Composite TL II

Anyone interested in doing another Composite TL?

I'd like to do one starting in the early middle ages, starting around the fall of the Western Roman Empire or so. It was a chaotic time, so just a few small changes, here and there, could have a big impact. Perhaps something later would also work, but the latest I'd like would be the mongols. After them, its hard to really muck around with the populations of Eurasia.

So, what'dya say, guys?

Faeelin

Banned
Why not divvy it up by region, with some one doing broad sweeps?

Say, John takes byzantium, Rafi takes armenia/caucasus, etc.

I propose the muslim conquest of constantinople in the 7th century as our POD.

Faeelin said:
Why not divvy it up by region, with some one doing broad sweeps?

Say, John takes byzantium, Rafi takes armenia/caucasus, etc.

I propose the muslim conquest of constantinople in the 7th century as our POD.
Good idea, 'cept for the POD. :eek: Good Lord! Not The City 2.0! ;)

Perhaps we just pick a year, and start there, see where we go, w/o picking any specific POD.

I'd probably go for one of the Gothic Kingdoms or France.

Diamond

Banned
Scott's idea is a good one. We'd probably need a list of eligible nations/regions to choose from - kind of like a PBEM game?

Why not start it in 500 AD? Nice round number.

I've got dibs on the Lombard Duchies/northern Italy... :D

Dominus - this is a roadblock you're throwing in my way to prevent me getting any of my other projects done, right? :)

Diamond said:
Scott's idea is a good one. We'd probably need a list of eligible nations/regions to choose from - kind of like a PBEM game?

Why not start it in 500 AD? Nice round number.

I've got dibs on the Lombard Duchies/northern Italy... :D
Lets see, around 500, there were:
Britons/Celtic Kingdoms
Anglo-Saxons
Franks
Germans
Ostrogoths
Visigoths
Vandals
Byzantines
Lombards
Sassanids
Gepids
There were smaller ones as well, such as the Suvese, Basques, Burgundians (actually another Frankish kingdom),and others.
Plus, we've got the Slavs, Avars, Turks, Baltics, Norse, and, of course, the Arabs coming around eventually.
Did I miss any? Of course, there's also all the states in the east, should we include them?

So, one, maybe two per person. I'm thinking of the Visigoths, Ostrogoths,or Byzantines (if I take two, the Ostrogoths will definately be one).

Diamond said:
Dominus - this is a roadblock you're throwing in my way to prevent me getting any of my other projects done, right? :)
Nonsense. Pure and utter nonsense. Quiet, I say! Quiet!

Faeelin

Banned
DominusNovus said:
Good idea, 'cept for the POD. :eek: Good Lord! Not The City 2.0! ;)

What's wrong with that? I think that the dynamics of such a state would be interesting, and gives us lots to play with.

500 AD is a problem becuse we know so little about some areas during that time, but by 700 we get more info.

Faeelin said:
What's wrong with that? I think that the dynamics of such a state would be interesting, and gives us lots to play with.
Cuz I'm a Byzantinophile.
Faeelin said:
500 AD is a problem becuse we know so little about some areas during that time, but by 700 we get more info.
We can always just avoid some of the more mysterious regions (like the slavs and whatnot) until they become more involved in history. We could also just make some of the stuff up, if we have to. Its AH, after all.

Faeelin

Banned
Shucks, surely you see that a muslim constantinople would soon result in a hybrid islamic-grecian state in which, perhaps, the qu'ran is in greek? Where the caliph listens to muslim choirs, where bells are heard from the mosque of hagia sophia?

Faeelin said:
Shucks, surely you see that a muslim constantinople would soon result in a hybrid islamic-grecian state in which, perhaps, the qu'ran is in greek? Where the caliph listens to muslim choirs, where bells are heard from the mosque of hagia sophia?
Oh, that is a definate possibility, I agree. I'd simply prefer not to have a drastic POD this time. Just a few small ones, so they can butterfly into something larger. Perhaps Constantinople will fall anyway, if we start before the rise of Islam. Or perhaps Mecca falls to the Byzantines? Anything could happen.

cow defender said:
i hope its cool if i jump in on this too guys. what year were we going with 500?
Sure its cool, the more the merrier. Probably 500, but we'll wait for some more interest before we decide on a year.

Diamond

Banned
Faeelin said:
Sigh, fine, I call scandinavia.

LOL! Hey, 500 was just a suggestion; I thought it'd be fun to have time to tweak things in our respective regions before Islam came around - if it does. But 700 is fine too; hell, why don't we do 700 BC, if you REALLY want to get ambitious? :D

Diamond said:
LOL! Hey, 500 was just a suggestion; I thought it'd be fun to have time to tweak things in our respective regions before Islam came around - if it does. But 700 is fine too; hell, why don't we do 700 BC, if you REALLY want to get ambitious? :D
Nah. We're not that ambitious.

map

here's a map of europe ca. 500 AD.

500big.jpg

I call the tribes of northern Germany and the Netherlands, if that's all right. That'd be, primarily, the Frisians, Saxons, Bructeri, Abodrites, Liutizes, Veleti, and, if possible, the Pomeranians. Is that okay? I may have bit off more than I can chew. If that's too much, I'll settle for just the Frisians, Saxons, and Abodrites...

Actually, I may concentrate on the Wends, as well. A rather fascinating group, they were given the name in medieval times to describe all the Slavic tribes occupying the territory roughly between the Elbe and Saale rivers on the west and the Odra (Oder) River on the east. German rulers waged wars against the powerful Wends from about the 6th century, conquering and Christianizing them in the 12th century. A descendant group of the Wends, who call themselves Sorbs, has survived to the present day. The Sorbs number about 155,000 and are centered largely in the valley of the upper Spree River in Lusatia, a former region of eastern Germany and southwestern Poland. Their language, Wendish, or Sorbian, is a West Slavic language similar to Polish and Czech.

Perhaps, I'll incorporate them in with the German tribes. That could be interesting.

Last edited:
I would love to help, but I'm leaving in around 15 hours for Italy, and will not be back for around for a week, so if thier is anything I can do then please allow me to join in.

Nosb said:
I would love to help, but I'm leaving in around 15 hours for Italy, and will not be back for around for a week, so if thier is anything I can do then please allow me to join in.
This'll still be going on in a week, so I'm sure you could help out then.

Walter_Kaufmann said:
I call the tribes of northern Germany and the Netherlands, if that's all right. That'd be, primarily, the Frisians, Saxons, Bructeri, Abodrites, Liutizes, Veleti, and, if possible, the Pomeranians. Is that okay? I may have bit off more than I can chew. If that's too much, I'll settle for just the Frisians, Saxons, and Abodrites...

Actually, I may concentrate on the Wends, as well. A rather fascinating group, they were given the name in medieval times to describe all the Slavic tribes occupying the territory roughly between the Elbe and Saale rivers on the west and the Odra (Oder) River on the east. German rulers waged wars against the powerful Wends from about the 6th century, conquering and Christianizing them in the 12th century. A descendant group of the Wends, who call themselves Sorbs, has survived to the present day. The Sorbs number about 155,000 and are centered largely in the valley of the upper Spree River in Lusatia, a former region of eastern Germany and southwestern Poland. Their language, Wendish, or Sorbian, is a West Slavic language similar to Polish and Czech.

Perhaps, I'll incorporate them in with the German tribes. That could be interesting.
Those're some of the smaller ones, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if you wanted to take them, though we probably should see if anyone else wants any of them.

BTW, Kaufmann, I never noticed you're in Boston. Where abouts?