Heligoland stays British

Heligoland was a British posession fpr a time, transfered to Germany in 1890 in exchange for Zanzibar. Suppose that Britain had retained and fortified the island. What would happen in 1914?

Grey Wolf

Donor
NHBL said:
Heligoland was a British posession fpr a time, transfered to Germany in 1890 in exchange for Zanzibar. Suppose that Britain had retained and fortified the island. What would happen in 1914?

Hmm, so Germany still has Zanzibar ? That would make the war in East Africa quite interesting ! I would also expect there to be one or two more warships there than in OTL, perhaps some of the sloop cruisers of the Geier class, or a gunboat or two

As for Heligoland, its possession IMHO will mean that the RN never abandons the practise of close blockade

However, I would think the fact that Heligoland has remained British will have had severe and long-term impacts on German war plans. Assuming that Tirpitz's fleet still gets built, the repurcussions of this require me to study a map !

Grey Wolf

btw check out Tom B's new 'Operation Unicorn' post at :-
http://pub188.ezboard.com/falternatehistoryfictoryfrm7
Methinks you will like it

Grey Wolf

Donor
Leej said:
Never heard of this place, seems interesting. I do like a good island...

Its sitting as the cornerstone of the Heligoland Bight - i.e. controlling access to Germany's North Sea ports, or at least the major ones, and also in a good position vis-a-vis the egress from the Kiel Canal

I've forgotten the exact and confusing nature as to how it came into British hands, but it was legally a possession of the duchy of Schleswig-Holstein. Thus when Prussia annexed Schleswig-Holstein after 1866 it could now establish a legal claim to it, which it did after the creation of the German Empire. Or something like that !

Grey Wolf

Amphib assault WWI by Germans ?

Could the Germans during WWI in this ATL of a British Heligoland in 1914, as part of their plan to break the Allied blockade, have tried to mount an amphib invasion of Heligoland, or would this have proved a costly failure given the RN's superiority ?