1984: Jimmie Carter Tried With Treason

I have just completed reading "Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty-Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism" written by Peter Schweizer. While the book was of course focused on Reagan it has some interesting tidbits on Jimmy Carter and his efforts to defeat Reagan in both the 1980 and 1984 elections.

According to Schweizer, late in the 1980 campaign Carter sent Armand Hammer to the Soviet embassy for a secret meeting with Ambassador Dobrynin. Hammer told Dobrynin that Carter was alarmed at how the election was going and wanted to know if Moscow could do anything to help. One of the suggestions was that Moscow could expand Jewish emigration. If was felt that this could improve Carter's image "as a man who could deal effectively with Moscow." It was thought that this would make a difference is several states. Hammer promised that Carter would not forget this if reelected.

In 1984 when Reagan was running against Mondale, Carter himself visited Dobrynin. Schweizer writes "Carter was concerned about Reagan's defense buildup, Dobrynin recalled. The former president went on to explain that Moscow and the world would be better off with someone else in the White House. Otherwise, "there would not be a single agreement on arms control, especially on nuclear arms, as long as Reagan remained in power.""

My question is that, if these files were leaked, could this have produced enough support to make congress consider “treasonâ€. I mean, we have Nixon's paranoia and the public's infatuation with the liberal media to thank for providing an opportunity for a man who was either a complete fool or an active enemy of this nation to become president. Nixon found out the hard way that the cover-up is always worse than the crime (but that only works with republicans). But in retrospect I think that the Boland Amendment was calculated to do harm to the Reagan Administration and the US in the bargain.

The United States had NOT declared war on the Soviet Union. Treason in the United States is making war against the United States.

Compare and contrast the Reagan administration's selling arms to kidnappers and using the money gained to illegally arm terrorists in Central America

I hate to say I agree with Derek Jackson but.......I agree with Derek Jackson. A treason charge against President Carter for this would fall on its face. Derek is wrong in his implication there is a need for a formal war declaration. People were convicted of treason for Korean War related activities. There has to be at least an open state of hostilities. That wasnt present at the time in question. Add to that you have to have aid and comfort. I dont see these acts were meant to directly aid and comfort the Soviets as they were to keep/get a Democrat in the White House. As unsavory as they are, its not treason. The charge wouldnt get past a Grand Jury and anyone connected to it would look like a fool.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Are any of you familiar with the song "Jimmy Carter Says Yes" from the Great American Song-Poem Anthology? Yes? Alright, then, all together -

Can our government
Be competent?
Jimmy Carter says Yes!
Jimmy Carter says Yes!

Can our government
Be honest?
Jimmy Carter says Yes!
Jimmy Carter says Yes!

Can our government
Be decent and open?
As the 39th President, he has spoken -
Jimmy Carter says Yes!

(spoken)
As your President, I, Jimmy Carter
Know it is possible to run a government efficiently
With out sin or any corruption
I will do my level best
To run the government decently without any statement of eruption
Errors and wrongdoings I will reveal to the public
For corruption whie I'm in office I will not barter
I'll stand tall like Old Glory, faithful to the Republic
Security will prevail as sure as I'm the President.
-President Jimmy Carter.​
Jimmy, Jimmy Carter
Our 39th President!
Jimmy, Jimmy Carter
Our 39th President!