial.

Darrow was born in Kinsman, Ohio. He was admitted to the bar in 1878; from 1888 until his retirement in 1927, he practiced law in Chicago, acting as defense counsel in some of the most widely publicized cases of his time. His defense of the American labor organizer Eugene V. Debs in the American Railway Union case (1894) first brought him to national attention. Although criminal cases remained one of his chief sources of income, he participated in various cases involving labor disputes or social issues, championing the cause of the underprivileged. Among the famous trials in which he served as counsel for the defense were the trial of two brothers charged with dynamiting the Los Angeles Times building and the trial of college students Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb, charged with the motiveless killing of schoolboy Bobby Franks. Darrow opposed capital punishment, and no client he defended was sentenced to death. After retirement, he devoted himself to lecturing and writing.​

Grey Wolf

Donor
I used another lawyer Robert Lansing for a president in one of my recent abortive attempts. I think maybe it was easier with him as he was an international lawyer and represented the USA in international disputes, eg over Alaskan borders and waters. It would be harder for a domestic lawyer to rise to prominence on the back of being a lawyer alone I think

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
I used another lawyer Robert Lansing for a president in one of my recent abortive attempts.

Hmm. If I remember correctly (and I hope I do), Robert Lansing was the Secretary of State following Bryan's resignation in 1915 and he was the uncle of John Foster Dulles. Have Wilson have a heart attack or stroke in early 1916, and Lansing may very well be the next President. After all, the Vice President, Thomas Marshall, is a man most famous for saying “What this country needs is a good five-cent cigar" during a Senate hearing...