United we stand

If South had seceded, would there have been, after some time, some kind of "union" beetwen CSA and USA? If so, when?

I once read a TL in the People's Almanac where they rejoin on the Centennial of the ACW.

There might have been a mutually beneficial alliance, but I do not think that the two would have rejoined.

The CSA, as a source of agricultural products and as a market for goods would be valuable to an industrial North, but unless the CSA determines to industrailize, its internal intersts are too different.

On the other hand, if the CSA does industrailize, it becomes a competitor.

NATO--North American Treaty Organization, Dominion of Canada, USA, CSA, Empire of Mexico, Kingdom of Cuba Y Porto Rico, Republic of Hispanolia,

Many of the border states were close to 50/50 in thier feelings of the south. Kentucky being one, I could easily see it flip flopping between the US and CS. Utah is another prime suspect, having failed at a secession attempt a few years earlier it invaribly could try to petition the CSA to act on its behalf in the creation of Deseret. Missuori had a minority that had strong leanings to the CS, but I doubt even if given a chance to walk out of the union it would, so you could bet it would stay in the union forever, Tennessee is another state in the confederacy that favored the Union, its not outside the realm of possiblity that it would resubmit to union rule. If it got out that Maryland residents were held without trial at the order of Ben Butler you may see Maryland walk out of the union.

It really just depends on at what point the CSA got recognized.

Faeelin

Banned
Otis Tarda said:
If South had seceded, would there have been, after some time, some kind of "union" beetwen CSA and USA? If so, when?

Mebbee...

But why? A free trade agreement, maybe. But if the nations are doing well, no one will want reunification. If the CSA is doing poorly, the North would probably look on and gloat.

Unless there was some movement in the north to retake the south, at any cost. Alsace Lorraine writ large.

I thought about doing I timeline about this topic....

The Confederation of North American states would be formally inaugurated on July 4, 1976.